View Full Version : Facebook Live

Pete Cofrancesco
June 12th, 2020, 05:18 PM
Today I ran a test at the client's studio for an upcoming streaming event but my laptop didn't work. My setup was as follows:
camcorder > hdmi > magewell encoder > usb > Laptop

I first used my laptop (Dell XPS 1 year old). On the Facebook page using Firefox, I was able to select the Magwell for the video but the screen was black, note the built in laptop camera worked. When I used either Zoom or OBS the camcorder video through Magewell worked.

As a last resort I tried the client's old mac laptop (like 10 years old) and it worked!
So that's what we will use but any ideas on why my laptop wouldn't work?

Patrick Tracy
June 12th, 2020, 05:24 PM
Did you try connecting to FB Live via OBS ("Use Stream Key")?

Pete Cofrancesco
June 13th, 2020, 11:24 AM
Did you try connecting to FB Live via OBS ("Use Stream Key")?

We tried that but it didn’t seem to work. I’m not as well versed in OBS. I’ve used it only for screen recording not streaming.But we did copy the code from facebook into the Stream settings in OBS... I don’t even know what a successful stream looks like. With Zoom meetings it’s obvious when you are connected and you can see if others are attending. I had someone else there following a youtube tutorial how to stream to facebook but she said it wasn’t working.

I forgot my Magewell at their studio once I get it back I can run more tests.

Patrick Tracy
June 13th, 2020, 06:46 PM
I'm no OBS expert. Forgive me if you've already done all this. I don't mean to lecture, I'm just trying to be thorough.

In the bottom right of the main screen there's a Settings button. That brings up a window with a column of options on the left. In Stream, there's a dropdown menu near the key field which has to be set to the right service (YouTube, Facebook, whatever).

Then you close that and go back to the bottom right and click Start Streaming. It should then show up in the YT or FB.

I should add that I leave the YT or FB page open while setting up OBS, once I get the key.

Pete Cofrancesco
June 13th, 2020, 08:18 PM
That’s helpful when I get a chance I’ll try that.