XL1 power failure at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 9th, 2003, 04:01 PM   #1
New Boot

XL1 power failure

I have an xl1 power problem. While shooting an event last evening I put the camera into standby mode for 10 min. afterwhich it failed to power back up. I have tried everything I know but it remains dead. Any suggestions? The camera has worked flawlessly for 3 years. There has been no indication that a power problem might pop up, just very suddenly it refused to come out of stanby mode. Thoughts?
thanks
Bill
Bill DePalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2003, 04:21 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Try replacing the little time/date battery, a Panasonic CR2025 which you can pick up at WalMart in a package of three for $1.00. That might do it, might not. Worth a try. If that doesn't work, you're probably looking at a trip to Canon Service.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2003, 05:06 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Chris I will give that a try although the sudden nature of the problem without a low battery warning is a little strange. But I will give that a try. I will look into "the club" for service, it sounds very good.
thanks
Bill
Old March 9th, 2003, 06:20 PM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I second Chris' recommendation. Just removing the backup battery for a few minutes and then inserting a new one may have a "reboot" effect on the camera's system.

It couldn't hoit!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2003, 06:35 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks guys-
I tried the new battery but to no effect. It just seems so odd, I put the unit into stand-by and poof it goes into a coma. Oh well, hopefully I can get a quick turn around on the repair. Thanks for the input.
Bill
Old March 9th, 2003, 07:47 PM   #6
Wrangler

Did you try turn the camcorder off with the power/wheel switch? Did you try a difernt power source? Maybe a fuse has blown.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2003, 09:37 PM   #7
New Boot

Originally I put the camera into stand-by mode but then was unable to bring it back to power. I have tried different batteries as well as ac connection. Nothing.
I'm puzzled, just have not seen this before. Maybe the stand-by switch has a short?
thanls
Bill
Old March 10th, 2003, 12:00 AM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Sounds like a job for Canon Service, unfortunately.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog