Must have filter's/acc. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old January 20th, 2003, 02:12 PM   #1
Barry van Weldam

Must have filter's/acc.

hi there fellow "XM2/GL2(xm1/gl1)" lovers,

I am somewhat of a NOob when it comes to DVcam's and i was wondering which filter's and accessoires are a must have. As of now i have a very short wishlist:

1. regular glass-filter; so the lens won't get hurt.

2. uv-filter for protection

Accessoires:

1. wide angle lens (probably the WH58)
2. ext. mic (Sennheiser MKE-300)

Any other suggestions?
Thanks in advanced,
Barry
Old February 18th, 2003, 05:48 AM   #2
Outer Circle

Just get a UV; don't bother about trying to find a "clear glass" filter. The UV is clear.

You might also want to get a polarizer for sunny days. It blocks glare.

"Any other suggestions?" Yes, one: get a good protective case for your cam and gear.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2003, 11:17 AM   #3
Old Boot

How are you going to connect the "2. ext. mic (Sennheiser MKE-300)" ? Lots of feedback on this. I had to learn about this side of things. People here are very very helpful.

Ditto about the "bag". Lots of stuff here on that as well.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2003, 12:38 PM   #4
New Boot

What about video light?
Has someone experience?
With is the best buy in video light for Xm2/Xm1?
Thanx
Old February 24th, 2003, 01:17 PM   #5
Old Boot

Vid Lights - Don't Get Burnt!

Hiyah!

I got all enthusiastic when I got my XM2 from Tottenham Court Road ol Video Shoppe - I got a a light which takes all night to charge and will only provide 12 minutes of light! - hmmmm.....

Go figure! Don't get burnt with a "must-have", until you reeeeally do a bit more research than I did - yeah?

The other thing is that I'm not sure HOW much "fill-light" you/I would need. I've just attended a "Lighting" seminar at the Wembley Video Forum '03. I really did learn a lot. The XM2 does provide for a lot of manual adjustment for low light levels. It will also adjust to interior lighting. There has been much chat and very good detailed discussion on the pros and cons of various cammys ability to film in "low" light. From what I can gather the XM2 will do a good job with relatively low light - but as one Forum pro mentioned, - If it is low light, and you want to get a more than adequate job done, then you would have to seriously consider adding something other than a fill light - sooo.... do a search on this forum and read on - yeah?
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2003, 01:43 PM   #6
New Boot

Yes i know there is so very much things to learn about video world.
The question is that i've an Xm1 that probabilily has less attitude than Xm2 in low light performance, so i think i need an external video light. Does a 10 o 20 watts be enought for a resonable sooting condition?
Anyway can you point me to some web site for better understanding?
Thanx
Old February 26th, 2003, 11:58 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Is there a specific BRAND I should stick with when purchasing filters for my GL2?
Gilbert Xiong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2003, 03:38 PM   #8
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Tiffen, Heliopan, B+W (Schneider Optics) are all good. Filters offerred under the Canon brand are also very good.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2003, 05:52 PM   #9
Major Player

B&H sells Tiffen's 58mm Video Essential DV kit for $50. A padded case and 3 filters -- clear, UV, and a circular polarizer. I think it's a good starter kit.
Will Fastie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders