View Full Version : Must have filter's/acc.

Barry van Weldam
January 20th, 2003, 02:12 PM
hi there fellow "XM2/GL2(xm1/gl1)" lovers,

I am somewhat of a NOob when it comes to DVcam's and i was wondering which filter's and accessoires are a must have. As of now i have a very short wishlist:

1. regular glass-filter; so the lens won't get hurt.

2. uv-filter for protection

Accessoires:

1. wide angle lens (probably the WH58)
2. ext. mic (Sennheiser MKE-300)

Any other suggestions?
Thanks in advanced,
Barry

Frank Granovski
February 18th, 2003, 05:48 AM
Just get a UV; don't bother about trying to find a "clear glass" filter. The UV is clear.

You might also want to get a polarizer for sunny days. It blocks glare.

"Any other suggestions?" Yes, one: get a good protective case for your cam and gear.

Graham Bernard
February 18th, 2003, 11:17 AM
How are you going to connect the "2. ext. mic (Sennheiser MKE-300)" ? Lots of feedback on this. I had to learn about this side of things. People here are very very helpful.

Ditto about the "bag". Lots of stuff here on that as well.

Grazie

Giampy Car
February 24th, 2003, 12:38 PM
What about video light?
Has someone experience?
With is the best buy in video light for Xm2/Xm1?
Thanx

Graham Bernard
February 24th, 2003, 01:17 PM
Hiyah!

I got all enthusiastic when I got my XM2 from Tottenham Court Road ol Video Shoppe - I got a a light which takes all night to charge and will only provide 12 minutes of light! - hmmmm.....

Go figure! Don't get burnt with a "must-have", until you reeeeally do a bit more research than I did - yeah?

The other thing is that I'm not sure HOW much "fill-light" you/I would need. I've just attended a "Lighting" seminar at the Wembley Video Forum '03. I really did learn a lot. The XM2 does provide for a lot of manual adjustment for low light levels. It will also adjust to interior lighting. There has been much chat and very good detailed discussion on the pros and cons of various cammys ability to film in "low" light. From what I can gather the XM2 will do a good job with relatively low light - but as one Forum pro mentioned, - If it is low light, and you want to get a more than adequate job done, then you would have to seriously consider adding something other than a fill light - sooo.... do a search on this forum and read on - yeah?

Giampy Car
February 24th, 2003, 01:43 PM
Yes i know there is so very much things to learn about video world.
The question is that i've an Xm1 that probabilily has less attitude than Xm2 in low light performance, so i think i need an external video light. Does a 10 o 20 watts be enought for a resonable sooting condition?
Anyway can you point me to some web site for better understanding?
Thanx

Gilbert Xiong
February 26th, 2003, 11:58 AM
Is there a specific BRAND I should stick with when purchasing filters for my GL2?

Ken Tanaka
February 26th, 2003, 03:38 PM
Tiffen, Heliopan, B+W (Schneider Optics) are all good. Filters offerred under the Canon brand are also very good.

Will Fastie
February 27th, 2003, 05:52 PM
B&H sells Tiffen's 58mm Video Essential DV kit for $50. A padded case and 3 filters -- clear, UV, and a circular polarizer. I think it's a good starter kit.