View Full Version : Upgrading the battery pack on Letus flip?

Jeremy Hughes
July 30th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Does anyone know if you can safely upgrade the battery pack on the flip? I'm wondering about moving from 2 AA to a 4AA pack and adding a LED so I can remember when I have the friggin thing turned on or not. I know moving up to a 4 pack would essentially move the voltage rating up to 6v from 3 so I'm wondering if anyone knows if thats really bad for the GG or should I stick with 2?
Quyen, any advice?

Quyen Le
July 31st, 2006, 01:53 AM
You should not change from 2 to 4 batteries. My testings show that lower voltage will give you better image quality, thanks.

Quyen

Nick Outram
July 31st, 2006, 03:30 AM
Does anyone know if you can safely upgrade the battery pack on the flip? I'm wondering about moving from 2 AA to a 4AA pack and adding a LED so I can remember when I have the friggin thing turned on or not. I know moving up to a 4 pack would essentially move the voltage rating up to 6v from 3 so I'm wondering if anyone knows if thats really bad for the GG or should I stick with 2?
Quyen, any advice?

Have a look at this thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=70276

-After my recent trip to Paris with the unit I also thought adding an LED would be a good idea as on a number of occasions I realized only afterwards that I had been shooting without switching the GG vibrator on.

I am working on the switching arrangement to make the recharge possible (off-recharge / on+LED).

Regards, Nick.

Bob Hart
July 31st, 2006, 08:50 AM
Regarding rechargeable batteries, it might be worthwhile checking to see if 0.6v less voltage on fresh batteries compared to non-rechargables is also going to adversely affect the performance. This assumes that the rechargables are going to be Nicad batteries.

Treat my comment with appropriate scorn if another rechargable battery type is being considered which doesn't produce a lower voltage per cell than a non-rechargable.

Jeremy Hughes
July 31st, 2006, 11:02 AM
Thanks Quyen. Do you know if I'll see a significant dropoff though with the LED? Have you tested with an LED inline on the curcuit? I guess I can run a voltmeter and see what the dropoff is.

Also, Bob, how long are your Nicad batteries lasting when shooting?

Thanks guys!
Jeremy

Jeremy Hughes
July 31st, 2006, 11:11 AM
Also, never thought of moving to a 2D setup where I could put the battery pack in my pocket. Same voltage with a lot longer life. Either way, I'm adding clips so the packs can be interchangeable. Also could hook up a 3V transformer plug as well.

Bob Hart
July 31st, 2006, 09:05 PM
Jeremy.

I'm not using nicads on my setup which is not Letus. However I have been caught out with the lower voltage in the past in another application, hence the mention.

Nick Outram
August 4th, 2006, 02:56 AM
Regarding rechargeable batteries, it might be worthwhile checking to see if 0.6v less voltage on fresh batteries compared to non-rechargables is also going to adversely affect the performance. This assumes that the rechargables are going to be Nicad batteries.

Treat my comment with appropriate scorn if another rechargable battery type is being considered which doesn't produce a lower voltage per cell than a non-rechargable.

Bob,

I was planning on using a couple of 1250mAh high capacity Lithium AAAs internally... They would just about fit on top and bottom of white plastic lens holder withough any obscurring.

Nick.