View Full Version : How shaky will this be?

Kevin Wild
August 3rd, 2006, 10:01 AM
I think Canon does a GREAT job with their stabalization, but I keep wondering how shaky this little guy will be. That's a BIG picture it's putting out from such a small and very lightweight camera.

It sounds great, though, and I'm sure I'll get one for family movies. After just getting back from the beach with the H1...I can't wait to get this one. :-)

Kevin

Chris Hurd
August 3rd, 2006, 10:08 AM
With such a little cam I think you have to practice becoming the human tripod. That, and add a wide-angle adapter and shoot as wide (and therefore as close) as possible whenever you can.

Kevin Wild
August 3rd, 2006, 10:13 AM
Yes, I wouldn't even think about zooming in!

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but I'm just hearing a lot about using this as a 2nd camera. It may be okay in certain cases where you don't mind a little shake, but you'd better have it on sticks for the most part. I guess we'll see how good the OIS is with it...

KW

Philip Williams
August 3rd, 2006, 10:56 AM
My first cam was the original Elura, also a smaller upright unit with OIS. Honestly, I never had a problem getting nice stable video, even at the tele end. Canon definitely knows how to make stabilization systems.

I think there's some user preference issues though, as some people just don't seem to be able to adjust to using an upright camcorder. I loved the design and thought my Elura was one of the easiest to use cams I've worked with. But I've read from other users that bought an upright unit and sold it right away because they literally hated it.

If someone hasn't used an upright before, might be worth seeing one in person before plunking down 1300 big ones.

www.philipwilliams.com

Ron Evans
August 3rd, 2006, 11:08 AM
I have a Sony PC10 that I love and look at this new HDV cam as both a second cam to my FX1 and also to replace the PC10. I have had no problems holding the PC10 for DV. I agree that the style is one that one either likes or dislikes.

Ron Evans

Craig Peer
August 3rd, 2006, 11:30 AM
I owned the original Elura and now the Optoma 100 MC. I prefer the upright style for what I shoot - technical rock and ice climbing. And having shot from horseback on trails in the High Sierra all I can say is Canon's optical stabilization works as good as one can expect - pretty darn good. I'm really excited about this new cam - it's what I've been waiting for.

Kevin Wild
August 3rd, 2006, 12:18 PM
I'm sure it will be great. You have to remember, though, that 16x9 feels much differently hand-held than 4x3.

KW

Jos Svendsen
August 4th, 2006, 02:54 AM
If one can judge from owning a Sony HC1 that also is a small camera, then any kind of movment has to be done very very slowly due to the higher resolution of HDV. Did I say slowly - sorry i mean sloooooooooovly.

I have more or less permanetly attached at Bogen(ManFrotto) monopod to the camera in order to give it so much mass that movements gets somewhat fluid.

And I have a Canon WD58 wideangle mounted on the camera to get coverage, and minimize the impact of jitter.

It might be that the e-stabilization of the HC1 is inferior to Canons optical technology, but the format is very unforgiving compared to DV.

In fact my old 16 mm habits are comming to good use. Meaning that I am itching for a Manfrotto 526 head with some serious legs. But that is more expensive than the camerea by far. Sniffle.

Evan Donn
August 4th, 2006, 12:49 PM
I also had the original Elura and now have an HC1... personally I find myself wishing the HC1 had a pistol grip or something. The traditional handicam layout is great if you do a lot of shooting using the viewfinder, but for any other position I find it awkward. The upright design of the Elura was much more comfortable in any position. Either one will be bad as far as shaking goes, as the pivot point is right at the center of the camera whihc magnifies every small twitch of your hand. Adding something like the spiderbrace mini-rig to either should make a huge difference as far as stability is concerned.

Chris Hurd
August 4th, 2006, 12:51 PM
You can easily add a third-party pistol grip type handle to this kind of camcorder.

Mikko Lopponen
August 4th, 2006, 06:17 PM
If one can judge from owning a Sony HC1 that also is a small camera, then any kind of movment has to be done very very slowly due to the higher resolution of HDV. Did I say slowly - sorry i mean sloooooooooovly.

That's because the HC1 has a rolling shutter. That will make shaking look very strange to the eye. I wonder does the HV10 have one too?

Michael Steeves
August 11th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Hello,
I have not seen any photos that show, or text that mentions that you could use a tripod with this camera. I hope you can.
Thanks
Michael

Craig Peer
August 11th, 2006, 02:02 PM
I have yet to see a camcorder from Canon that wasn't threaded for a tripod mount - I'd be really surprised if they stopped including that feature with this model!!

I'll let you know when mine shows up - I ordered one from B & H.

Lou Bruno
August 11th, 2006, 05:10 PM
I purchased a 40 dollar L-bracket with a foam pistol grip. My entire body is a tripod with my HC-1.

I also had the original Elura and now have an HC1... personally I find myself wishing the HC1 had a pistol grip or something. The traditional handicam layout is great if you do a lot of shooting using the viewfinder, but for any other position I find it awkward. The upright design of the Elura was much more comfortable in any position. Either one will be bad as far as shaking goes, as the pivot point is right at the center of the camera whihc magnifies every small twitch of your hand. Adding something like the spiderbrace mini-rig to either should make a huge difference as far as stability is concerned.

Luc Meisel
October 24th, 2006, 01:28 PM
I try to walk with the Hv-10 and shoot and its very shakey!

does anyone here get good stable footage while walking? and shooting?

I though stabilizer might cover this.

Meryem Ersoz
October 25th, 2006, 12:59 PM
this thing is the sh** for the HV10...tripod, monopod, and flowpod all in one. it's stable enough to use as a tripod (in a no- or light- wind situation...) with this weight of this camera. the ball lever system in the legs means super-smooth pans and tilts. at 1.5 lbs., you can easily carry it off the ground and it will add the weight necessary to smooth out your shaky footage. it's ultra-portable for travel.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=434422&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

i bought one of these by chance at a tiny little camera store two blocks from my house. i stopped in to pick up some extra tape for a trip and bought this on an impulse. i used it all last week, and it is an outstanding fit for the HV10. you can add a lot of smooth movement to your footage, a lot of stability, and it doesn't take much practice.

get it. you won't regret it.