View Full Version : I'm going to be shooting some Irish Riverdance

Kris Zimbelman
March 12th, 2021, 01:32 PM
I'm going to be shooting some Irish Riverdance at an outdoor pavilion tomorrow. Should I shoot this in 4K 60 P due to the swift movement of the dancers and possibly some artistic license in slowing that down on the timeline? Or should I go for a more cinematic look by shooting it in 24 P? There should be plenty of light so that won't be a problem.

Paul R Johnson
March 12th, 2021, 02:21 PM
This is a call for the client. Offer both pathways and let them choose. From experience, Irish dance is extremely rigid and controlled. The things they do with their lower body are vitally important. You might find that the artistic approach prevents the viewer seeing the things that get points in their competitions and judging - you hear them yelling about batters and trembles and the noises the heels make. If these cannot be seen because of motion blur, this could be a benefit or a real showstopper. On the other hand, this might actually hide issues, which could be an advantage. What is for certain is you cannot guess. With the emphasis so clearly on the lower half of the body, getting it wrong can be really bad.

Pete Cofrancesco
March 12th, 2021, 02:40 PM
I shoot all events in 30p. You can film 60p if you want to be able to slow it down and repurpose clips of the performance for things like promotional trailers. Usually when someone hires you to video a staged performance they want it to look like it did. 24p in my view should be reserved creative projects where it makes sense to try to emulate the look of filmed cinema movies. I think there is a misconception that 24p has some sort on intrinsic value when it doesn't.

Bob Hart
March 16th, 2021, 11:48 AM
Don't forget a close-up on the feet. Be patient with this clip. There is along blackout between the band and the dancers.

JARRAH CELTS IRISH DANCERS CATHY TRAVERS JULL STREET MALL SAMPLER - YouTube