View Full Version : Water/rain proof hood

John Jencks
November 17th, 2006, 11:00 AM
As London has finally started to liveup to its reputation as a city happiest underwater (ie its raining constantly), does anyone have any recomendations for water or at least rainproof hoods/housings.
I see there are a couple of companies that make them for our beloved camera and I have used things made by Porta Brace before that have been dependable, but does anyone have any hands on experience?
Thanks, as all ways.
John

Robert Lane
November 17th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Since I live in an area that is your weather opposite I've never shot my HVX in the rain (rain - that's where water comes down from above, right? - laughs) however I did test drive a Porta-Brace bag for a potentially dusty situation and liked the access panels and general fit around the HVX frame. I've heard Kata makes a good one but my money would be with PB.

Matt Davis
November 17th, 2006, 11:58 AM
does anyone have any recomendations for water or at least rainproof hoods/housings.

This may not be exactly what you want to hear, but there are 3 things that really work in concert with each other (assuming you have a daylight filter screwed in to protect your lens, plus a lenspen to cure smears on it):

- Cling film

- Carrier bags

- Gaffer tape

It's the cling-film that really gets the biscuit. Good for sandy environments too.

Wrapping your beloved in carrier bags and then gaffering it to fit will ensure a snugger fit than commercial offerings (oh thank goodness I didn't actually pay real money for my Z1's cordura showercap).

Dean Sensui
November 17th, 2006, 10:25 PM
I had a Petrol cover over my HVX when I was in a downpour. Stayed absolutely dry. Easy to put on, and it allows good access to controls.

You also have a choice of making it into a very snug protective cover or something that's looser yet provides enough protection from the rain.

Robert Lane
November 18th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Ditto on the Petrol; forgot I test drove one of those too, liked it a lot. Between PB and Petrol I'd say it's a toss up - whichever fits your needs, or budget, better.

John Jencks
November 18th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Thanks for al of that,
you are as ever, invaluable.
John

Cole McDonald
November 18th, 2006, 06:04 PM
I use hefty bags and gaffer's tape alot...covers lots of liquids...including fake blood on my last shoot. Spraying right at the camera to get a cool POV shot (UV filter on lens to protect.

John Jencks
November 19th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Yes, that's the other reason that I want to get one. A DoP that I often work was involved in a shot where fake blood was sprayed right at my camera, WITHOUT ANY SORT OF PROTECTION. He was lucky that I only found out several days after the shoot, when I had already spent some days shooting with my camera without noticing anything amis.