I'm going to be shooting some Irish Riverdance at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series
4K and AVCHD via compact point & shoot "bridge" cameras.

Old March 12th, 2021, 01:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

I'm going to be shooting some Irish Riverdance

I'm going to be shooting some Irish Riverdance at an outdoor pavilion tomorrow. Should I shoot this in 4K 60 P due to the swift movement of the dancers and possibly some artistic license in slowing that down on the timeline? Or should I go for a more cinematic look by shooting it in 24 P? There should be plenty of light so that won't be a problem.
Old March 12th, 2021, 02:21 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: I'm going to be shooting some Irish Riverdance

This is a call for the client. Offer both pathways and let them choose. From experience, Irish dance is extremely rigid and controlled. The things they do with their lower body are vitally important. You might find that the artistic approach prevents the viewer seeing the things that get points in their competitions and judging - you hear them yelling about batters and trembles and the noises the heels make. If these cannot be seen because of motion blur, this could be a benefit or a real showstopper. On the other hand, this might actually hide issues, which could be an advantage. What is for certain is you cannot guess. With the emphasis so clearly on the lower half of the body, getting it wrong can be really bad.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2021, 02:40 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I shoot all events in 30p. You can film 60p if you want to be able to slow it down and repurpose clips of the performance for things like promotional trailers. Usually when someone hires you to video a staged performance they want it to look like it did. 24p in my view should be reserved creative projects where it makes sense to try to emulate the look of filmed cinema movies. I think there is a misconception that 24p has some sort on intrinsic value when it doesn't.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2021, 11:48 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Don't forget a close-up on the feet. Be patient with this clip. There is along blackout between the band and the dancers.

Last edited by Bob Hart; March 16th, 2021 at 12:02 PM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX LX / FZ / ZS Series