Rockin' Rig at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old November 21st, 2005, 12:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Rockin' Rig

Hey gang-

Here's my setup:

-HD100
-Formatt Matte Box
-Focus Enhancements FS-4 Pro 40 gig with the HDV upgrade & field kit

I'm running tape and direct-to-disk with the FS-4. After shooting I link the FS-4 to my Mac G5, copy the file to a big internal HDD, then use HDVxDV to convert it to a DVCPROHD file at 24fps. Then I import into FCP5 and go from there. I then put the tape away as backup.

Rockin'. I highly recommend it.

+Steve
Steven D. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 01:50 PM   #2
Trustee

Very good Steve. Are you having to deal with timecode issues or do you not need timecode to be accurate to the camera's recorded TC?
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 02:09 PM   #3
Wrangler

Steven,

I'm very interested to see what the 720P24 m2t recorded to the FS-4 actually looks like. Is is 59.94 fps or 23.98? Does the TC retain base 60fps properties?

Could you roll a few seconds and post it for us?

I was supposed to receive the FS-4 last week, but it hasn't arrived yet.

THe big question is: Does the FS-4 PRO with HDV upgrade have the talkback capabilities of the JVC OEM version?

Also, does your Formatt matte box use a screw-in 82mm adapter, or clamp-on 85mm ring? I still looking for a suitable light-weight two-stage 4x4 matte box. I already have the Cavision, but it is too heavy for stedicam work.
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 03:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Timecode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
Very good Steve. Are you having to deal with timecode issues or do you not need timecode to be accurate to the camera's recorded TC?
At this point I'm still experimenting, but I'm planning on relying on the FS-4 for clips imported into my computer. I believe there's a way to sync the camera's time code with the FS-4's, yes?
Old November 21st, 2005, 03:41 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
I'm very interested to see what the 720P24 m2t recorded to the FS-4 actually looks like. Is is 59.94 fps or 23.98? Does the TC retain base 60fps properties?
After transcoding the m2t stream into DVCPROHD the output footage is actually 24fps, not 23.98.

Quote:
Could you roll a few seconds and post it for us?
I'll see if I can find something pretty and send it over.

Quote:
THe big question is: Does the FS-4 PRO with HDV upgrade have the talkback capabilities of the JVC OEM version?
Not sure what you mean by talkback. The FS-4 I have will start/stop with the camera's record button. I'm going to check on the timecode sync issue.

Quote:
Also, does your Formatt matte box use a screw-in 82mm adapter, or clamp-on 85mm ring? I still looking for a suitable light-weight two-stage 4x4 matte box. I already have the Cavision, but it is too heavy for stedicam work.
I got the 82mm screw-in adapter. It took about a month to get from B&H (backordered), but they should have a few now. The Formatt is very light, very strong, and best of all, looks kickin'. The French Flag is a bit huge, though.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 05:47 AM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven D. Martin
After transcoding the m2t stream into DVCPROHD the output footage is actually 24fps, not 23.98.
This can be easily fixed by using Cinema Tools to Batch Conform the 24fps clips to 23.98. It takes about 2 seconds to do.

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by talkback. The FS-4 I have will start/stop with the camera's record button. I'm going to check on the timecode sync issue.
With the JVC version (DR-HD100) "you can monitor the DR-HD100 time code and disk space remaining in the viewfinder. You can preview clips in the GY-HD100's viewfinder or LCD monitor using the DR-HD100's playback mode."
http://pro.jvc.com/prof/Attributes/f...l_id=MDL101548
Old November 22nd, 2005, 02:39 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
I'll see if I can find something pretty and send it over.
I'd even be happy with a couple seconds of footage shot with the lens cap on! I just want to analyze how the FS-4 handles the TC in 720P24 mode.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 08:13 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I'm puzzled. I'm using those 24fps clips (not conformed to 23.98) in a 23.98 FCP sequence, and they drop in fine with no rendering. Is it possible that FCP reports the clips as being 24fps when in reality they are 23.98?
Old November 23rd, 2005, 12:14 PM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Is it possible that FCP reports the clips as being 24fps when in reality they are 23.98?
Quicktime makes the distinction between the two, but I would guess that Final Cut pretty much has to treat them the same. In order for Final Cut to preview out to video, it has to treat a 24fps clip like it was 23.976, if it does not want to be dropping a frame every couple minutes.

So in other words, Final Cut probably just has an internal rule to play 24fps clips at 1:1 on a 23.98 timeline, therefore sidestepping all sorts of potential weirdness.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems