Gl2 Vl 10watt on camera light at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old March 5th, 2003, 06:23 PM   #1
Registration incomplete-contact admin.

Gl2 Vl 10watt on camera light

Does anyone have any opinions on the 10 watt video light that Canon sells for their accessory shoe? Is it worth $90.00 and what has anyone found it good for? Considering getting one for interviewing.

Thanks,

R.J. Paradee
R.J. Paradee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2003, 06:32 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

The VL10 is ok for short-range shots. It's very compact (packs easily) and uses the same 7.2v BP series batteries that your camera uses. It can be used off-camera (handheld) since it is completely self-contained. It can occasionally be handy to have.

Its primary limitations are it's puny 10w of power and the fact that no softening/diffusing mechanism is offered. Using your own softening methods reduces the light so much that it becomes useless.

If you're serious about needing on-camera lighting (I personally -hate- that look) you should probably look into other much more effective (and yes, much more expensive) lighting systems.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2003, 06:38 PM   #3

Canon 10 watt light

Hey Ken, thanks for your quick reply. That's what i thought. How about the frezzi mini fills with the soft box? Another on cam light?

thanks,
r.j.paradee
Old March 5th, 2003, 06:41 PM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

The Frezzi generally gets a thumbs-up around here. I don't have one but if you do a Search you'll find quite a bit of in-depth stuff on it.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2003, 06:50 PM   #5

Thanks Ken, after reading quite a few of your threads, I know your not an on camera light sort of guy. Appreciate your insight and direction. I'm just looking for less gear to have to lug to for an interview. Thanks again,

r.j. paradee
Old March 6th, 2003, 09:44 AM   #6
Trustee

Just to pretty much echo what Ken said but add a small bit - I use the VL-10 sometimes and I like it. It's good for supplimental light I think, when there's ALMOST enough light in the room but not quite.

I also like to use it in place of a flash on my still 35mm camera, actually, in the same situation, when there's a decent amount of light but I'd just like a little more.

Also you should be able to get it cheaper than $90.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 11:24 AM   #7

Thanks Peter. Both you guys have helped me out a lot, I think
I'll look to another light solution.

r.j. paradee
R.J. Paradee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders