View Full Version : Recording Back to P2

Joe Hernandez
January 16th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Hi ,

I don't know if this has been covered before, but does anyone know if you can record back from an FCP sequence to a P2 card using firewire and the DVCPRO HD and DVCPRO50 codecs? I can see this being useful since I edit in a Powerbook and don't have any component outputs. I usually do :30 and :60 second spots so length is not an issue. I would greatly benefit if I could output the finished spots from the camera's component output to Betacam SP without the DV compression form my JVC Deck. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Joe

Barry Green
January 17th, 2006, 01:10 AM
I know that it has firewire input, as I hooked two of them together back at DV Expo. But I would have to test if it can actually record the incoming firewire signal when in P2 mode. I cannot fathom why it wouldn't; I mean, what's the point of allowing input if it doesn't allow recording? So I'm certain it does.

Barry Green
January 17th, 2006, 04:00 AM
Tested, and yes you can do this. You can stream high-def (and presumably DV50) from the computer to the firewire and record that stream onto the P2 card in the camera. Tested on a PC/Avid system; it's inconceivable that the Apple wouldn't work, I'm certain it does.

Joe Hernandez
January 17th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Great news, all I need is the camera. Thanks Barry.