Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17

Gints Klimanis
September 5th, 2003, 02:57 PM
Someone posted this link earlier:

How Autofocus Cameras Work

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/autofocus.htm

Andres Lucero
September 5th, 2003, 06:23 PM
I bought mine from bhphoto.com (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/?BI=155).

You can also check out the sponsors of the DVInfo website:

http://www.dvinfo.net/sponsors/

Frank Granovski
September 5th, 2003, 07:57 PM
They are cheaper at Leo's, depending on the brand.

Jose Marrero
September 6th, 2003, 11:02 PM
Just curious. I,m still saving for my GL2 but won't make the deadline in order to qualify for rebate( Rebate ends 9/30 ). That rebate was really a great incentive to buy the GL2 ( I was at B & H Tuesday and the guy purchasing a GL2 stated that he knows he's getting best Cam for his money and also the rebate from the Canon helped him decide ). Has anyone heard if Canon will extend 9/30 expiration date on rebate, or will resellers adjust the selling price by minus $250. Just curious....

Frank Granovski
September 6th, 2003, 11:20 PM
Who knows, perhaps a month after the rebate period has ended, there will be a $250 price drop---that is if a GL3 is just around the corner. And if that's the case, every GL2 owner here will be posting in the buy/sell forum, hoping to sell their GL2 in order to buy the GL3. What I'm saying is, don't worry. Just keep saving. :)

Craig Hollenback
September 7th, 2003, 10:24 AM
Are there any preferences for either the Hoodman LCD hood or the Petrol PMH-1 Mini Monitor Hood? Thanks, Craig Hollenback

Ken Tanaka
September 7th, 2003, 11:02 AM
Hello Craig,
I've not used the Hoodman lcd hood, but I do have the Petrol hood.

The good: It's feather light, easy to pack and works reasonably well to cut glare on the screen.

The bad: it does not fit the GL2's screen very well. The problem is that the hood, once assembled, cannot get close enough to the GL2 body to avoid covering a narrow portion of the lcd's right edge. You can sometimes futz with it to get better fit but as soon as you reposition the lcd you're back at square one.

Given this, I'd try the Hoodman first.

Ryan McCrary
September 7th, 2003, 03:12 PM
i want to get something for the camera.. any suggestions under say $200

i'm thinking about teh wd-58h but i may get that anyways, so whats another option.. i'd like a shotgun mic, but they are mostly very pricey..

any lighting stuff i should get?

thanks,
ryan

Graham Bernard
September 7th, 2003, 04:46 PM
"With Winter coming and those long cold wet Winter nights drawing close - why not treat your cute GL-Toosie to a cuddly, warm, snug fitting overcoat - Show that you care! - Yes, make sure your cammie does not get clammy and cold - with flu sniffles - show that you care by getting this new product from Porrta Brace - The People for Pampering your Cammie - You know it makes sense!"

. . . . my copy . . my wit . . .

. . anyways I got my XM2 this overcoat [ thanks Ken! ] apart from getting the cammie clean and a bit more protected, the flipout LCD camera obscura device, is excellent in bright BRIGHT sinshine - worth it just for that . . I see you could pick it up for $144 - heck you've got nearly 60 bucks to left to spend on filters and odd 'n sods

Portabrace RS-GL2

http://www.zgc.com/zgc.nsf/0/cbeec23ce3fc0c0e85256b810002d2d4?OpenDocument

. . . oooh I love spending other people's money .. . . ..

Grazie

Craig Hollenback
September 7th, 2003, 06:52 PM
Thanks Ken...I'll order the Hoodman tomorrow from B/H photo and post a reply as to how it performs when I get it. Also ordering a GL2 with WA adapter and a Beachteck DXA-6 phantom power audio adapter. Xmas comes early. Best, Craig

Ryan McCrary
September 7th, 2003, 11:14 PM
is that just a rain cover? unless its pretty tight fitting and doesn't get in the way/snag on things, i wont be getting it.. anybody know of a picture of one in use?

i've also thought about getting a XLR box, because i want to eventually get a nice(r) shotgun mic, and i would need the box sooner or later..

what about filters.. what are some things i need and how much would they run me?

-ryan

Alan Tran
September 7th, 2003, 11:19 PM
beachtek adaptor runs under 200

John Fitch
September 8th, 2003, 08:19 AM
Hi everyone. I just discovered these message boards the other day and am really impressed by the great amount of participation...keep up the great work everyone!

Anyway, I'm going to be buying a new camera soon, and up until a couple of days ago, I was set on the PDX10. I think it looks like a great camera, and among it's many other features, I really like the B/W viewfinder and thorough XLR block. I just realized a couple of days ago, however, that the GL2 is now available with a $250 rebate, thereby putting it pretty much in the same price category as the PDX10. Now that I've had a chance to read up on the GL2, I've found that it too has desireable features, both picture and audio-wise, so now I'm in somewhat of a stage of indecision. I think both the PDX10 and GL2 have strengths and weaknesses when compared to each other. At this point, I think I'm actually leaning more toward the GL2, even though I realize that I'd be giving up a nice, clear B/W viewfinder, a larger LCD display, and an inculded XLR adaptor with microphone. However, I think I prefer the larger size of the GL2, the carrying handle is a definite plus in my book, and I now know that Canon's MA-300 accessory can provide XLR inputs. Unfortunately, although a few local camera stores carry the GL2, none around here have the PDX10, so I'm not going to be able to do a side-by-side comparison. I played around with the GL2 a while back when I really wasn't in the market for a new camera, but now that it's a camera I'm seriously thinking about buying, I'm going to check it out again in the next couple of days. I realize that the GL2 vs. PDX10 debate has come up previously in these message boards, but I thought I'd bring it up again to see if anyone has any new thoughts or opinions to add. I guess the bottom line is that features and manual controls are important to me, but having the camera that will produce the best overall image is very important too. I realize that comparison of image quality is largely subjective, but any comments about this or any other aspects of the GL2 vs. PDX10 would really be appreciated.

As a side note, one thing that I really appreciate is Canon's thorough website highlighting the GL2. When making a purchase like this, I often like looking through the operating manuals of items I'm considering, and I wasn't able to find the PDX10 manual online anywhere. I ended up just ordering the PDX10 manual from Sony...

Also, just thought I'd mention that I've also posted this message in the PDX10 discussion forum.

Andres Lucero
September 8th, 2003, 10:04 AM
The GL2 is my first DV camcorder so I can't really compare it to anything else, but here are my thoughts anyway:

- Keep in mind that Sony & Panasonic supposedly do low-light situations better (at least, that's what I've read).

- XLR adapters are readily available (I use the XLR-PRO from Sign Video (http://www.signvideo.com/xlr-pro_xlr_adapter-audio-mixer.htm)), so that shouldn't be a problem, although I wish Canon would have built XLR inputs into the camera.

- Features like Frame Mode and 16x9 "anamorphic" mode can come in handy if you're going for that film-look everyone always talks about.

Chris Hurd
September 8th, 2003, 10:22 AM
Just a side note, as Canon Video is a consumer products division, it's highly doubtful that we'll ever see XLR connectors built in to any higher-end 3-chip Canon camcorder. The vast majority of Canon Video customers have no use for XLR... those of us who do need it and use it are a slim minority of their market, so I'd say you can almost count on always having to use an external adapter of some sort. We may not like it... but that's the way it is.

Frank Granovski
September 8th, 2003, 02:25 PM
John,

The GL2 is better in low light plus its very well balanced, making it easy to hold. It also has 20X zoom and frame mode.

The PDX10 is a dog to hold, tilting forward and pulling to the left, but has XLRs, better 16:9 and also DVCAM---which potentially means less drop-outs.

Depending on the features which are more important for you, either cam is a good choice. Personally, I like the GL2 more.

Alan Tran
September 8th, 2003, 08:05 PM
is the wd-58 compatible with century optics products...namely a sunshade?

Noah Posnick
September 9th, 2003, 02:23 PM
Is there a tutorial or something for building a matte box, or even a sunshade for that matter for the gl1?

John Fitch
September 9th, 2003, 09:06 PM
When I finally end up buying a new camera in the near future, I'm really thinking about purchasing a Mack 4-year extended warranty. I'm certainly not the type to buy an extended warranty for every single electronic device I own, but I think having an extended warranty for the new camera might be a good move. Regardless of whether I choose the PDX10 or the GL2, I could pick up a Mack 4 year extended warranty from B&H for $169. So with the warranty issue in the back of my mind, I thought I'd ask for some of your opinions on the subject, and maybe some of you could even share your experiences with Mack extended warranties.

Also, if I end up buying my camera from someplace other than B&H, would I still be able to buy the extended warranty through B&H and apply it to the new camera? I believe I recall reading on the Mack website that this can be easily done, but I'm wondering if anyone has actually been able to do this easily and successfully. And if I were to order the warranty alone, what exactly would I receive...is there some type of warranty certificate with a registration card that must be mailed to Mack?

Thanks to anyone who might be able to comment on this topic!

Jeff Donald
September 10th, 2003, 06:28 AM
Generally the previous responses posted here have been favorable of Mack service. If you search Mack you find many references.

Ryan McCrary
September 10th, 2003, 07:26 AM
bump this up.. i'm curious..

theres some pictures of a few at http://www.homebuiltstabilizers.com

sorry thats not much help.. i'd like to know about this as well..

-ryan

Craig Hollenback
September 10th, 2003, 07:27 AM
I dropped to off MAC a 2 year old JVC DV500 that I had an extended MAC warranty on. The camera was showing head problems in audio playback. They sent it to JVC and new heads were installed, no charge. I paid the shipping back to me from MAC. The entire process took about 5 weeks...that was the downside. However, I plan to purchase a GL2 and will pick up a 4 year MAC plan from B/H as well. One repair will pay for it easily...again, the downside will be the time delay. Craig

Allen Danze
September 10th, 2003, 07:23 PM
Ok so i've been hearing people say that the main problem with switching tape brands is switching after a "steady diet" of one brand. I've gone through about 10 sony premiums, and since I use my gl2 as a deck as well, it probably has around 12-15 hours of use total.

The sony tapes use wet lube, while most other tapes use dry. How conflicting are sony tapes with other brands these days? Has anyone switched between Sony and another brand?

Anyways...

Would it be sufficient if I ran my head cleaning cassette, and then went ahead and switched to fuji DVC tapes?

Would i expect to experience head clogs or dropouts, or is it quite likely i'll be fine as long as i clean the heads first?

Thanks,

-Allen Danze

Jeff Donald
September 10th, 2003, 10:00 PM
No one can predict the future, but with only 10 tapes total used, I would feel safe cleaning the heads and switching brands. If you want to be extra cautious, have the heads cleaned professionally.

You can also search this question, it has been asked many times.

Don Palomaki
September 11th, 2003, 04:42 AM
Sony and most other "consumer" brands use a "wet lub", including the common Panasonic tape.

Some of the profesional tapes use "dry lube" and they often will list that information on their packaging or advertising material. I believe that Panasonic introduced the high-end "dry lube" to ensure interoperability in their DVCPro equipment and to grab some of the DVCAM tape market.

The issue to day is not so much one of incompatible tape lubes as it is of the characteistic wear deposits that will build on tape guides, etc. up over time. A change in tape brand can result on the deposits moving if the new brand tape has somewhat different physical characteristics, e.g., stifness or roughness.

K. Forman
September 11th, 2003, 04:57 AM
I am considering the WD58 for my GL1. Thing is, I have no idea exactly what it would do for the footage, or do to the image. Could someone maybe post a couple frames with the W.A. and a couple without?

Marco Leavitt
September 11th, 2003, 10:45 AM
Keith,
I just sent you three screen grabs of footage taken with this adapter. I don't have comparable shots without it on, but they should still give you an idea of the kind of distortion you would get with this adapter. The footage was also shot on a GL1. I highly recommend the WD58 for the GL1.

John Fitch
September 12th, 2003, 09:20 AM
I'm probably going to purchase a Mack 4 year extended warrany when I order my GL2 sometime in the next week, but I'm wondering if some type of extended warranty would be available directly from (and serviced through) Canon. I haven't been able to find any information on extended warranties on Canon's website, so at the moment it looks like the only time I would have service directly through Canon would be if I needed a repair during the 1 year manufacturer's warranty. Not that I think I wouldn't get good service through Mack, but I'm just curious if an extended warranty directly from Canon would be available.

Thanks!

Neil Slade
September 13th, 2003, 07:48 PM
Edmund Scientific recently added a new base lens which I use in my DIY wide angle adapter design. It gives an even wider view than previous- probably about .5X

this design takes about an hour to make, and will cost you under $40. It offers several advantages over the OEM $200 wide angle adpaters.

Complete free instructions here
http://www.neilslade.com/lens.html

Also, if you like to make your own SUPERIOR equipment, see the recent MIKE BOOM POLE DIY $20 instructions at
http://www.neilslade.com/Papers/pole.html

Thanks and have fun!
Neil

Steve Nunez
September 14th, 2003, 07:46 PM
Did anyone notice the use of film cameras during the shooting of 'Living with Tigers'- then notice the "video" look of certain scenes?....

...in case you missed it- there was a quick scene that showed the filmamkers using GL2's as the "video" camera...kinda shows just how good these GL2's are!

The "video" scenes looked great....thumbs up to GL2's everwhere!

John DeLuca
September 14th, 2003, 10:27 PM
I caught it! Yes he was using film, but the videographer behind him wasnt(guy shooting him, shooting film). His flim cam looked like it was for documentry(16mm, after all he is shooting one) not a 35mm, super 35mm, or 70mm movie film cameras like in real films. I could be wrong, but thats my 2cents. BTW- Did you see Ice Cubes Film camera in "Anaconda". Sweet!

John DeLuca Akron, Ohio

Bo Smith
September 15th, 2003, 12:35 AM
Real films still use 16mm film, all though they are lower budget flims, but 16mm is still a viable format.

I was wondering if they exclusevly used the GL2 for the video shots. I know filming took place over the course of three years, so they couldn't have been using it at the start.

And what was their audio situation? Were they useing the on camera mics or not?

-Bo

Bob Harotunian
September 15th, 2003, 10:52 AM
It was a very quick shot but the videographer was holding a GL2 and there did not appear to be an on-board mic. Thought I was seeing things but you guys confirmed it. It would be nice to know if GL2 scenes were actually shown.

Dale Anthony Smith
September 15th, 2003, 09:33 PM
Filters - DVX Lens Hood "Mattebox"
I am trying to avoid buying either a mattebox or 3 of each filter to fit the standard (72mm), the Century .6WA (95mm), and the tele extender (105mm).
The tech at Century says that there is no fitting to put a filter on the .6WA without vignetting. He said to tape a filter to the front of the lens is the only way so far... and that they were "developing" something for that lens.
One solution could be to hold the square filter in place in front of the lens with flex arm clips. OR... I was looking at the lens hood... It measures 4"X 4.5". There are those four screws on the front to remove the plate... Has anyone thought about or tried to put a 4X4 filter into the lens hood? The open back of the lens hood could be covered with some douvatine or black velvet to keep the light from hitting the back of the filter. Might just work...

Charles King
September 16th, 2003, 08:30 AM
Noah. There's a link or two on the HBS site under tips. Ross Had done a drawing of matte box for his XL1 but it can also be used with the GL1/XM-1 camera.
Here's my matte box: http://homebuiltstabilizers.com/charlesmattebox.html

Bo Smith
September 17th, 2003, 12:49 PM
Is Frame Movie Mode on the GL2 the same as 30P?

And does Deinterlaceing Blending look somewhat like 30P?
(For any one who doesn't know what this is. Take two layers of the same video and deinterlace the upper fields on the top layer, and deinterlace the lower fields on the lower layer, and set the upper layers opacity to 50%)

-Bo

Alex Knappenberger
September 17th, 2003, 12:52 PM
Yeah, I suppose you could call it that. It is 30fps progressive, but I'm not quite sure, and I think I read somewhere before that it's not as good as the "real thing", or something. I'll let someone else comment on that...

Also I never heard of deinterlacing blending. What editing software do you use? If you use Vegas 4 (great software :D) then the best thing is to export at 24P, looks good.

EDIT - NVM about Vegas, I see your on a mac.

Bo Smith
September 17th, 2003, 01:03 PM
I'm useing Final Cut Express.

I don't know if thats exactly what it's called, but it takes away the video look of 60i. I've also been told that it keeps close to full quality.

-Bo

Ken Tanaka
September 17th, 2003, 01:42 PM
Not a "stupid question" at all, Bo.

For most practical considerations, Canon's "frame mode" is prit near 30P (in NTSC). While it is not "true" progressive scan (as found on the DVX100 and other high-end cams, for example) it uses a proprietary algorithm to capture both fields while removing temporal artifacts.

Adam Wilt's site (http://www.adamwilt.com/DV-FAQ-etc.html#filmlook) features some information on this subject as well as anything else that strikes his fancy. A very informative place.

Trig Simon
September 17th, 2003, 05:07 PM
When I take a still shot with the memory card on my GL-2, the card logo blocks the picture that I shot, so I cannot see if I got a good smile or not. Is there any way to get rid of the logo, so I can see if I need to take another shot?

Kirk Tutterrow
September 18th, 2003, 08:05 AM
I'm getting serious and repetitive audio dropout, crackle when I capture video from my GL1 into Premiere 6.5. This occurs only on tapes which were recorded on another camera.
It occurs through both the firewire and when using the A/V jacks, but is not heard when listening to playback on the camera.
The tapes were originally shot on DVCPro and transferred to MiniDV.
I've tried capturing on a Alienware 2.53 GHz P4, Matrox RT.X100 card, and Creative Audigy Platinum eX sound card, running XP Pro and a Sony Vaio laptop running XP Pro. This happens on just about every tape not originally shot on the GL1.

Any ideas?

thanks,
Kirk

John Fitch
September 18th, 2003, 03:58 PM
While looking around at Target today, I noticed that packages of Fellowes brand "Wright Right" screen protectors (a thin polymer film that helps prevent scratches and glare) for Palm Pilots were on sale for a little under $4.00. I decided to buy a pack not to use on a Palm Pilot, but rather as a protective cover for the LCD display on my GL2. I know Fellowes manufactures a similar product for the small LCD displays on digital cameras, and my guess is that the Palm screen protectors and digital camera screen protectors are the same material just cut to different sizes. Nonetheless I thought I'd ask if anyone has cut PDA screen protectors to the proper size and used them on a GL2 or other camera with an LCD display. I'm assuming that if the film is safe to use on a PDA screen, then it could be safely used on an LCD display, but I just thougt I'd ask for your opinions.

Jeff Price
September 19th, 2003, 10:40 AM
I was looking for a case for my GL2, mostly to support it while it sat on the floor of my van, between the seats, but also some to protect it when I travel by air.

I considered a hard case but I really will be using it more in the car than needing to ship it so I thought soft would work better. I looked at the Portabrace (nice, too expensive). I was leaning toward the Kata for a while but haven't been able to find one locally to look it. The Lowe Pro bag was (and may still be) an option.

In searching around for a cheaper alternative I stumbled across a bag that may work well. It is called "Uncle Mike's Deluxe Range Bag" and is designed to haul your gear to a shooting range. It is designed for law enforcement use and is about as rugged as I've seen. It is padded, though not soft padding. The camera fits inside well but it will need some additional foam put in in order to hold in place better. At the moment the camera is sitting on top on my Sennheiser mic box on the bottom of the bag but I think I'll take the mic out of the box and put it in one of the padded side pockets.

The cost? $44 at Galyan's, a local sporting goods store. I'll certainly be giving it a try this weekend to see if it's a keeper.

Joshua Badour
September 20th, 2003, 06:19 PM
Ok.

I was filming an interior scene the other day for my upcoming film and I got a window in the shot. Big mistake. The window was recorded as just a white image where the trees would be (as shown through the window).

I was on a tight timeline, so I just refilmed from a different angle. However, to avoid doing this again, I was wondering if there was any way to fix this. I had it on manual recording, and just recently purchased the cammy. Could I fix this by putting it on "auto"?

Thanks

Jeff Donald
September 20th, 2003, 06:37 PM
The scene exceeded the exposure range of your camera and format. Changing the aperture and/or shutter speed might have lowered the overall exposure, but your shadows would have gone black.

The easiest way to control a window is to cover it with an ND gel material to lower it's exposure value. You could also have added light to the interior to make it brighter and more closely match the brighter exterior. But just adusting the exposure can't bring the scene into the range your camera and format can reproduce. You need to make the brightness values of different elements within the scene closer to each other.

Don Palomaki
September 20th, 2003, 07:16 PM
Now here is a funky apprach. Might even work.

Lock down the camerea - no movement what so ever

Shoot the scene with proper exposure for the interior.

Later (or earlier) shoot for proper exposure of the exterior.

Key or mask the properly exposed exterior into the interior shot in post.

Andrew Fu
September 22nd, 2003, 12:09 AM
There seems to be 2 specs of dust on the inside of my GL2 lens. I've vleaned the lens thoroughly, so I am confident that my eyes are not decieving me. Does anyone know how to go about cleaning the lens or do I have to take it to a shop or get Canon to do it?

Thanks in advance!

Ken Tanaka
September 22nd, 2003, 12:40 AM
See this thread (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14177&highlight=dust).

Jim Hill
September 22nd, 2003, 03:03 AM
There is nothing about the DC terminal in the manual, apart from labelling it in the initial diagram.

Is it input or output? Does it match up with any accessories?

Cosmin Rotaru
September 22nd, 2003, 06:01 AM
I think I remember someone telling is 5V output. I'm not sure. Also I don't know how much power (mA) could you draw from there without burning something.

I'm also interested to find out more about that DC.