View Full Version : New HD100 on it's way, need sticks

Daniel Patton
November 23rd, 2005, 01:25 PM
We have a new baby coming (JVC GY-HD100) and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good solution for the sticks for my application.

I head to New York (the week after next) to do a variety of shooting and need a good set of sticks that won't weigh me down too much, yet that will be solid. I'm also going to need a good smooth pan/tilt head with my purchase.

If you had a budget of $500 - $1000 what would you look at with this camera? Could you do it in that price range? Or do I need to budget more?

By the way, I tried searching for some answers and the "Search" link did nothing... is it broken?

Jiri Bakala
November 23rd, 2005, 01:44 PM
You won't get a really good tripod for that amount. The best might be some Manfrotto (Bogen) but those systems have friction heads, not fluid and I don't like them as the pan and tilt is not very smooth, particularily with a heavier load (i.e. matte box, follow focus, monitor, big batteries, etc.).

I would suggest Sachtler DV6 SB for $1,879, they have it at B&H in NY so you could pick it up when you are there. Call ahead though to check availability.

Here is a link:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=383259&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Tim Dashwood
November 23rd, 2005, 01:56 PM
By the way, I tried searching for some answers and the "Search" link did nothing... is it broken?

Since the software upgrade we have been having some issues with the pop-up search functions. Use this link to go directly to the advanced search and then select "JVC GY-HD100" from the "Search In Forums" list.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/search.php?

Daniel Patton
November 23rd, 2005, 04:42 PM
Yep, that Sachtler configuration is the same one they used at our last shoot (hired camera crew), and I liked the results I saw in the final footage.

It's a done deal then, I added the Sachtler to the purchase order. I was way over budget with Camera, Deck, sticks, etc., but this should give us a good overall solution.

I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks for the functional search link Tim!