View Full Version : Another "Credits Montage"

Glen Elliott
July 4th, 2006, 10:18 AM
http://www.gmelliottvideo.com/JamesTrinidadCredits.mpg

Mike F Smith
July 4th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Nice work Glenn. I think you should bring up the watermark to glowing gold or something at the very end when it sits over black.

Mike

Enrique Galvis
July 4th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Hey Glenn, as usual you outdo yourself everytime.
Question is, knowing your video style of softer sophisticated tones, do you match the rest of the video with the credits style, or do you maintain the same style for everything.
In my case I keep the same motif throughout even if it means ad-libbing the ceremony in which case I have obtained permission from the B/G.

Peter Jefferson
July 4th, 2006, 06:05 PM
dead link bro

Michael Stewart
July 5th, 2006, 06:08 AM
Hi Glen, can you repost?

Mike

Dante Waters
July 5th, 2006, 08:32 PM
yeah repost nothing at all here...

Glen Elliott
July 5th, 2006, 10:08 PM
My appologies- my bandwidth got dangerously close to the monthly limit so I had to pull it. I'll see if I can get it back up for a short period of time.

Sorry for the short run.

Vincent Croce
July 10th, 2006, 05:24 AM
I'd be glad to post it on my site's space, Glen...
Vin

Glen Elliott
July 10th, 2006, 12:58 PM
FYI- it's back up.

Jeff Hendricks
July 10th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Dude...awesome

Vincent Croce
July 10th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Hey Glenn, as usual you outdo yourself everytime.
Question is, knowing your video style of softer sophisticated tones, do you match the rest of the video with the credits style, or do you maintain the same style for everything.
In my case I keep the same motif throughout even if it means ad-libbing the ceremony in which case I have obtained permission from the B/G.

Hey Enrique-Clarify what you mean by ad-libbing the ceremony...Thanks.

Vincent Croce
July 10th, 2006, 02:44 PM
FYI- it's back up.

Thanks for reposting--it was quite good, as usual. I dug it even though the music would normally be something I avoid. In the footage you shifted to the full color from, did you just bleed out the reds? If not, how did you get that effect?
Vin

Enrique Galvis
July 10th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Hey Vincent,
that was an outdoor Hindu wedding I did recently which during the ceremony there was a lot of percussion being played by a live band. Drums only. Now, what happened was that the couple asked me if I could sort of dramatize and liven up the whole video rather than use a soft style. What I came up with after some discussion and a few short samples was something similar to Glen's credits but is applied to the whole video so during the slow portions of the ceremony which they wanted complete, it was ad-libed with crowd shots where guest were stretching their necs to see what was going on, kids were playing oblivious to the proceedings, birds flying aroung, bees in the flowers in other words more cut aways than usual and scene switching in time with the background music and adding a few coloring soft effect here and there.
The reception was done in the same style wile adding some other softer elements of effects as those found in Sin City but without going completely to B/W with only one color being predominant but rather all colors have been softened and the brightness and contrast raised.
Since the groom is from NYC and the girl from NJ, I did their love story completely different by using the song "Jersey girl" with them fooling around in a playground.
The couple loved it.
As I said, the ad-libbing came in by switching from ceremony to irrelevant scenes and I was completely challenged on how to make the whole thing work without making it repetitive and boring or out of place.
Since it is a long ceremony and I did not do highlights when I slow down a bit I'll post a clip on my web site for show and tell as long as you remember I don't dare compete with Glen. He still has me beat in creativity by a couple of steps.

Dan Minor
July 11th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Regardless of what you think of the music (I like it) this is a very modern/catchy piece. Well done Glenn! Just when I think I have your style cornered in my mind you do something unexpected like this. Very cool and inspiring.

Vincent Croce
July 11th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Regardless of what you think of the music (I like it) this is a very modern/catchy piece. Well done Glenn! Just when I think I have your style cornered in my mind you do something unexpected like this. Very cool and inspiring.

It was actually a compliment to Glen that I enjoyed it in spite of the tune...I know it's 'modern/catchy', just not my taste in music. I'm more of a jazz/standards lover. Of course when creating a piece for someone, I know we have to use the music the b&g want, which, to me, is one of the more challenging aspects of this business.

Glen Elliott
July 11th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Thanks for reposting--it was quite good, as usual. I dug it even though the music would normally be something I avoid. In the footage you shifted to the full color from, did you just bleed out the reds? If not, how did you get that effect?
Vin

The two looks were slightly modified Magic Bullet: Editors (Vegas 6) looks. The cool blue one was titled "Berlin" and the warm one was called "Warm & Fuzzy". I enjoy using the effects from Magic Bullet from time to time but don't quite like the fact that it multiplies the required render time by aprox. 8x.

The new Magic Bullet Editors is supposed to have better performance and actually use your video card hardware to help speed up the render process. I haven't tested it out to see if the claims are true.

Glen Elliott
July 11th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Thanks all for the kind words. It was one of my most difficult "credits montages" to shoot. Partly because of the time crunch, and the other the sheer size of the bridal party.

Usually I take a minute or so with EACH bridal party member to do individual shots but due to what I described above I opted for a more generic line walk reminicent of the Reservior Dogs shot. It's an easy way to roll a few seconds on each bridal party member and get the entire shoot done in one take in the matter of a couple of minutes (litterally). The unfortunate part was I rushed so fast I only had as little as 3-4 usable seconds of certain people.

I tried my best to make it "exciting" and fun despite the shortcoming on my part capturing it. The clients really enjoyed the finished product despite the fact I felt it was a bit more rythmically predictable and repetitive than some of my other "credits" pieces.

Thanks again for watching.

Brandon Wood
July 12th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Hey Glen,

Just wondering what camera your using for this. I tried to spot it in your last post (the one where you were actually in the footage with the glidecam), but your cameo in that one was just a little too fast.

Oh, and about this post...
Do I have to say it? As always - SUPER job with the highest regards!

Tom Tomkowiak
July 12th, 2006, 06:17 AM
... Of course when creating a piece for someone, I know we have to use the music the b&g want, which, to me, is one of the more challenging aspects of this business.

Totally agree with that.

Whenever the couple specifies some (what I consider) inappropriate song or songs included in the life story or wedding video, I always include "Musical Selections by [bride & groom]" in the rolling credits to disassociate myself from that part of it. Nothing more grating on the nerves than trying to sync video to an annoying tune.

Janice DeMille
July 3rd, 2007, 06:01 AM
Glenn, can you repost this? I would love to see your credits montage.

thanks