View Full Version : Gl2 Vl 10watt on camera light

R.J. Paradee
March 5th, 2003, 06:23 PM
Does anyone have any opinions on the 10 watt video light that Canon sells for their accessory shoe? Is it worth $90.00 and what has anyone found it good for? Considering getting one for interviewing.

Thanks,

R.J. Paradee

Ken Tanaka
March 5th, 2003, 06:32 PM
The VL10 is ok for short-range shots. It's very compact (packs easily) and uses the same 7.2v BP series batteries that your camera uses. It can be used off-camera (handheld) since it is completely self-contained. It can occasionally be handy to have.

Its primary limitations are it's puny 10w of power and the fact that no softening/diffusing mechanism is offered. Using your own softening methods reduces the light so much that it becomes useless.

If you're serious about needing on-camera lighting (I personally -hate- that look) you should probably look into other much more effective (and yes, much more expensive) lighting systems.

R.J. Paradee
March 5th, 2003, 06:38 PM
Hey Ken, thanks for your quick reply. That's what i thought. How about the frezzi mini fills with the soft box? Another on cam light?

thanks,
r.j.paradee

Ken Tanaka
March 5th, 2003, 06:41 PM
The Frezzi generally gets a thumbs-up around here. I don't have one but if you do a Search you'll find quite a bit of in-depth stuff on it.

R.J. Paradee
March 5th, 2003, 06:50 PM
Thanks Ken, after reading quite a few of your threads, I know your not an on camera light sort of guy. Appreciate your insight and direction. I'm just looking for less gear to have to lug to for an interview. Thanks again,

r.j. paradee

Peter Moore
March 6th, 2003, 09:44 AM
Just to pretty much echo what Ken said but add a small bit - I use the VL-10 sometimes and I like it. It's good for supplimental light I think, when there's ALMOST enough light in the room but not quite.

I also like to use it in place of a flash on my still 35mm camera, actually, in the same situation, when there's a decent amount of light but I'd just like a little more.

Also you should be able to get it cheaper than $90.

R.J. Paradee
March 6th, 2003, 11:24 AM
Thanks Peter. Both you guys have helped me out a lot, I think
I'll look to another light solution.

r.j. paradee