View Full Version : GL2 Service Manual

Will Ryan
July 24th, 2006, 11:44 AM
I don't know if I'm allowed to talk about it on here, but I'm very interested in getting one for a GL2. I couldn't seem to find a downloadable one, and I was wondering about how much they go for, and where I can get them. I think only Canon has them? In Jersey and Cali I believe? But it seems like people somehow get them.

Chris Hurd
July 24th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Pretty much impossible to get, and even then, what could you do with one if you had it. I've seen one for the old XL1, it's fascinating stuff, but no real practical value unless you're properly equipped for the video repair business. When they say "no user serviceable parts inside," they say it for a reason.

Don Palomaki
July 24th, 2006, 05:23 PM
With Chris' warnings in mind, if you really want to spring for the manuals, the cost was on the order of $55 for the GL1 or XL1 manual, give or take, and it could be ordered from Canon parts. However, last I knew (about 5 years ago) you had to sign a warranty waiver (if you do any work on the camcorder and mess up - too bad, no warranty) You also had to get a Canon manager who acted as gate keeper to approve yor request.

And unless you are a qualified camcorder/video technician or an EE who is into video gear at the hardware level, and have the appropriate test equipment, it will be just about about useless to you, except maybe allow you to get into trouble messing with the gear internals.