New HD100 on it's way, need sticks at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old November 23rd, 2005, 01:25 PM   #1
Major Player

New HD100 on it's way, need sticks

We have a new baby coming (JVC GY-HD100) and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good solution for the sticks for my application.

I head to New York (the week after next) to do a variety of shooting and need a good set of sticks that won't weigh me down too much, yet that will be solid. I'm also going to need a good smooth pan/tilt head with my purchase.

If you had a budget of $500 - $1000 what would you look at with this camera? Could you do it in that price range? Or do I need to budget more?

By the way, I tried searching for some answers and the "Search" link did nothing... is it broken?
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 01:44 PM   #2
Major Player

You won't get a really good tripod for that amount. The best might be some Manfrotto (Bogen) but those systems have friction heads, not fluid and I don't like them as the pan and tilt is not very smooth, particularily with a heavier load (i.e. matte box, follow focus, monitor, big batteries, etc.).

I would suggest Sachtler DV6 SB for $1,879, they have it at B&H in NY so you could pick it up when you are there. Call ahead though to check availability.

Here is a link:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
Old November 23rd, 2005, 01:56 PM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Patton
By the way, I tried searching for some answers and the "Search" link did nothing... is it broken?
Since the software upgrade we have been having some issues with the pop-up search functions. Use this link to go directly to the advanced search and then select "JVC GY-HD100" from the "Search In Forums" list.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/search.php
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 04:42 PM   #4
Major Player

Yep, that Sachtler configuration is the same one they used at our last shoot (hired camera crew), and I liked the results I saw in the final footage.

It's a done deal then, I added the Sachtler to the purchase order. I was way over budget with Camera, Deck, sticks, etc., but this should give us a good overall solution.

I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks for the functional search link Tim!
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems