View Full Version : mp3 to aiff?

Michelle Lewis
June 29th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Does anyone know how to convert mp3 to aiff music file? I'm using FCP5. I attempted to convert it a few ways, but wasn't successful. Please help.

Meryem Ersoz
June 29th, 2006, 04:05 PM
use itunes. drop your aiff into itunes. go to preferences. click on advanced. click on importing. make sure "import using" is set to mp3 encoder. go to your advanced main in the main menu (not in preferences...), pull down and your "convert" menu will read "convert to mp3" so go ahead and convert it, the import/export to wherever you plan to use it....

Michelle Lewis
June 29th, 2006, 04:17 PM
use itunes. drop your aiff into itunes. go to preferences. click on advanced. click on importing. make sure "import using" is set to mp3 encoder. go to your advanced main in the main menu (not in preferences...), pull down and your "convert" menu will read "convert to mp3" so go ahead and convert it, the import/export to wherever you plan to use it....

Thanks but I want to convert FROM mp3 to aiff

Meryem Ersoz
June 29th, 2006, 04:30 PM
do the exact same thing. except instead of setting "import using" to mp3 encoder, set it to the aiff encoder, and it will switch the main advanced menu to "convert selection to aiff." sorry i misunderstood....

Michelle Lewis
June 29th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Got a message - can't be converted because protected files cannot be connected to other formats.

Meryem Ersoz
June 29th, 2006, 05:08 PM
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=68457&highlight=aiff+conversion

here's a link that will give you several workarounds for dealing with this...

Scott Routt
June 29th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Oooh I know this one! With itunes you need to first burn the encoded/protected mp3 files in the play list to a CD. That is what will turn those buggers into AIFs. You then Dump the AIFs from your CD onto your hard drive for use in FCP.

The catch is you can only burn a play list so many times, so make try to group your mp3 files in playlists. It beats making a CD for each single file.

Michelle Lewis
June 29th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Thank you guys so much. After all that, it was so simple.

Meryem Ersoz
June 30th, 2006, 08:08 AM
simple, yet such a pain in the #$%% to figure out...it would be much easier if Apple, knowing we need this functionality in FCP, would make this a feature...instead of forcing these lame and time-consuming workarounds...

*rant mode off*

Peter Jefferson
June 30th, 2006, 08:19 AM
glad i dont use a Mac...
if its this much hassle to manage an mp3 file, imagine trying to manage 160gb of MP3's... my head spins just thinkin about it

Meryem Ersoz
June 30th, 2006, 08:32 AM
the point is, it isn't a hassle when you know how to do it...it's easy...the point is, the information about how to go about it, which should be made obvious, isn't....

but i guess that's kinda the point of dvinfo, to provide the needed workarounds and super-secret stealth workflows, for all of this touchy equipment we use....

Michelle Lewis
June 30th, 2006, 08:54 AM
simple, yet such a pain in the #$%% to figure out...it would be much easier if Apple, knowing we need this functionality in FCP, would make this a feature...instead of forcing these lame and time-consuming workarounds...

*rant mode off*

Yeah, I get what you're saying.

This is the first time I encountered this problem. I didn't want to go out and buy an entire album of the requested song. FCP is great otherwise.

Michelle Lewis
June 30th, 2006, 08:56 AM
glad i dont use a Mac...
if its this much hassle to manage an mp3 file, imagine trying to manage 160gb of MP3's... my head spins just thinkin about it

It's really not about MAC, it's about FCP.

I love my MAC, Peter! I'd never ever go back to a PC.

Michelle Lewis
June 30th, 2006, 09:01 AM
the point is, it isn't a hassle when you know how to do it...it's easy...the point is, the information about how to go about it, which should be made obvious, isn't....

but i guess that's kinda the point of dvinfo, to provide the needed workarounds and super-secret stealth workflows, for all of this touchy equipment we use....

It seemed all the instructions pointed to purchasing Quicktime Pro to convert the files. Slick on Apple's part! I know I should have gotten Q-pro a while ago, but I refuse to purchase to convert an mp3 file.

Glen Elliott
June 30th, 2006, 12:45 PM
It's really not about MAC, it's about FCP.

I love my MAC, Peter! I'd never ever go back to a PC.

It's not about the Mac OR FCP, but audio DRM. Try dropping your iTunes music into Vegas, PPro, Avid, or Canopus. It won't work there either.

Jonathan Jones
June 30th, 2006, 03:06 PM
I second Glenn's response. It's not fair to blame the Mac, Apple, iTunes, FCP or any of the many options available in the PC arena either. It is all because the of the ridiculous circus that DRM has become.

The DRM is imposed by the recording industry to prevent you from doing exactly what you are trying to do with the protected file....well, really it is to prevent 'sharing' but synching and mastering into alternate media can be construed as a form of that.

The answer to this dilemma, as posted above, is really quite simple for those 'in the know', but it is not all that easy to come by in some places because of the potential liability percieved in sharing such information where the RIAA bloodhounds can track it.

Personally, I don't use any DRM media for client work as I don't see this as fair liability to myself, my clients, or contracted artists...but I do frequently make little home movies, or photo slideshows of my daughter that I like to play for my family...and I sometimes find and use DRM music for this purpose, but just to eliminate the hassle, I routinely just find a short block of time to go over the recently added DRM files and batch burn and re-import them to avoid any 'gotchas' on a per-project basis....just being prepared makes editing smoother in the long run.
-Jon

Peter Jefferson
June 30th, 2006, 09:31 PM
actually, u CAN import aiff files into Sf and Vegas the only issue with doing that is that the system in use must have the license for said soundtrack. os tof the time, when clients provide music via email with DRM imposed, i either ask them for their password or an alternative means if theyre wierd about their password.. ANYWAYS...
Being that the track itself must be llicesend through itunes, as the file is opened, DRM is triggered through itunes and voia, license visible, waveform tweakable.

My comment on Mac is not a platform issue or bias, its a comment on the fact that Mac users dont really have much of a choice when it comes to NLE's let alone mp3 or file management like Media Manager. There also the issue of convergance from one format to another, being that in a windows system, i can downlaod the free "rightclickmp3" program and run full batch mp3 conversion without so much as a twitch

"The DRM is imposed by the recording industry to prevent you from doing exactly what you are trying to do with the protected file....well, really it is to prevent 'sharing' but synching and mastering into alternate media can be construed as a form of that."
I hear you, however as some countries allow for licensing of said material which can be used in the ways as described, then DRm protection means jack and these circumventions can and should be disabled in these situations. This is where reverse engineering comes to play and alternative means (be they legal or not) are used. As some countries allow for the use of said licensed material, so the use of this is obviously not illegal, however in countries such as the US, then it would be illegal.

IMO the need to burn music to Cd then to re-rip back to PC is a waste of time... id rahter just browse the torrents and download what i need

Jonathan Jones
June 30th, 2006, 10:16 PM
As some countries allow for the use of said licensed material, so the use of this is obviously not illegal, however in countries such as the US, then it would be illegal.

This is one fo the reasons I refer to the whole DRM thing as a total circus. I often wish the industry in the US could look at what the Austrailian market does for licensing...it seems much more practical.
-Jon

Meryem Ersoz
July 1st, 2006, 09:03 AM
personally, i use the "render out of imovie's timeline straight into an aiff file" method, not the CD-burning method. then import to FCP. as workarounds go, this is one of the easiest! there's no waste, and it doesn't take much time, just a minute or two, so this idea that mac users are spending countless wasted hours on audio conversions is simply off-base. mac actually gives you the tools to do this for free, it's the instruction manual which is absent (and the source of my rantings)...but really, i rarely even do this, primarily for home movie use. for commercial video or for publicly published web video, i simply use my legally-purchased music library. there's so much cheapie (or free) music out there, it's mostly a waste of energy to violate copyright laws....

i agree that licensing in the US is waaaay behind the digital revolution, and reforms are in order and are far too long in coming...

p.s. Jon--what exactly *does* the australian licensing market do that is better? (i'm highly convinced that most anything is better than the current US licensing arrangement, glacial, dinosaur, inefficient)... curious....

Peter Jefferson
July 1st, 2006, 11:39 AM
" so this idea that mac users are spending countless wasted hours on audio conversions is simply off-base."
Not off base, its just different and not as streamlined. Its not a mac thing... Your workaround described would work quite well, so please dont think that im "attacking" macs, im not.. hell i could go on about Premiere with its audio conforming... hell i can ramble on about any NLE but in this case, with DRM its a different story altogether.
These "workarounds" shouldnt need to exist IMO

as for australias system of licensing, we pay a yearly fee to use said licensed music in any mechanical means we see fit, whether it be sourced from our own database of ownership or whether a client "loans' us the music for "their" presentations. So long as its for private use, theres no issue with using the music

Glen Elliott
July 2nd, 2006, 08:46 AM
You can change the preferences to burn either an "MP3 CD" or "Data CD" that could eleviate the need to burn a bonified CD then re-"rip" it. You might be able to burn an "MP3 CD" and simply drag and drop the files right from the CD.

A.J. Briones
July 4th, 2006, 07:25 PM
i simply open the mp3 in quicktime pro and export to aiff. no big deal.

best of luck.

-=aj

Greg Boston
July 4th, 2006, 10:05 PM
You can use all your DRM music in Imovie with no problem. Only FCP stops you. I guess they figure you aren't going to be doing much more than home stuff with Imovie so it's ok. But FCP is normally used in high end productions and therefore they decided to block out DRM stuff.

-gb=