View Full Version : Always 4 audio Channels with Sony Pxw-x70

Kurt Mestdagh
March 11th, 2020, 02:11 AM
When i edit in Premiere Pro, i always have 4 audio channel tracks while i just used the internal mic of the camera. Can i adjust that in the menu of the camera?
Thans by probation

Doug Jensen
March 11th, 2020, 05:31 AM
There is nothing onboard the camera that can change how many audio channels are recorded. But stripping off unwanted channels from all the clips at once in Premiere is easy when you select them all and then right click on a clip and choose Modify Audio. It is non-destructive so you can always undo it if you change your mind.

Pete Cofrancesco
March 11th, 2020, 07:06 AM
I think what he is saying is Premiere creates additional empty tracks in the timeline. You can manually delete empty tracks by right clicking or you can make a custom preset in Preferences. https://www.versluis.com/2015/06/how-to-avoid-empty-audio-tracks-in-premiere-pro/

I’m guessing Premiere thinks most people will want add a sound track for music.

Doug Jensen
March 11th, 2020, 06:16 PM
No, what I think he is saying is that when he drags an X70 onto the timeline there are four channels of audio and at least two of them will always be empty. But nevertheless, they are there taking up space. If he follows my suggestion, he can strip off any (or even all) of the channels (for all clips at once) before dragging them to the timeline. So no extra tracks will be created and then no extra tracks will have to be deleted. I'm sure that is what he is talking about because this comes up all the time and is one of the issues I cover in my master classes.

Pete Cofrancesco
March 11th, 2020, 11:04 PM
You must be right then.

Kurt Mestdagh
March 12th, 2020, 01:50 PM
Dear people, thank you for your explanation. Have followed the advice of Doug Jensen.
I can also delete the empty tracks separately, I now know that I do not have to change the settings of my video camera. Thanks everyone.