View Full Version : Canon XLH1 Time Code

John Moye
September 21st, 2020, 07:48 AM
I just learned about syncing two or more Canon XL2 camcorders using the WL-D4000 wireless remote control. Syncing the camcorders requires having a backup time/date battery installed in each camcorder, and all camcorders being on the same IR channel.
I want to do the same with my two Canon XLh1 camcorders. Problem arises, in that the Canon XLh1 has a rechargeable battery, that cannot be replaced. Does anyone know of a work-a-round, if and when the rechargeable time/date battery in the XLH1 stops working? For the life of me. I cannot understand why Canon would put the backup time/date battery in a place where it cannot be reached or replaced W/O destroying the camcorder.
For a bit of background. I am 65 years of age. have been a still photographer for over 40 years. Am in semi-retirement. I enrolled in a video production class at local college. For my last project, I used two Canon XLH1 camcorders. At that time, I did not understand about camera syncing. Had some sound syncing problems. Gave me quite a scare. Sound issues were fixed in post-production. Would like to avoid sync problems in the future, once CO-VID 19 is no longer a problem, and I feel safe to attend classes once more. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris Soucy
September 21st, 2020, 07:36 PM
Hi, John.......................

This post would get a lot more traction if it was relocated here:

https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/

Maybe one of the mods will oblige.

To be going on with, my understanding is that cameras with a rechargeable INTERNAL non replaceable "battery" will hold date/ time etc information for 1 - 2 MONTHS if not recharged (no bets accepted on those figures).

However, if the camera is in regular use (daily/ weekly) the EXTERNAL rechargeable battery will automatically recharge the INTERNAL battery during said use.

If the camera is not to be used for some time and date/ time information must not be lost due to an INTERNAL flat battery, it can safely be kept connected to a live compatible external battery charger/ power adapter with the camera switched OFF (this applies to the Canon XH A1 series of cameras - check the manual for your particular poison, it may not be valid!).

Maybe the above forum will be more forthcoming with info.

Regards,

CS

Chris Soucy
September 26th, 2020, 01:56 PM
John,

If my post helped any, do say. You get zero/ nill/ nein/ zilch DVinfo browny points by not responding.

If it didn't help any, do say. See second sentence above.

Regards,

CS