View Full Version : XL1 power failure

Bill DePalma
March 9th, 2003, 04:01 PM
I have an xl1 power problem. While shooting an event last evening I put the camera into standby mode for 10 min. afterwhich it failed to power back up. I have tried everything I know but it remains dead. Any suggestions? The camera has worked flawlessly for 3 years. There has been no indication that a power problem might pop up, just very suddenly it refused to come out of stanby mode. Thoughts?
thanks
Bill

Chris Hurd
March 9th, 2003, 04:21 PM
Try replacing the little time/date battery, a Panasonic CR2025 which you can pick up at WalMart in a package of three for $1.00. That might do it, might not. Worth a try. If that doesn't work, you're probably looking at a trip to Canon Service.

Bill DePalma
March 9th, 2003, 05:06 PM
Thanks Chris I will give that a try although the sudden nature of the problem without a low battery warning is a little strange. But I will give that a try. I will look into "the club" for service, it sounds very good.
thanks
Bill

Ken Tanaka
March 9th, 2003, 06:20 PM
I second Chris' recommendation. Just removing the backup battery for a few minutes and then inserting a new one may have a "reboot" effect on the camera's system.

It couldn't hoit!

Bill DePalma
March 9th, 2003, 06:35 PM
Thanks guys-
I tried the new battery but to no effect. It just seems so odd, I put the unit into stand-by and poof it goes into a coma. Oh well, hopefully I can get a quick turn around on the repair. Thanks for the input.
Bill

Don Palomaki
March 9th, 2003, 07:47 PM
Did you try turn the camcorder off with the power/wheel switch? Did you try a difernt power source? Maybe a fuse has blown.

Bill DePalma
March 9th, 2003, 09:37 PM
Originally I put the camera into stand-by mode but then was unable to bring it back to power. I have tried different batteries as well as ac connection. Nothing.
I'm puzzled, just have not seen this before. Maybe the stand-by switch has a short?
thanls
Bill

Chris Hurd
March 10th, 2003, 12:00 AM
Sounds like a job for Canon Service, unfortunately.