HXR-NX80 white balance at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds
Pro and consumer versions including PXW-Z150, PXW-Z100, PXW-X70 / FDR-AX100

Old August 23rd, 2020, 07:25 PM   #1
Trustee

HXR-NX80 white balance

So I am a little old school when it comes to focus iris and white balance. I have been learning the ins and outs of my HXR-NX80, is it true that in order to maunally white balance I need to go into the menu every time I need to white in a card?! tell me im doing something wrong
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2020, 06:04 AM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: HXR-NX80 white balance

If you want to use the A and B white balance memories with a white card you must first program one of the Assign Buttons for White Balance Set. With the default settings, the camera does not have a White Balance Set button.

BTW, using a white card to set white balance is not "old school". It is still the only way to set an accurate white balance, and always will be.
Old August 24th, 2020, 06:47 PM   #3
Trustee

thats kinda a shame I cant assign that to a button, weird way to do things. I do a lot of on the fly white balances. thanks for the reply

Randy
Old August 24th, 2020, 07:41 PM   #4
Vortex Media

Sorry, I don't understand your reply. What exactly is it that you think the camera cannot do? I don't get what the issue is. What do you want to assign to a button that you think cannot be assigned? Once you assign of the buttons for WB Set, the camera works the same way as every other pro Sony camera.
Old August 27th, 2020, 11:19 PM   #5
Trustee

Second Doug's sentiments.

I programed the Assign Button #6 to WB SET on the Z90. Pretty sure it's the same on the 80. After that, it's just a matter of hitting the WB button on the body adjacent to the screen then selecting Memory A or B via the rotary selector on the front of the body then just hitting Assign Button #6 and you get a very fast white balance stored in whichever menu you selected, A or B. That will remain stored even after the camera has been turned off. Nice to have it retained when you turn the camera back on. It's all in the manual. Pages #47 and #63 for the HXR-NX80.

Chris Young
Attached Thumbnails
HXR-NX80 white balance-z90-assign-01.jpg   HXR-NX80 white balance-z90-assign-02.jpg  

Christopher Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2020, 12:28 PM   #6
Trustee

I meant assign the manual white balance set to a button. ie im in white balance A and I find a white card. instead of having to go into the menu to hit set I could just do it from one of the programmable buttons
Old August 31st, 2020, 02:21 PM   #7
Vortex Media

Yes, you can do that. You can program the camera so that you never have to use the menus ever again to set the white balance. You aim the camera at a white card, press an assign button, start shooting. Simple.
That's exactly what I said in post #2.

Last edited by Doug Jensen; August 31st, 2020 at 03:17 PM.
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2020, 01:19 AM   #8
Major Player

Here's a video of howto using assign button.

Old September 1st, 2020, 04:27 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
I meant assign the manual white balance set to a button. ie im in white balance A and I find a white card. instead of having to go into the menu to hit set I could just do it from one of the programmable buttons
Color me puzzled by your response!

That is exactly what I and Doug have outlined. No need to go into a menu other than to program which button you want to use for the white balance. You set it up ONCE in the menu. From there on in all you need to do is point the camera at a white/grey card and push a button. Simple. It's all in the manual. I've even given you the page numbers so you can set the camera up that way. Doug said exactly the same thing in slightly different terms. If you don't bother to read the responses that people make to help 'you' solve your query then why bother to post.

Chris Young
Christopher Young is online now   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony 4K Ultra HD Handhelds