View Full Version : Christmas video with HD-100

Council Bradshaw
December 20th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Last weekend I did a test using the HD-100. My family home was all decorated for a Historic Holiday tour, so I seized the moment to capture some footage. I really wanted to see what the camera could do under very low light situations. I only used available light plus two 150watt Arri lights and was really surprised. I'm used to really lighting for this camera but found that I was able to get some pretty stunning images with very little effort. Some shots I did lower the shutter to 1/24. It turned out so well that I put together a holiday greeting and posted it on our company website. Have a peek.
and happy holidays.

www.dejaviewmedia.com

Matt Setnes
December 20th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Bradshaw that was absolutely awesome. I was waiting for some practical lighting to roll in someday, the jvc preformed very well. Can I ask you, what jib did you use, and were there any florescent bulbs in any of the fixtures?

Hayes Roberts
December 20th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Looks great- the Christmas tree shot, in particular, was wonderful. What were your settings, etc.? Merry Christmas!

Brian Duke
December 20th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Hi,

I didn't really like the story too much and the characters were kinda weak. Just seemed like the plot never paid off and it kept going and going. The main character, I believe you call him Jesus, just wasn't very compelling to watch.

All kidding aside. Beautiful footage and I want to have Christmas there. Looks like afuin house to be at. =)

Bill Ravens
December 21st, 2006, 08:13 AM
I just shot a 20 minute performance of a storyteller doing his performance in a friend's livingroom. Lighting was really poor with only two overhead 100 watt incandescents. I shot the footage at 30 fps, 1/60th, f/4, with the gain turned up (12), wb 3200F. I expected the footage to be really grainy. It worked out extremely well, with only a minor WB adjustment. Very, very happy with the performance of my HD110. Oh, and I used the Panamatch color settings.

Council Bradshaw
December 21st, 2006, 09:56 AM
Hey everyone... I'm glad you all liked the video. Here is the lineup of what I used. The camera was set to Paolo's TC3 scene file. Camera was set to 24p
with a shutter set to 1/24 on many shots. This helped get a better exposure, but I also had to be real slow on the boom moves to avoid jerky footage. Otherwise I usually keep it at 1/48. Speaking of boom, I use an EZFX jib on every shot. (www.ezfx.com) it's compact and easy for one person to set up and roll around. For lighting I just used 2 arri 150 watt lights and the practicals around the house. Oh and candles. I pulled out some 1/2 CTO to warm the lighting a bit yoo. That's about it... nothing special. For one person and minimal lighting I was pleased. The JVC HD-100 continues to impress me.

Diogo Athouguia
December 21st, 2006, 01:38 PM
Awesome, really nice footage. However you could have tried no to use the iris fully opened to avoid that purple/green CA. That's a really anoying characteristic of the lens.

Nice family home.

Chris Rentzel
December 21st, 2006, 01:57 PM
... However you could have tried no to use the iris fully opened to avoid that purple/green CA....

Picky picky.

Burk Webb
December 21st, 2006, 02:50 PM
This is obviously fake!

There is no way anyone's house could possibly be that clean this close to Christmas :)

Great looking stuff - I don't know what I am inspired more to do...go shoot some Christmas footage...or clean my house! Thanks a bunch for posting.

Jonathan Nelson
December 21st, 2006, 03:11 PM
This is obviously fake!

There is no way anyone's house could possibly be that clean this close to Christmas :)

Great looking stuff - I don't know what I am inspired more to do...go shoot some Christmas footage...or clean my house! Thanks a bunch for posting.

Yeah, what is up with all these messy houses before Christmas. It seems to be a fad or something.

That footage is just plain cool. I like the opening the most. It would be cool if you could post another similar piece except using the varicam instead :)

I would love to see the difference, lol.

Warren Shultz
December 21st, 2006, 03:30 PM
I can only dream of a house that organized for Christmas. Inspirational! BTW, love the music, what CD is that from?

Warren

Paolo Ciccone
December 21st, 2006, 03:34 PM
Very, very nice Council. Another proof of what you can do with this camera when you have the skills that you have.

Happy Holidays.

Council Bradshaw
December 21st, 2006, 11:50 PM
You guys are too funny. Why do think I whipped out the camera... I've never seen that house look so clean. Actually my mother and her sisters worked tirelessly to pull that off so I thought it would be nice to put together a DVD showcasing their hard work. Diogo, I typically don't shoot with the iris all the way open but I didn't have much choice given the low light situation. Jonathan.. I wanted to shoot with the varicam but at the time didn't have a HD field monitor which makes shooting with the jib impossible. So I stuck with the HD-100. Plus I really wanted to push this camera in low light. And thanks Paolo... for the nice complement and the scene file. Oh yeah the music is from "Celtic Woman... A Christmas Celebration" Everyone have a super Holiday.

Scott Jaco
December 23rd, 2006, 03:39 PM
How did you do those titles? Any special software? Who did the animation?

Jonathan Nelson
December 23rd, 2006, 05:17 PM
You guys are too funny. Why do think I whipped out the camera... I've never seen that house look so clean. Actually my mother and her sisters worked tirelessly to pull that off so I thought it would be nice to put together a DVD showcasing their hard work. Diogo, I typically don't shoot with the iris all the way open but I didn't have much choice given the low light situation. Jonathan.. I wanted to shoot with the varicam but at the time didn't have a HD field monitor which makes shooting with the jib impossible. So I stuck with the HD-100. Plus I really wanted to push this camera in low light. And thanks Paolo... for the nice complement and the scene file. Oh yeah the music is from "Celtic Woman... A Christmas Celebration" Everyone have a super Holiday.

No problem, I just think it would be cool to see it with the varicam after seeing it with the hd100.

I was bored today so I am making my own xmas movie now except my version shows the house really messy and then goes to a clean version after I clean it up. Instead of using a jib, I am using a steadycam and dolly to make smooth tracking shots. I have a bunch of "flying" shots that go great with the music and a lot more cut aways as well.

It will be way better then yours when I am done with it. However, I will give you the credit for thinking this up ;)

Happy Holidays!

Stephen L. Noe
December 24th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Last weekend I did a test using the HD-100. My family home was all decorated for a Historic Holiday tour, so I seized the moment to capture some footage. I really wanted to see what the camera could do under very low light situations. I only used available light plus two 150watt Arri lights and was really surprised. I'm used to really lighting for this camera but found that I was able to get some pretty stunning images with very little effort. Some shots I did lower the shutter to 1/24. It turned out so well that I put together a holiday greeting and posted it on our company website. Have a peek.
and happy holidays.

www.dejaviewmedia.com
Good stuff and very nice home. How many generations of "stuff" are in the home?

Brian Luce
December 24th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Great looking footage. My only comment would be that for some strange reason i felt like I'd seen it before...
Merry Christmas everyone!

Scott Ellifritt
December 24th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Very nice! JVC rocks! :)

Cecil Searcy
January 3rd, 2007, 03:03 PM
That looks great. If I may ask what did you cut it on?

Jerry Porter
January 4th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Very nice I really need to bite the bullet and buy a boom and jib. I will be in Greensboro tomorrow doing a shoot with my 110. Not quite as pretty as your subject though.

Council Bradshaw
January 5th, 2007, 09:17 PM
I highly recommend the EXFZ jib... Easy to set up, solid, sturdy construction. I use it all the time. My clients love it. Jerry, since you're just down the street from me feel free to come up and check it out or even use it. Cecil, I edit on a FCP system. Jonathan, I'm shooting a project next week with the varicam and I'm using the HD-100 as a second camera. I'll post some comparisons when I get the chance. Rock on guys...

Jonathan Nelson
January 8th, 2007, 12:37 PM
I highly recommend the EXFZ jib... Easy to set up, solid, sturdy construction. I use it all the time. My clients love it. Jerry, since you're just down the street from me feel free to come up and check it out or even use it. Cecil, I edit on a FCP system. Jonathan, I'm shooting a project next week with the varicam and I'm using the HD-100 as a second camera. I'll post some comparisons when I get the chance. Rock on guys...

Your the man!

Thanks, I look forward to seeing more of your work.