Canon XLH1 Time Code at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old September 21st, 2020, 07:48 AM   #1
Tourist

Canon XLH1 Time Code

I just learned about syncing two or more Canon XL2 camcorders using the WL-D4000 wireless remote control. Syncing the camcorders requires having a backup time/date battery installed in each camcorder, and all camcorders being on the same IR channel.
I want to do the same with my two Canon XLh1 camcorders. Problem arises, in that the Canon XLh1 has a rechargeable battery, that cannot be replaced. Does anyone know of a work-a-round, if and when the rechargeable time/date battery in the XLH1 stops working? For the life of me. I cannot understand why Canon would put the backup time/date battery in a place where it cannot be reached or replaced W/O destroying the camcorder.
For a bit of background. I am 65 years of age. have been a still photographer for over 40 years. Am in semi-retirement. I enrolled in a video production class at local college. For my last project, I used two Canon XLH1 camcorders. At that time, I did not understand about camera syncing. Had some sound syncing problems. Gave me quite a scare. Sound issues were fixed in post-production. Would like to avoid sync problems in the future, once CO-VID 19 is no longer a problem, and I feel safe to attend classes once more. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
John Moye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2020, 07:36 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Canon XLH1 Time Code

Hi, John.......................

This post would get a lot more traction if it was relocated here:

https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-x...dv-camcorders/

Maybe one of the mods will oblige.

To be going on with, my understanding is that cameras with a rechargeable INTERNAL non replaceable "battery" will hold date/ time etc information for 1 - 2 MONTHS if not recharged (no bets accepted on those figures).

However, if the camera is in regular use (daily/ weekly) the EXTERNAL rechargeable battery will automatically recharge the INTERNAL battery during said use.

If the camera is not to be used for some time and date/ time information must not be lost due to an INTERNAL flat battery, it can safely be kept connected to a live compatible external battery charger/ power adapter with the camera switched OFF (this applies to the Canon XH A1 series of cameras - check the manual for your particular poison, it may not be valid!).

Maybe the above forum will be more forthcoming with info.

Regards,

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2020, 01:56 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: Canon XLH1 Time Code

John,

If my post helped any, do say. You get zero/ nill/ nein/ zilch DVinfo browny points by not responding.

If it didn't help any, do say. See second sentence above.

Regards,

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion