Howdy from Big D -- Dallas, Texas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood

These Are the People in Your Neighborhood
Introduce yourself! Who you are, what you're doing & using.

Old March 7th, 2004, 02:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Howdy from Big D -- Dallas, Texas

For anyone reading this, you are the reason I am still interested in this field. Having been in and out of working in video the last fourteen years (mostly out), it's been a while since I've found a resource that's piqued my interest. These forums and lists are invaluable as you people keep pushing the envelope of creativity.

Currently I'm residing in Dallas, Texas. I plan to jump back into video again in the next year or two and want to stay abreast of new developments. If I can contribute anything, I'll certainly attempt to offer what objectivity I can.
Jim Gauthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2004, 03:21 AM   #2
Outer Circle

Hi, Jim! Welcome! Thank you for the heads up!
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2004, 02:46 PM   #3
RED Code Chef

Thank you for your kind words Jim. Welcome aboard! Good to
have you with us.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2004, 03:57 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hey, Jim. Its nice people like you that keep me coming back as well. Good luck with your return from the dark side. Hope to hear more about your future endeavors. Welcome!

-Gino Terribilini
Gino Terribilini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2004, 12:28 PM   #5
Regular Crew

people in D/FW area

For those that are in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, do y'all know of some decent A/V stores in the metroplex? I don't know any places where I could go try out various tripods or wireless mics or any equipment for that matter, unless it's Wolf, and they are a joke. Thanks.
Bobby Abernathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2004, 02:55 PM   #6
New Boot

I visited one vid shop a year ago and put my hands on a DVX. I didn't buy from them and was not impressed with them. I visited one in Houston that was reputable and let me handle the DVX. I ended up buying from EVS because of the good price. I've called a couple of vid shops in Dallas and they didn't even stock the DVX. I've used the internet BB's to determine the good equipment and then buy online. I have the DVX, AT 897, 899, Porta Brace bag and I think I did the right thing.
Doug Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2004, 04:30 PM   #7
Major Player

What shop in Houston did you go to?
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2004, 11:43 PM   #8
New Boot

Hello from Dallas Texas

I am a new member to DV Info, but I think it's been fabulous so far as within a week of joining I bought a VX2000 from another member. I have been shooting video since 1985. Started out traversing the U.S. videotaping horse shows, graduated to weddings and now I shoot all sorts...training videos, promotionals, corporate and yes some weddings still.
I hope to be as much of a source of help to someone else on this board as I am sure some of you will be for me.
Thanks to you all for being here and for your generous spirits.

Kim
www.shootingstarsvideo.com
Kim Denby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2004, 12:30 AM   #9
New Boot

Hello, I am from Keller, TX (Ft. Worth). It is weird seeing other people from the area on this website. I have a Canon XL1s with an adapter for a 16mm movie lens. I am shooting a documentary. I need help!!!
Tyson Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2004, 01:13 AM   #10
New Boot

Help for Keller

Hiya,

I sent you an email, so let me know what I can do. My contact info is in the email.

Kim
Old June 19th, 2004, 05:28 AM   #11
RED Code Chef

Welcome aboard Kim! Good to have you with us. Enjoy your new camera!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2004, 02:39 PM   #12
New Boot

Hi Kim,

If you're in Garland, I'm right down the road in the Casa Linda area...small world! I'm a new DVX owner with gear. I plan on shooting interviews and maybe dabble with other projects. It would be nice to network and meet some of the North Texas videographers. We should all meet up at a Starbucks someday.

Doug
Doug Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2004, 03:49 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Just saying howdy from up here in Aubrey. I work in Denton.

Since my other D/FW post hasn't gotten much response, do any of you locals know a good place to audtion equipment? I don't know of many, if any, decent A/V places in the metroplex. It makes it hard when I want to purchase something as I'm always taking a chance when I buy online as to whether I'll actaully like the equipment or not.
Bobby Abernathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2004, 05:42 PM   #14
New Boot

auditioning equipment

Hi Bobby,

You know, there used to be a few places....Videotex was one, and not sure they are still out there http://www.videotexsystems.com/
(or here in Dallas), but ECI is still a going concern. ECI is in downtown Dallas, and although I think they are a bit pricey, you can p'rolly check stuff out through them at their showroom http://www.ecivideo.com/
Anton/Bauer has shoulder mounts and batteries etc....
http://www.antonbauer.com/home.htm
MLD Equipment rental obviously "rents" equipment, but you might be able to take a look at what they rent and get an idea of a future purchase http://www.mldvideo.com/
Last but not least, I have gotten a deal or two from CAM Audio located on the borderline of Garland and Dallas off Jupiter Rd.
http://camaudio.com/ They do have a showroom, and especially fun is the "backroom" where they sell used, overstocked or last years models.

I hope this helps.

Also, my absolutely best resource of all for the next video "thing" I really want is my membership in the Dallas Fort Worth Professional Videographers Assoc. www.dfwpva.com We meet the second Tuesday of each month in Grapevine, and a friendlier bunch of video nuts you'll never meet. They'll talk your ear off about what they use and how they use it if you let them.

Kim
Old June 22nd, 2004, 05:45 PM   #15
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Doug Thome : Hi Kim,

If you're in Garland, I'm right down the road in the Casa Linda area...small world! I'm a new DVX owner with gear. I plan on shooting interviews and maybe dabble with other projects. It would be nice to network and meet some of the North Texas videographers. We should all meet up at a Starbucks someday.

Doug -->>>

Sounds like a plan......call me any time, number is on my website.

Kim
Kim Denby is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The DV Info Network > These Are the People in Your Neighborhood