View Full Version : Howdy from Big D -- Dallas, Texas

Pages : [1] 2

Jim Gauthier
March 7th, 2004, 02:37 AM
For anyone reading this, you are the reason I am still interested in this field. Having been in and out of working in video the last fourteen years (mostly out), it's been a while since I've found a resource that's piqued my interest. These forums and lists are invaluable as you people keep pushing the envelope of creativity.

Currently I'm residing in Dallas, Texas. I plan to jump back into video again in the next year or two and want to stay abreast of new developments. If I can contribute anything, I'll certainly attempt to offer what objectivity I can.

Frank Granovski
March 7th, 2004, 03:21 AM
Hi, Jim! Welcome! Thank you for the heads up!

Rob Lohman
March 7th, 2004, 02:46 PM
Thank you for your kind words Jim. Welcome aboard! Good to
have you with us.

Gino Terribilini
March 7th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Hey, Jim. Its nice people like you that keep me coming back as well. Good luck with your return from the dark side. Hope to hear more about your future endeavors. Welcome!

-Gino Terribilini

Bobby Abernathy
June 17th, 2004, 12:28 PM
For those that are in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, do y'all know of some decent A/V stores in the metroplex? I don't know any places where I could go try out various tripods or wireless mics or any equipment for that matter, unless it's Wolf, and they are a joke. Thanks.

Doug Thome
June 18th, 2004, 02:55 PM
I visited one vid shop a year ago and put my hands on a DVX. I didn't buy from them and was not impressed with them. I visited one in Houston that was reputable and let me handle the DVX. I ended up buying from EVS because of the good price. I've called a couple of vid shops in Dallas and they didn't even stock the DVX. I've used the internet BB's to determine the good equipment and then buy online. I have the DVX, AT 897, 899, Porta Brace bag and I think I did the right thing.

Joshua Starnes
June 18th, 2004, 04:30 PM
What shop in Houston did you go to?

Kim Denby
June 18th, 2004, 11:43 PM
I am a new member to DV Info, but I think it's been fabulous so far as within a week of joining I bought a VX2000 from another member. I have been shooting video since 1985. Started out traversing the U.S. videotaping horse shows, graduated to weddings and now I shoot all sorts...training videos, promotionals, corporate and yes some weddings still.
I hope to be as much of a source of help to someone else on this board as I am sure some of you will be for me.
Thanks to you all for being here and for your generous spirits.

Kim

Tyson Thomas
June 19th, 2004, 12:30 AM
Hello, I am from Keller, TX (Ft. Worth). It is weird seeing other people from the area on this website. I have a Canon XL1s with an adapter for a 16mm movie lens. I am shooting a documentary. I need help!!!

Kim Denby
June 19th, 2004, 01:13 AM
Hiya,

I sent you an email, so let me know what I can do. My contact info is in the email.

Kim

Rob Lohman
June 19th, 2004, 05:28 AM
Welcome aboard Kim! Good to have you with us. Enjoy your new camera!

Doug Thome
June 21st, 2004, 02:39 PM
Hi Kim,

If you're in Garland, I'm right down the road in the Casa Linda area...small world! I'm a new DVX owner with gear. I plan on shooting interviews and maybe dabble with other projects. It would be nice to network and meet some of the North Texas videographers. We should all meet up at a Starbucks someday.

Doug

Bobby Abernathy
June 21st, 2004, 03:49 PM
Just saying howdy from up here in Aubrey. I work in Denton.

Since my other D/FW post hasn't gotten much response, do any of you locals know a good place to audtion equipment? I don't know of many, if any, decent A/V places in the metroplex. It makes it hard when I want to purchase something as I'm always taking a chance when I buy online as to whether I'll actaully like the equipment or not.

Kim Denby
June 22nd, 2004, 05:42 PM
Hi Bobby,

You know, there used to be a few places....Videotex was one, and not sure they are still out there http://www.videotexsystems.com/
(or here in Dallas), but ECI is still a going concern. ECI is in downtown Dallas, and although I think they are a bit pricey, you can p'rolly check stuff out through them at their showroom http://www.ecivideo.com/
Anton/Bauer has shoulder mounts and batteries etc....
http://www.antonbauer.com/home.htm
MLD Equipment rental obviously "rents" equipment, but you might be able to take a look at what they rent and get an idea of a future purchase http://www.mldvideo.com/
Last but not least, I have gotten a deal or two from CAM Audio located on the borderline of Garland and Dallas off Jupiter Rd.
http://camaudio.com/ They do have a showroom, and especially fun is the "backroom" where they sell used, overstocked or last years models.

I hope this helps.

Also, my absolutely best resource of all for the next video "thing" I really want is my membership in the Dallas Fort Worth Professional Videographers Assoc. www.dfwpva.com We meet the second Tuesday of each month in Grapevine, and a friendlier bunch of video nuts you'll never meet. They'll talk your ear off about what they use and how they use it if you let them.

Kim

Kim Denby
June 22nd, 2004, 05:45 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Doug Thome : Hi Kim,

If you're in Garland, I'm right down the road in the Casa Linda area...small world! I'm a new DVX owner with gear. I plan on shooting interviews and maybe dabble with other projects. It would be nice to network and meet some of the North Texas videographers. We should all meet up at a Starbucks someday.

Doug -->>>

Sounds like a plan......call me any time, number is on my website.

Kim

Bobby Abernathy
June 22nd, 2004, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the info. Kim. It's funny you mention ECI, they just did a really big job for me at work (Denton County). Great bunch of people, the system they installed for me is pretty awesome. I wasn't aware of the other places you mentioned, I'll definitely check them out. Thanks.

Jacques Star
January 16th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Hey guys,

I'm a freelancer based out of Dallas.

If you're in the Texas area, let me know.

Check out my website, and tell me what you think:

www.jacquesstarvideo.com

Greg Boston
January 16th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Hi Jacques,

Maybe you'll remember me from the Majecstic Theater concert shoot we worked together. I was the XL-2 guy on camera #1 at center mezzanine level.

Welcome to DVINFO. It's a great forum with a lot of talented folks.

-gb-

Jacques Star
January 16th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Greg,

How've you been? It's good to see some familiar faces on this site.

I just got back from shooting a documentary on lasers in San Francisco...

Any interesting projects you've been working on? How's the XL2 working out?

(I finally bought a DSR390, and it works great!)

cheers,

Rob Lohman
January 18th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Welcome aboard DVInfo.net Jacques! Good to have you with us!

Long Nguyen
August 7th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Hi everyone. I'm a 16 year old, High School Student who has just entered the world of filming and I'm quite enjoying the hobby and I hope to make it more than just a hobby in the future. I am a 'seasoned' photographer, knowing all the technical aspects and many theories how to deliver a sucessful shot, I hope all this information will help me understand filming. Great to be in this forum. Apreciate all the help.

Jared Thomas
August 7th, 2005, 01:57 PM
whats up Long? I used to live in Dallas...(i think thats the 'big D' your referring to) but now im in Beaumont which is in southeast Texas. Welcome to the forum. Were supposed to be having a texas meet and greet sometime soon, so look out for that. This board is full of great information so if information is what your looking for, then you've come to the right place my man.

Kurirai Adamson
September 8th, 2005, 12:28 PM
My name is Kurirai, currently residing in Desoto. I'm working on a few things. Got my first wedding video assignment...THIS WEEKEND! I've just successfully acquired a Canon XL1s from a fellow forum member, Mr. Joseph Benoit. What a guy!! The best communication ever received for an internet transaction. Even better than Ebay. Thanks for the XL1s Joseph! She goes to work Saturday!

When I'm done editing, I'd like to post it here for review. I love this site and am glad I found it. I wil be referencing it frequently.

Kurirai Adamson

Rob Lohman
September 8th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Welcome aboard Kurirai, good to have you with us! Enjoy your beautiful camera
and good luck with the shooting!

Duane Smith
September 10th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Howdy, Kurirai

There are several DFW-area DVIers around here, but honestly most seem insanely busy and don't post too terribly often. I've only been on DVI less than 6 months myself, and I'm up to my friggin' eyeballs in work! I'm hoping that one day, someone will put together a DFW-area "get together" so that folks can sit around, chew the fat, and talk shop. I'd love to organize something like that myself, but I just don't have the time; between my "real" job and evenings/weekends spent shooting & editing video, I'm probably working in excess of 70 hours a week.

But I certainly would take a break from it all for an informal gathering of DFW area DVIers. Maybe someday we'll be able to meet in some kind of similar circumstance.

:-)

- Duane

Russ Jolly
September 11th, 2005, 05:26 AM
Howdy Duane & Kurirai,

Glad to see other DFW videographers here. My company, PixelPops Design, is located in Richardson, TX.

There are several local video groups here in the DFW area that you may be interested in. One that I highly recommend is the Dallas Ft. Worth Professional Videographers Association (http://www.dfwpva.com) which meets the 1st Tuesday of each month in Grapevine. There are about 75 members, some newer to video production and some who have been fulltime professionals for years. The emphasis is on wedding & event video though many members do corporate work as well. The members are very willing to share ideas and help each other out. Come visit if you have a chance.

Duane Smith
September 11th, 2005, 08:20 AM
Russ - I've actually seen both your website and the DFW-PVA website before. To be honest, the DFW-PVA didn't interest me much since it seemed to be so wedding-intensive, and I don't know anything about weddings (short of my own marraige-LOL!). But I might stop by a meeting someday.

Thanks for the heads-up. :-)

Jeremy Kleindl
October 25th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Howdy!

I'm in Dallas (east, by the lake) and would be very interested in meeting other DV geeks in the area. These are exciting times in DV production, and Dallas is a BIG market with lots of work. I've done a few DV projects, although my background is in web design/development.

The tools you can get on the desktop these days are out of this world! I worked at a post house in Minneapolis in 1996 and remember with fondness the imedia workstation, my first NLE experience.

I hope that xl1s is earning it's keep!

Happy shooting, and stay warm! (time sensitive inside joke)

Duane Smith
October 29th, 2005, 09:00 AM
Happy shooting, and stay warm! (time sensitive inside joke)

Hey now...the weather has actually warmed up the past couple of days. It's getting to be more like Texas again. ;-)

Also, I'm just east of White Rock Lake myself. Actually, I'm SE in the Casa Linda neighborhood. Heck, we should get together at the coffee shop sometime and talk shop.

:-)

Kurirai Adamson
November 12th, 2005, 05:40 PM
Hi folks. Sorry there hasn't been any posting lately.
That first video assignment I told you about has come and gone. I finished it within 16 days after initial shooting. Would you like to see it?

You must promise me one thing...DON'T LAUGH, NOD YOUR HEAD, or SIGH IN GRIEF!

http://www.adamsonmedia.com/DickersonHighlight.wmv

Thanks for at least looking...

Kurirai

Cornelius Allen
January 2nd, 2006, 11:15 AM
Hi Guys,

I've been reading this forum for some time now and decided to join yesterday. There is lots of information I found highly valuable and applicable to my soon-to-be future occupation as head of videography for a North Texas based Christian ministry.

Thanks and chat with you later!

Lorinda Norton
January 3rd, 2006, 12:46 PM
Yep, there's a ton of good info in these pages. You're taking on a big job, so post away if you've got questions or comments.

Glad you finally joined, and welcome!!

Oops! Just saw your post on the HD forum. Looks like you're already rolling... :)

Charles Lacey
January 6th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Hi Cornelius,
I'm from the big "D" area as well. McKinney.

Scott Vystrcil
April 7th, 2006, 01:24 PM
I live in Mckinney, on the West side of 75. Just wondering if any of you are local to me.

Russ Jolly
April 7th, 2006, 04:32 PM
We're just a quick dash down 75 in Richardson... Unless it's rush hour. ;-)

Kris Galuska
April 7th, 2006, 04:41 PM
I'm in the Richardson/ Plano area.
It’s nice to see some Dallas people on this board.

Greg Boston
April 7th, 2006, 06:06 PM
I live in Mckinney, on the West side of 75. Just wondering if any of you are local to me.

Welcome to DV-INFO! I am a few miles down the road in The Colony. JVC rep Carl Hicks is also located in McKinney.

-gb-

Steven Gotz
April 7th, 2006, 09:31 PM
I just left there. I was in North Garland - but moved to Florida.

Duane Smith
April 9th, 2006, 09:53 AM
I live in Dallas proper near White Rock Lake, so I'm probably a good hour from McKinney...but if y'all ever want a to have a "local" get-together, I'm always up for a drive. Heck if you get together in the Plano area, that'd only be a 1/2 hour drive for me.

:)

Scott Vystrcil
April 11th, 2006, 01:39 PM
A get together would be great.

Rand Blair
April 14th, 2006, 08:44 AM
I am from Dallas, now living in Uganda, East Africa. Will be coming through Texas fro June brfore returning to Africa. Hope theres time to meet up with a few folks.

Rand Blair
Big Heart Productions

Jeff Mack
April 14th, 2006, 09:33 AM
Hey guys, I've been on the site for a little while but this is the first time I checked this spot for locals. I also live in McKinney Scott! Small world. Any skilled Vegas users interested in a get together? I am new to the editing world and although I have a lot of training videos, I could always use some one on one.

Jeff Mack

Scott Vystrcil
April 17th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Love to help Jeff, but I am a Edius Pro user. Have not played that much with Vegas.

Pat Miller
April 25th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Located in central Dallas....Walnut Hill and Central Xpressway.
I do mostly commercial work as a freelance video tech, TechnoCrane Technician, DIT, HD Video work and video playback for films and commercials around the state. My XL 2 I and other assorted equipment that I own I use to shoot outdoor videos related to the hunting/fishing industry. (no danger of me shooting weddings or bar/bat mitzvahs.) I also shoot my own personal short docs........if there's a get together let me know......Pat

Duane Smith
April 26th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Located in central Dallas....Walnut Hill and Central Xpressway.
I do mostly commercial work as a freelance video tech, TechnoCrane Technician, DIT, HD Video work and video playback for films and commercials around the state. My XL 2 I and other assorted equipment that I own I use to shoot outdoor videos related to the hunting/fishing industry. (no danger of me shooting weddings or bar/bat mitzvahs.) I also shoot my own personal short docs........if there's a get together let me know......Pat

Pat, you're darn close to me (I'm on the east side of White Rock Lake in the Casa Linda area). I shoot outdoor videos of a sort, but not animals...Jeeps! LOL!

All us Dallas folks really should have a get together...

Russ Jolly
April 26th, 2006, 07:49 PM
There's going to be an all day event at the Richardson Civic Center on Friday May 19th called Texas Production Roundup. Maybe that would be a good opportunity for the Dallas DVi gang to hook up. The event is sponsored by Dallas Producers Association and the DFW branch of MCA-I and will have displays and seminars from major manufacturers (Sony, Panasonic, JVC, Apple, Avid) as well as local/regional production suppliers.

Duane Smith
April 26th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Ugh....I'm going on a shoot in Oklahoma that weekend. I'm scheduled to leave on the 19th around noon, dangit! I just won't be able to squeeze the event in that morning; got too many ducks to line up for the shoot.

Poop. :-(

Mike Schrengohst
April 29th, 2006, 07:33 PM
There's going to be an all day event at the Richardson Civic Center on Friday May 19th called Texas Production Roundup. Maybe that would be a good opportunity for the Dallas DVi gang to hook up. The event is sponsored by Dallas Producers Association and the DFW branch of MCA-I and will have displays and seminars from major manufacturers (Sony, Panasonic, JVC, Apple, Avid) as well as local/regional production suppliers.

Russ, what companies will be there?? I need to join the DPA.
Thanks
Mike Schrengohst
www.MotionZoneHD.com

Greg Boston
April 30th, 2006, 09:34 AM
I am flying back from Kansas City on the 19th. Don't know if I will have time to get over there cause I have a gig that night in Coppell. All depends on what flight I get.

-gb-

Russ Jolly
May 10th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Here's a link with more info on the Texas Production Roundup Friday May 19th in Richardson:

http://www.dallasproducers.org/roundup/

I want to catch the XDCAM HD presentation and I may pop in and out a couple of times for different seminars as my studio is just down the street. Maybe we'll see some of the DFW DVi crowd there. Let me know if you're planning on going.