View Full Version : HXR-NX80 white balance

Randy Johnson
August 23rd, 2020, 07:25 PM
So I am a little old school when it comes to focus iris and white balance. I have been learning the ins and outs of my HXR-NX80, is it true that in order to maunally white balance I need to go into the menu every time I need to white in a card?! tell me im doing something wrong

Doug Jensen
August 24th, 2020, 06:04 AM
If you want to use the A and B white balance memories with a white card you must first program one of the Assign Buttons for White Balance Set. With the default settings, the camera does not have a White Balance Set button.

BTW, using a white card to set white balance is not "old school". It is still the only way to set an accurate white balance, and always will be.

Randy Johnson
August 24th, 2020, 06:47 PM
thats kinda a shame I cant assign that to a button, weird way to do things. I do a lot of on the fly white balances. thanks for the reply

Randy

Doug Jensen
August 24th, 2020, 07:41 PM
Sorry, I don't understand your reply. What exactly is it that you think the camera cannot do? I don't get what the issue is. What do you want to assign to a button that you think cannot be assigned? Once you assign of the buttons for WB Set, the camera works the same way as every other pro Sony camera.

Christopher Young
August 27th, 2020, 11:19 PM
Second Doug's sentiments.

I programed the Assign Button #6 to WB SET on the Z90. Pretty sure it's the same on the 80. After that, it's just a matter of hitting the WB button on the body adjacent to the screen then selecting Memory A or B via the rotary selector on the front of the body then just hitting Assign Button #6 and you get a very fast white balance stored in whichever menu you selected, A or B. That will remain stored even after the camera has been turned off. Nice to have it retained when you turn the camera back on. It's all in the manual. Pages #47 and #63 for the HXR-NX80.

Chris Young

Randy Johnson
August 31st, 2020, 12:28 PM
I meant assign the manual white balance set to a button. ie im in white balance A and I find a white card. instead of having to go into the menu to hit set I could just do it from one of the programmable buttons

Doug Jensen
August 31st, 2020, 02:21 PM
Yes, you can do that. You can program the camera so that you never have to use the menus ever again to set the white balance. You aim the camera at a white card, press an assign button, start shooting. Simple.
That's exactly what I said in post #2.

Donald McPherson
September 1st, 2020, 01:19 AM
Here's a video of howto using assign button.

https://youtu.be/s3fU0Cqi_sk?t=23

Christopher Young
September 1st, 2020, 04:27 AM
I meant assign the manual white balance set to a button. ie im in white balance A and I find a white card. instead of having to go into the menu to hit set I could just do it from one of the programmable buttons

Color me puzzled by your response!

That is exactly what I and Doug have outlined. No need to go into a menu other than to program which button you want to use for the white balance. You set it up ONCE in the menu. From there on in all you need to do is point the camera at a white/grey card and push a button. Simple. It's all in the manual. I've even given you the page numbers so you can set the camera up that way. Doug said exactly the same thing in slightly different terms. If you don't bother to read the responses that people make to help 'you' solve your query then why bother to post.

Chris Young