How shaky will this be? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old August 3rd, 2006, 10:01 AM   #1
Major Player

How shaky will this be?

I think Canon does a GREAT job with their stabalization, but I keep wondering how shaky this little guy will be. That's a BIG picture it's putting out from such a small and very lightweight camera.

It sounds great, though, and I'm sure I'll get one for family movies. After just getting back from the beach with the H1...I can't wait to get this one. :-)

Kevin
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 10:08 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

With such a little cam I think you have to practice becoming the human tripod. That, and add a wide-angle adapter and shoot as wide (and therefore as close) as possible whenever you can.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 10:13 AM   #3
Major Player

Yes, I wouldn't even think about zooming in!

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but I'm just hearing a lot about using this as a 2nd camera. It may be okay in certain cases where you don't mind a little shake, but you'd better have it on sticks for the most part. I guess we'll see how good the OIS is with it...

KW
Old August 3rd, 2006, 10:56 AM   #4
Major Player

My first cam was the original Elura, also a smaller upright unit with OIS. Honestly, I never had a problem getting nice stable video, even at the tele end. Canon definitely knows how to make stabilization systems.

I think there's some user preference issues though, as some people just don't seem to be able to adjust to using an upright camcorder. I loved the design and thought my Elura was one of the easiest to use cams I've worked with. But I've read from other users that bought an upright unit and sold it right away because they literally hated it.

If someone hasn't used an upright before, might be worth seeing one in person before plunking down 1300 big ones.

www.philipwilliams.com
Philip Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 11:08 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I have a Sony PC10 that I love and look at this new HDV cam as both a second cam to my FX1 and also to replace the PC10. I have had no problems holding the PC10 for DV. I agree that the style is one that one either likes or dislikes.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 11:30 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I owned the original Elura and now the Optoma 100 MC. I prefer the upright style for what I shoot - technical rock and ice climbing. And having shot from horseback on trails in the High Sierra all I can say is Canon's optical stabilization works as good as one can expect - pretty darn good. I'm really excited about this new cam - it's what I've been waiting for.
Craig Peer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 12:18 PM   #7
Major Player

I'm sure it will be great. You have to remember, though, that 16x9 feels much differently hand-held than 4x3.

KW
Old August 4th, 2006, 02:54 AM   #8
Major Player

If one can judge from owning a Sony HC1 that also is a small camera, then any kind of movment has to be done very very slowly due to the higher resolution of HDV. Did I say slowly - sorry i mean sloooooooooovly.

I have more or less permanetly attached at Bogen(ManFrotto) monopod to the camera in order to give it so much mass that movements gets somewhat fluid.

And I have a Canon WD58 wideangle mounted on the camera to get coverage, and minimize the impact of jitter.

It might be that the e-stabilization of the HC1 is inferior to Canons optical technology, but the format is very unforgiving compared to DV.

In fact my old 16 mm habits are comming to good use. Meaning that I am itching for a Manfrotto 526 head with some serious legs. But that is more expensive than the camerea by far. Sniffle.

JOS. Svendsen
Jos Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 12:49 PM   #9
Major Player

I also had the original Elura and now have an HC1... personally I find myself wishing the HC1 had a pistol grip or something. The traditional handicam layout is great if you do a lot of shooting using the viewfinder, but for any other position I find it awkward. The upright design of the Elura was much more comfortable in any position. Either one will be bad as far as shaking goes, as the pivot point is right at the center of the camera whihc magnifies every small twitch of your hand. Adding something like the spiderbrace mini-rig to either should make a huge difference as far as stability is concerned.
Evan Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 12:51 PM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

You can easily add a third-party pistol grip type handle to this kind of camcorder.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 06:17 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jos Svendsen
If one can judge from owning a Sony HC1 that also is a small camera, then any kind of movment has to be done very very slowly due to the higher resolution of HDV. Did I say slowly - sorry i mean sloooooooooovly.
That's because the HC1 has a rolling shutter. That will make shaking look very strange to the eye. I wonder does the HV10 have one too?
Mikko Lopponen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 12:23 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Can you actually use a tripod with this camera?

Hello,
I have not seen any photos that show, or text that mentions that you could use a tripod with this camera. I hope you can.
Thanks
Michael
Michael Steeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 02:02 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I have yet to see a camcorder from Canon that wasn't threaded for a tripod mount - I'd be really surprised if they stopped including that feature with this model!!

I'll let you know when mine shows up - I ordered one from B & H.
Craig Peer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 05:10 PM   #14
Go Cycle

I purchased a 40 dollar L-bracket with a foam pistol grip. My entire body is a tripod with my HC-1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Donn
I also had the original Elura and now have an HC1... personally I find myself wishing the HC1 had a pistol grip or something. The traditional handicam layout is great if you do a lot of shooting using the viewfinder, but for any other position I find it awkward. The upright design of the Elura was much more comfortable in any position. Either one will be bad as far as shaking goes, as the pivot point is right at the center of the camera whihc magnifies every small twitch of your hand. Adding something like the spiderbrace mini-rig to either should make a huge difference as far as stability is concerned.
Old October 24th, 2006, 01:28 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I try to walk with the Hv-10 and shoot and its very shakey!

does anyone here get good stable footage while walking? and shooting?

I though stabilizer might cover this.
Luc Meisel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders