DVD Playback problems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring

Old June 6th, 2006, 11:49 AM   #1
Regular Crew

DVD Playback problems

I just shot a school concert and it turned out pretty good. All edited in Premiere pro 2, DVD authored in Encore 2 output to Taiyo Yuden 16X rated discs burned at 8X.

Problem I am having is about 25% of the people say the DVD's skip in their players :(

I tested 50% of them in three different players and they all played without a problem. The DVD's that skip on these other players work fine on my players and most others.

Any idea what could be causing this?
Monte Comeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 03:01 PM   #2
Trustee

did you use a sony burner, or a burner with a sony laser in it? something like liteon, etc.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 03:37 PM   #3
Trustee

What is the bit rate of the video and the audio streams? And did you apply stick on labels?
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2006, 03:46 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Euritt
did you use a sony burner, or a burner with a sony laser in it? something like liteon, etc.
Yes. A Sony Burner was used....is this a problem?
Old June 6th, 2006, 04:01 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Lefchik
What is the bit rate of the video and the audio streams? And did you apply stick on labels?
I used Taiyo Yuden ink jet printable with a very small amount of text and a small image.

Info from Encore for DVD Build was the following:

DV High Quality 4MB VBR 2 pass

Audio was 192kbps 48Mhz

Should I be using 7MB+ CBR for better compatibility? The quality from above settings is perfect.
Old June 6th, 2006, 04:57 PM   #6
Major Player

Your data rate looks okay (though I think you meant 48KHz), but might try burning the discs at a slower rate. The higher the burn speed, the more likely the discs will play in only a few decks. Higher-speed-rated discs have a different reflectivity, too. Also, were these DVD-R or DVD+R's?
Old June 7th, 2006, 02:22 AM   #7
Regular Crew

They were -R
Old June 7th, 2006, 08:54 PM   #8
Trustee

i have two sony dvd-r burners that both had bad lasers... one of 'em started failing gradually, with the same symptoms you mentioned... it was a nightmare to troubleshoot.

if your dvd is on an external hdd, you might try taking the hdd to another computer to burn, something that doesn't have a sony burner... it would eliminate some possible issues.

btw, i guess that your audio format is ac3? that is definitely the way to go for best compatibility.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2006, 02:02 PM   #9
Regular Crew

i had a sony burner in my laptop and it failed after 6 months. i found out that my dvds would work on some dvd players but on others. it used but no any more. i then did a smart restore and then wouldn't even read a disks
Nathaniel McInnes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring