View Full Version : Has Anyone Made a Monopod with Wheels???

Richard Zlamany
September 7th, 2006, 11:08 PM
Hi, I've working on making my monopod have wheels. I connected one wheel to the bottom and this was a bust. I realize I need at least 3 wheels for the bottom for this to work well. I would like to use this monopod with wheels for weddings and receptions.

My question is does anyone use a monopod with wheels and is this even a good idea? Does anyone have any advice on what sort of wheel to put on.

Richard Alvarez
September 8th, 2006, 07:03 AM
Well, once you put three wheels on... you effectively have a tripod on casters. Or a dolly tripod if you will. Plenty of those available.

Richard Zlamany
September 8th, 2006, 09:12 AM
The real difference is size. A Tripod on casters is big sometimes not even fitting through doorways. Many priests do not like a tripod near the alter because of its size. A monopod is a less of an eye-soar. I also imagine it would be great for the 1st dance and parent dances as I wheel I around the dancers.

My idea is different by the fact that the wheels will be close together close to the monopod base. A monopod is thin. The wheels are 5 inches and smooth rolling. They came from a shoppping kart.

I should have my new design completed soon and I will post pics.

Lisa Shofner
September 8th, 2006, 09:31 AM
I was planning to do the exact same thing. I agree with you, it would be great - especially for shooting dances. I think with good wheels and lots of practice, the movement could be extremely smooth.

Kevin Shaw
September 8th, 2006, 11:01 AM
I'd be skeptical this would be a good idea compared to simply practicing making smooth movements while carrying a monopod, or having a quick-release plate so you can detach the camera when you need to do moving shots. Adding wheels would make the monopod heavier and less mobile, and having to keep the wheels on the ground would limit your camera movements compared to hand-held shots. Let us know if you get this idea to work satisfactorily.

Speaking of monopods, have you seen the new Manfrotto one with a fluid swivel base? Sounds promising...

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/cache/offonce/pid/4421?livid=103%7C113&idx=116

Damian Clarke
September 8th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Hey, I've never used a monopod but I would imagine it's not a bad idea if it suits the purpose. Funny enough I had an idea a while ago about a tripod head that also tilts left and right, so you have 3 planes of movement in total. Tilt up and down, pan left and right and tilt side to side. The only way to achieve it at the moment is to physically lean your whole tripod to the left or right..not nice.
Or am I wrong, is there a tripod head out there that can do it? I'm no engineer, but I'm sure it's possible.
Good luck with the monopod by the way ;)

Harold Schreiber
September 8th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Hi Richard,

Being a Roller Skater, I've attached a Roller (the 4 wheeled kind) Skate Truck (2 wheels on an axle) to my MonoPod. Did not find it very usefull.

I found it better to use my MonoPod attached to a belt mount I made. Less stuff to trip over, inaddition to being able to change vertical position easier and quicker.

Unless you put the wheels on some type of easy swivel device, it can be a problem.

Harold

Richard Zlamany
September 8th, 2006, 08:11 PM
What is in the works is 3 shopping kart wheels that swivel to a plate that screws on to the bogen 3231 monopod.

I use a bogen 501 head on top of this monopod.

There's a 4 pound weight on the bottom because I like my monpods not too light. If the wheels make up for this weight, I'll take the weight off.

I find weight adds to the stability when walking with the monopod.

The monopod should be completed and tested after next weekend.

Richard Zlamany
September 10th, 2006, 11:55 AM
The prototype is up and running. The test will be next weekend, since I don't have a dance floor or a church aisle in my apartment. What I notice right now with this design is that there is some drag on the carpet while the wheels have no drag on the kitchen floor. It weighs 5.5 pounds.

Right now I am wondering if a 4th wheel would be better for balance.

All comments and ideas are welcomed.

Harold Schreiber
September 10th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Hi Richard,

Looks good. You'll always get some drag on most carpets. You might also consider making a second base with the wheels about twice the distance apart you've got this set. Might give you a bit more stability.

Harold

Noah Hayes
September 10th, 2006, 02:40 PM
I hope I'm not the only one thinking this, but WHY? It looks like you've put a lot of work into it, but (to me at least) it looks like an excessive amount of effort to make a monopod a little smoother on the dance floor, assuming you don't try to adjust the height. Why don't you just get a glidecam or steadicam stabilizer, it would make the video smoother, plus give you the added bonus of smoother motion vertically as well as having that "flying" look! Just my two cents...

Richard Zlamany
September 10th, 2006, 03:40 PM
A wider base may be the key to better balance. A 4th wheel and moving the pole to the center might help too.

It's not a lot of work and it is fun, so don't ask why. It's like asking why do the birds sing?

There are a few shots where this invention will work well, and maybe even a few surprise shots, too.

My 1st shot, that the boss likes, is the walk down the aisle with the cam pointed at the guests in the pews.

The 2nd is the 1st dance and parent dances.

But who knows there may be times where I am wheeling around in front of the alter following the Bride and Groom as they light the unity candle.

This invention might not be for every wedding and hall, but there will be a few where it will work well. It is a tool like my modified shoulder support (which I absolutely love) to offer me options.

Also, I can connect to the monopod, tripod, & shoulder support in less than 30 seconds. Try that with glidecam.

Why would I adjust the height. I have 501 head on it with a 3d head below that.

After the wedding next weekend I will post footage and my conclusion.

Richard Zlamany
September 16th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Well I couldn't make it work to my liking. It was either too easy or too hard to move. Also, the balance was bad.

I tried it at the church and had a hard time wrestling it to stay balanced. At the reception it was better, but still the same problems. On the dance floor it felt like it was rolling away from me. On the carpet it was hard to push and keep balanced.

However, I have not given up on this idea.

Tom Tomkowiak
October 17th, 2006, 07:01 AM
... Many priests do not like a tripod near the altar because of its size...

I agree that a tripod in the front of any house of worship is really noticeable unless you can hide most of it behind a flower arrangement or something. I use a 2nd camera, unamanned, on a tripod, and I do think it sticks out. I never considered a monopod on wheels, but I have been working on a camera-on-a-stick, so to speak.

Anyway, a single vertical pipe with a camera (unmanned) mounted on it wouldn't be invisible, but I think it would blend into the background better. Initially I considered a fixed length pipe, but experience says it has to be adjustable.

Currently under consideration is an aluminum pole of the type normally used with a basket at the end for scooping debris out of swimming pools. The metal is light but sturdy, and there's a twist grip for adjusting the length.

I looked at the Manfrotto monopod Kevin mentioned, but that has a max height of only 5'. I want the flexibility to get the camera up to at least 8'.

Oh, I didn't mention that I already use a motorized remote controlled head with camera #2, so for anyone wondering, no, I won't also need to haul around a stepladder to aim the camera.

I have a couple of engineering details to work out, but I'll be back with a photo or two when this goes operational.

Richard Zlamany
October 17th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Interesting. I can't wait to see the design.

I have some free time coming up and I will update the pics for my monopod with wheels, once the new design is complete.

Patrick Pike
November 11th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Richard-

I'm jumping on this thread a bit late, but I have some ideas for your "dolly".

1. I noticed that you used a framing bracket for the "base" of the dolly - does this flex alot and lead to unecessary bumps? I am considering welding something together to be very firm.

2. Have you thought about rollerblade wheels? They can be had inexpensivly, and have a very low rolling resitance. Perhaps this would help withthe starting and stopping.

I am currently planning out a build for myself and am trying to bounce ideas around.

Marcus Marchesseault
December 11th, 2006, 05:38 PM
If you think you are jumping into this thread late, I am really tardy! I've been thinking that a monopod that has a pan head doesn't need three or four wheels. A short wheel base is unstable, so how about losing a wheel and making a two-wheel portable dolly that makes it's own track? Make it like an inline skate with two big wheels and line it up with the aisle in the church or whatever area you are using. Use the pan head for all other movements, but use the smooth wheels for camera position.

Richard Zlamany
December 11th, 2006, 10:48 PM
yes, there was too much bending in the bracket. The worst part was it was top heavy. I could get some good straight movements out of it, but the corners and turns were hard.

I am very interested in how your monopod with wheels fairs, so please keep us updated.

Ethan Piliavin
March 11th, 2007, 11:36 AM
If you other guys were getting into this thread late, well I guess I am now breaking the world record...

Anyway, I have been thinking about doing something like this as well, I do a lot of shoots in schools and many times I want to roll my camera down a hallway or through a crowd.

I have been thinking about doing this, except with a tripod, but now I see that a monopod may be much easier to implement, because the leg is always perpendicular to the ground, (and I dont want to mess up my manfrotto).

Anyway, I was thinking of using some strong piping as the 'monopod' I think it will add weight and stability and together with larger wheels like these http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42485 I may be on to something...

What do you think?

Richard Zlamany
March 11th, 2007, 12:09 PM
My monopod with wheels was a failure because the base was too thin and not wide enough. This made the device top heavy and bouncy.

The wheels in the link look good, but I'd be worried about the tires not being smooth enough.

I used the front wheels of shopping carts from super markets. They worked well.

Since then, I have bought a Merlin. The Merlin is great, but it needs a seperate lighter cam, so it slows me down and is harder to setup than a monopod with wheels.

Check this link for some other ideas that might work for you;

http://www.vfgadgets.com

Anyhow, if you are successful in making "MWW" please show it off.