Water/rain proof hood at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old November 17th, 2006, 11:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Water/rain proof hood

As London has finally started to liveup to its reputation as a city happiest underwater (ie its raining constantly), does anyone have any recomendations for water or at least rainproof hoods/housings.
I see there are a couple of companies that make them for our beloved camera and I have used things made by Porta Brace before that have been dependable, but does anyone have any hands on experience?
Thanks, as all ways.
John
Old November 17th, 2006, 11:56 AM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

Since I live in an area that is your weather opposite I've never shot my HVX in the rain (rain - that's where water comes down from above, right? - laughs) however I did test drive a Porta-Brace bag for a potentially dusty situation and liked the access panels and general fit around the HVX frame. I've heard Kata makes a good one but my money would be with PB.
Old November 17th, 2006, 11:58 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jencks
does anyone have any recomendations for water or at least rainproof hoods/housings.
This may not be exactly what you want to hear, but there are 3 things that really work in concert with each other (assuming you have a daylight filter screwed in to protect your lens, plus a lenspen to cure smears on it):

- Cling film

- Carrier bags

- Gaffer tape

It's the cling-film that really gets the biscuit. Good for sandy environments too.

Wrapping your beloved in carrier bags and then gaffering it to fit will ensure a snugger fit than commercial offerings (oh thank goodness I didn't actually pay real money for my Z1's cordura showercap).
Matt Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 10:25 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I had a Petrol cover over my HVX when I was in a downpour. Stayed absolutely dry. Easy to put on, and it allows good access to controls.

You also have a choice of making it into a very snug protective cover or something that's looser yet provides enough protection from the rain.
Old November 18th, 2006, 12:29 PM   #5
Go Go Godzilla

Ditto on the Petrol; forgot I test drove one of those too, liked it a lot. Between PB and Petrol I'd say it's a toss up - whichever fits your needs, or budget, better.
Old November 18th, 2006, 03:05 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for al of that,
you are as ever, invaluable.
John
Old November 18th, 2006, 06:04 PM   #7
Trustee

I use hefty bags and gaffer's tape alot...covers lots of liquids...including fake blood on my last shoot. Spraying right at the camera to get a cool POV shot (UV filter on lens to protect.
Old November 19th, 2006, 02:15 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Yes, that's the other reason that I want to get one. A DoP that I often work was involved in a shot where fake blood was sprayed right at my camera, WITHOUT ANY SORT OF PROTECTION. He was lucky that I only found out several days after the shoot, when I had already spent some days shooting with my camera without noticing anything amis.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders