View Full Version : DVD Playback problems

Monte Comeau
June 6th, 2006, 11:49 AM
I just shot a school concert and it turned out pretty good. All edited in Premiere pro 2, DVD authored in Encore 2 output to Taiyo Yuden 16X rated discs burned at 8X.

Problem I am having is about 25% of the people say the DVD's skip in their players :(

I tested 50% of them in three different players and they all played without a problem. The DVD's that skip on these other players work fine on my players and most others.

Any idea what could be causing this?

Dan Euritt
June 6th, 2006, 03:01 PM
did you use a sony burner, or a burner with a sony laser in it? something like liteon, etc.

Christopher Lefchik
June 6th, 2006, 03:37 PM
What is the bit rate of the video and the audio streams? And did you apply stick on labels?

Monte Comeau
June 6th, 2006, 03:46 PM
did you use a sony burner, or a burner with a sony laser in it? something like liteon, etc.

Yes. A Sony Burner was used....is this a problem?

Monte Comeau
June 6th, 2006, 04:01 PM
What is the bit rate of the video and the audio streams? And did you apply stick on labels?

I used Taiyo Yuden ink jet printable with a very small amount of text and a small image.

Info from Encore for DVD Build was the following:

DV High Quality 4MB VBR 2 pass

Audio was 192kbps 48Mhz

Should I be using 7MB+ CBR for better compatibility? The quality from above settings is perfect.

Doug Boze
June 6th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Your data rate looks okay (though I think you meant 48KHz), but might try burning the discs at a slower rate. The higher the burn speed, the more likely the discs will play in only a few decks. Higher-speed-rated discs have a different reflectivity, too. Also, were these DVD-R or DVD+R's?

Monte Comeau
June 7th, 2006, 02:22 AM
They were -R

Dan Euritt
June 7th, 2006, 08:54 PM
i have two sony dvd-r burners that both had bad lasers... one of 'em started failing gradually, with the same symptoms you mentioned... it was a nightmare to troubleshoot.

if your dvd is on an external hdd, you might try taking the hdd to another computer to burn, something that doesn't have a sony burner... it would eliminate some possible issues.

btw, i guess that your audio format is ac3? that is definitely the way to go for best compatibility.

Nathaniel McInnes
June 12th, 2006, 02:02 PM
i had a sony burner in my laptop and it failed after 6 months. i found out that my dvds would work on some dvd players but on others. it used but no any more. i then did a smart restore and then wouldn't even read a disks