mp3 to aiff? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 29th, 2006, 03:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

mp3 to aiff?

Does anyone know how to convert mp3 to aiff music file? I'm using FCP5. I attempted to convert it a few ways, but wasn't successful. Please help.
Michelle Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 04:05 PM   #2
Wrangler

use itunes. drop your aiff into itunes. go to preferences. click on advanced. click on importing. make sure "import using" is set to mp3 encoder. go to your advanced main in the main menu (not in preferences...), pull down and your "convert" menu will read "convert to mp3" so go ahead and convert it, the import/export to wherever you plan to use it....
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 04:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz
use itunes. drop your aiff into itunes. go to preferences. click on advanced. click on importing. make sure "import using" is set to mp3 encoder. go to your advanced main in the main menu (not in preferences...), pull down and your "convert" menu will read "convert to mp3" so go ahead and convert it, the import/export to wherever you plan to use it....

Thanks but I want to convert FROM mp3 to aiff
Old June 29th, 2006, 04:30 PM   #4
Wrangler

do the exact same thing. except instead of setting "import using" to mp3 encoder, set it to the aiff encoder, and it will switch the main advanced menu to "convert selection to aiff." sorry i misunderstood....
Old June 29th, 2006, 04:57 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Got a message - can't be converted because protected files cannot be connected to other formats.
Old June 29th, 2006, 05:08 PM   #6
Wrangler

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...iff+conversion

here's a link that will give you several workarounds for dealing with this...
Old June 29th, 2006, 05:29 PM   #7
Major Player

Oooh I know this one! With itunes you need to first burn the encoded/protected mp3 files in the play list to a CD. That is what will turn those buggers into AIFs. You then Dump the AIFs from your CD onto your hard drive for use in FCP.

The catch is you can only burn a play list so many times, so make try to group your mp3 files in playlists. It beats making a CD for each single file.
Scott Routt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 07:06 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thank you guys so much. After all that, it was so simple.
Old June 30th, 2006, 08:08 AM   #9
Wrangler

simple, yet such a pain in the #$%% to figure out...it would be much easier if Apple, knowing we need this functionality in FCP, would make this a feature...instead of forcing these lame and time-consuming workarounds...

*rant mode off*
Old June 30th, 2006, 08:19 AM   #10
Inner Circle

glad i dont use a Mac...
if its this much hassle to manage an mp3 file, imagine trying to manage 160gb of MP3's... my head spins just thinkin about it
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 08:32 AM   #11
Wrangler

the point is, it isn't a hassle when you know how to do it...it's easy...the point is, the information about how to go about it, which should be made obvious, isn't....

but i guess that's kinda the point of dvinfo, to provide the needed workarounds and super-secret stealth workflows, for all of this touchy equipment we use....
Old June 30th, 2006, 08:54 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
simple, yet such a pain in the #$%% to figure out...it would be much easier if Apple, knowing we need this functionality in FCP, would make this a feature...instead of forcing these lame and time-consuming workarounds...

*rant mode off*
Yeah, I get what you're saying.

This is the first time I encountered this problem. I didn't want to go out and buy an entire album of the requested song. FCP is great otherwise.
Old June 30th, 2006, 08:56 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
glad i dont use a Mac...
if its this much hassle to manage an mp3 file, imagine trying to manage 160gb of MP3's... my head spins just thinkin about it
It's really not about MAC, it's about FCP.

I love my MAC, Peter! I'd never ever go back to a PC.
Old June 30th, 2006, 09:01 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
the point is, it isn't a hassle when you know how to do it...it's easy...the point is, the information about how to go about it, which should be made obvious, isn't....

but i guess that's kinda the point of dvinfo, to provide the needed workarounds and super-secret stealth workflows, for all of this touchy equipment we use....

It seemed all the instructions pointed to purchasing Quicktime Pro to convert the files. Slick on Apple's part! I know I should have gotten Q-pro a while ago, but I refuse to purchase to convert an mp3 file.
Old June 30th, 2006, 12:45 PM   #15
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Lewis
It's really not about MAC, it's about FCP.

I love my MAC, Peter! I'd never ever go back to a PC.
It's not about the Mac OR FCP, but audio DRM. Try dropping your iTunes music into Vegas, PPro, Avid, or Canopus. It won't work there either.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques