View Full Version : Sony FX6?

Alfred Okocha
July 6th, 2020, 06:09 AM
Hi there!

Are there any news at all about a possible launch date for the FX6? My first gen FS5 i slowly breaking down and I've been looking forward to update my camera.

A bit desperate for some news though...

David Barnett
August 8th, 2020, 08:49 AM
I realize this post is a month old, but the a7siii was just released, if you'd consider that. Otherwise, my guess for the FX6 would then be either later in the year (Oct/Nov), or Jan/Feb to NAB time around April. I followed the a7siii fairly intensely as I too was in need, and those tended to be the rumored release times (also A9 & A7R's would pop up as rumors)

Alfred Okocha
August 13th, 2020, 02:21 AM
Yes, I saw that. It's really not ideal to work with still size cameras for me but... it seems like I may have to if I want to stick to Sony...
It's been rumoured since the FX9 so really don't understand the hold up... A bit frustrating tbh. Some info from the company would go a long way.

David Barnett
August 14th, 2020, 11:23 AM
I agree. If you can wait, I'd expect it probably early next year (January-April), maybe at NAB. Possibly sooner (Nov/Dec)

Alfred Okocha
November 17th, 2020, 03:13 PM
So, it's here. Great news.

My current set-up is a FS5 with canon lenses. However, to use the new autofocus system it seems better to use native lenses. I have no experience with Sony lenses but I'm struggling to find an equivalent of what's my work horse right now. The Canon F4 16-35L.
On the wish list is a wide, weather sealed, zoom with steady shot. Is there any Sony or other e-mount that fits the bill?

THanks.

David Barnett
November 24th, 2020, 02:36 PM
Nice that you held out for it, and your time has come.

Sigma makes really good lenses, might wanna look into them if cost is a thing. Otherwise Sonys G Lens is pretty expensive, 24-70 f2.8 for $2,000. They might have other models for less, I had like a 24-200 but it wasn't really that good, wouldn't put it on the FX-6.

Allan Black
November 24th, 2020, 04:31 PM
The FX6 is now creating waves around the forums, ‘it has an amazing feature set for the price.’

And it should start a new wave of competition, hopefully with better prices. Dealers should then package the FX6 together with some nice lenses. There’s a few videos ...

Choosing between the FX6, A7s III and FX9 | Part 1 - Ergonomics and features - YouTube

Cheers.

Allan Black
November 29th, 2020, 03:09 PM
For those interested, here’s a good report by an FX6 user ...

Sony FX6 – A Brief Introduction with Alister Chapman - YouTube

Cheers.

Allan Black
December 2nd, 2020, 06:18 PM
Here’s another good report. If you’re thinking of crowd funding yours, please let me go first.

Sony FX6 | Cinema camera | Overview - YouTube

Cheers.

Allan Black
January 23rd, 2021, 02:46 PM
This is a good comparison between the Sony FX6 and the Sony a7S111.

The FX6 is about 2.5 grand more expensive so it probably comes down to what you want it for, pro or hobby work.

https://wolfcrow.com/sony-fx6-vs-sony-a7s-iii/

Cheers.

Doug Jensen
January 23rd, 2021, 03:47 PM
Worthless article. Clearly written from a still photographer's perspective who doesn't understand the numerous important advantages that the FX6 offers professionals who shoot video for a living. The list of what he left out would be too long to even try to fill in the gaps.

But with that said, he also blows any credibility he may have by overlooking the single most important advantage the A7siii has over the FX6 . . . . a freaking viewfinder!! THAT is, by far, the number one advantage of the A7Siii but he doesn't even mention it. Adding a proper EVF to the FX6 is not cheap or easy and should be factored into a purchase decision.