View Full Version : DVXuser battery

Ruben Contreras
March 17th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Anyone out there have the DVXuser battery? Does it have all the magic that they claim?

Chris Hurd
March 18th, 2006, 12:43 AM
Have you tried asking at DVX User? www.dvxuser.com

Ruben Contreras
March 18th, 2006, 12:24 PM
I thought there'd be a bias. I come asking here hoping for a neutral opinion.

Brendan Bhagan
March 19th, 2006, 06:37 AM
I'll be ordering one in a few weeks, currently I have the original panasonic battery and an impact 3600mha replacement, will let you know.

Daniel J. Wojcik
March 19th, 2006, 06:47 AM
I thought there'd be a bias. I come asking here hoping for a neutral opinion.

Well, Jarred would probably not pop in and pimp his batteries. You'd get answers from people who bought them, though...pros and cons.

Actually, if you do a search, you'll probably find a few dozen threads in DVXUser talking about them already whoihc might save some time (and the inevitable "use the search" posts. :) )

Nathan Chaszeyka
March 19th, 2006, 10:44 PM
I have two of them and use them 4-5 days a week. They work great and have lasted for several months so far.

Hope that helps.

John DuMontelle
March 27th, 2006, 06:12 PM
I'm a fan of the DVXuser battery. It lives up to the sell.

Joe Kras
March 28th, 2006, 12:31 AM
I've got a couple (of the older models) that I've had for almost 2 years. They work just fine.

Reid Bailey
March 28th, 2006, 11:41 AM
I've got one and it works just fine.

Brian Henderson
May 2nd, 2006, 11:56 PM
Thanks. I had the same question and was also concerned about possible bias on that site. However, if John vouches for them, that's good enough for me!

How does the DVXuser battery compare the the Panasonic CGR-D54 (the big one) besides price? The Panasonic is $150, the DVXuser one is $80.

Jarred Land
May 6th, 2006, 06:29 PM
well i might as well come do some piming :)

ha ha ha.

anyways.. our batteries are very similar to the 5400's.. you probally wont know the difference. Same as the lenamars, very similar. Just beware of the really cheap ones, they are usually factory defects that have a huge voltage swing that isn't so good for sensitive electronics. Ours are cheaper then the panasonic ones not because they are cheaper to make, its just I get them right from the manufacture instead of going from the manufacturer to Panasonic then to a distributor then to the dealer.

There are a few places pimping 6000mah cells.. right now that mah rating is impossible, and the manufactures just re-label the 5400 cells as 6000mahs... i know cause they asked me if I wanted to re-label mine as 6000 as a few of thier customers were requesting it.

To understand how the numbers work, its just like CPU manufacturing. They get in a box of 3.6v cells (for us they use those in pairs to get to 7.2v), they test them, and they test between say 5000mah and 5800mah. The majority of cells is the number they pick (like if 80% test at 5600, they mark them all at 5600). The better manufactures take the samples they tested at 5000-5200mah and put those in the lower class.

Regardless.. its all a number game, just get whatever battery works for you. Ours are midnight blue and have (i think) cooler labels, but besides that they all work about the same.

Rodger Marjama
May 6th, 2006, 09:08 PM
I've had 2 so far. Bought one when I bought my DVX about 2 years ago or so. First few charges, it didn't come up to full charge for some reason. Told Jarred about it, and he said to use it for awhile and see what happens. It started full charging shortly there after so I gave it no more thought. I guess it must have been almost a year later and it pooped out. Sent Jarred an email, he sent me a new battery. This ones been fine.

Seems about as good as you need it to be. As a manufacturer myself, I know what it takes to keep things going and customers happy. I'd say Jarred is doing it well.

-Rodger

Monte Comeau
May 7th, 2006, 02:03 PM
well i might as well come do some piming :)

Just beware of the really cheap ones, they are usually factory defects that have a huge voltage swing that isn't so good for sensitive electronics.

I have to respond to this comment. I have three $25 4800Mah batteries (Panasonic CGR-D54 clone) and have had no problems at all with them. In fact...they last just as long as the Panasonic CGR-D54 I have.
On a voltage meter they are consistent and identical to the Panasonic.

I am not knocking your product, and agree that if you get one with inconsistent voltage I would not use it...but in my personal opinion OEM's are really ripping off consumers. If DVXuser can offer the same battery for 50% of the price (and make a profit) then why can't another reseller offer the battery at an even further reduction?

I say shop around and test the product. They are selling similar batteries to the Panasonic CGR-D54 for $25 and there is no difference in quality.

Jonathan Shannon
May 7th, 2006, 07:24 PM
I appreciate your comment Monte. When I questioned the statement that cheaper batteries have voltage swings, I was emailed off-list by someone telling me that this is not true. So there are two different opinions on this. You've provided evidence that, at least with your "cheap" batteries, there is no voltage swing.

I bought two large capacity (5400?, 5800?) batteries from Overstock.com for $50 each. I did a lot of searching, and these identical batteries (CTA brand) cost 2 - 3 times as much elsewhere. They cannot be shipped to a P.O. Box, but Overstock only uses the United States Postal Service, so you must get US mail to a physical address (or a friend who does). I've had these batteries for about a month, so it may be a little early to tell how good they are...but I'm happy with them so far.

Jon

Monte Comeau
May 7th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Well I cannot speak for everyone but I have not had any problems with inexpensive batteries, I refrain from calling them 'cheap' because the quality has been on par with the expensive brands.

I have purchased 6 batteries now for two cameras at Battery Street and have had 100% success with them. The Sony FA70's I picked up there for $20 and Sony sells them for $140!! I paid less for these 6 batteries than the OEM's would have charged me for 1. Something is wrong with this picture.

I looked at their eBay feedback rating and it is well above 99% for over 6000 sales. Most of the problems were regarding out of stock issues, not product quality, I am sure that Panasonic, Sony etc. get at least that percentage of problems with battery sales.

I don't think the argument (fear mongering?) that inexpensive batteries are lower in quality, damage cameras, explode etc. hold much validity or there would be a huge backlash from the 6000+ customers.

Jarred Land
May 7th, 2006, 09:15 PM
im not knocking any of the other batteries... im sure they work great for most people. alot of people dont have problems buying remanufactured electronics either.. it works and if its cheap then thats all that matters to some. Some people put regular unleaded in their sports cars as well.. and some people use $2 DV tapes in their cameras. its an individual choice.

Sure i make my $10 a battery profit and i could of just bought the "cheaper" cells instead and tried to get rich, but to me spending a little more for something better quality is worth it..specially on a $4000 camera. If it was for my $300 camcorder im sure i would go with the $25 batteries as well.

Monte Comeau
May 7th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Jarred,

I would agree with you you 100% if it were true.

What I am saying is that many of these less expensive batteries are not of less quality. You seem to have fallen into the myth that the OEM's have pushed on all of us.

Didn't mean to offend, just my opinions and experience. Probably enough said on this subject on my part.

Cheers!

Jarred Land
May 7th, 2006, 09:44 PM
monte.. there is a difference trust me, I know its skeptical to trust me since im selling the things, but I have direct contact with the manufactures and there is a difference in cell chemistry, tooling, daughterboard construction etc, using gold contacts instead of nickel etc... This is not the case of a OEM just buying the same cells and charging more for the same product as a no name.

but like i said, whatever works for you is the best solution... if your happy with the cheaper batteries its all that matters, its really just a matter of personal choice. I agree, we could probally discuss this all night and day but its not really worth it.. the bottom line is people have a choice and thats always a good thing.

Jonathan Shannon
May 18th, 2006, 11:09 AM
there is a difference trust me, I know its skeptical to trust me since im selling the things

Jarred: You're right. If I personally knew you maybe I wouldn't be skeptical regarding your claims about the superiority of the batteries that you sell...but I don't know you so....

Can you substantiate your claim? Can you direct us to an unbiased review of the oem batteries compared with the less expensive alternatives that shows the less expensive ones to be inferior?

Best,

Jon

Kevin James
June 5th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Batteries are fine, but be aware that delivery time can vary depending on Mr Lands other commitments. If you need them on a deadline I would recommend looking elsewhere.

Daniel Runyon
June 6th, 2006, 01:43 AM
Batteries are fine, but be aware that delivery time can vary depending on Mr Lands other commitments. If you need them on a deadline I would recommend looking elsewhere.

I just shoot Jarred a PM before I order and ask if it's a good time. He'll tell you if he's held up or ready to rock. And just so nobody gets the wrong idea, his order site plainly says that he's not a full time battery salesman and that delays could occur depending on what's going on at the time. Also worthy of note is that for the longest time he sold them to us at HIS COST just to help the community! Pretty cool if you ask me. I've got 5 of em and wouldnt want to be at a wedding without em!