Facebook Live at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video

Old June 12th, 2020, 05:18 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Facebook Live

Today I ran a test at the client's studio for an upcoming streaming event but my laptop didn't work. My setup was as follows:
camcorder > hdmi > magewell encoder > usb > Laptop

I first used my laptop (Dell XPS 1 year old). On the Facebook page using Firefox, I was able to select the Magwell for the video but the screen was black, note the built in laptop camera worked. When I used either Zoom or OBS the camcorder video through Magewell worked.

As a last resort I tried the client's old mac laptop (like 10 years old) and it worked!
So that's what we will use but any ideas on why my laptop wouldn't work?
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2020, 05:24 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Facebook Live

Did you try connecting to FB Live via OBS ("Use Stream Key")?
Patrick Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2020, 11:24 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Tracy View Post
Did you try connecting to FB Live via OBS ("Use Stream Key")?
We tried that but it didn’t seem to work. I’m not as well versed in OBS. I’ve used it only for screen recording not streaming.But we did copy the code from facebook into the Stream settings in OBS... I don’t even know what a successful stream looks like. With Zoom meetings it’s obvious when you are connected and you can see if others are attending. I had someone else there following a youtube tutorial how to stream to facebook but she said it wasn’t working.

I forgot my Magewell at their studio once I get it back I can run more tests.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2020, 06:46 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm no OBS expert. Forgive me if you've already done all this. I don't mean to lecture, I'm just trying to be thorough.

In the bottom right of the main screen there's a Settings button. That brings up a window with a column of options on the left. In Stream, there's a dropdown menu near the key field which has to be set to the right service (YouTube, Facebook, whatever).

Then you close that and go back to the bottom right and click Start Streaming. It should then show up in the YT or FB.

I should add that I leave the YT or FB page open while setting up OBS, once I get the key.
Patrick Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2020, 08:18 PM   #5
Inner Circle

That’s helpful when I get a chance I’ll try that.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video