Christmas video with HD-100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 20th, 2006, 08:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Christmas video with HD-100

Last weekend I did a test using the HD-100. My family home was all decorated for a Historic Holiday tour, so I seized the moment to capture some footage. I really wanted to see what the camera could do under very low light situations. I only used available light plus two 150watt Arri lights and was really surprised. I'm used to really lighting for this camera but found that I was able to get some pretty stunning images with very little effort. Some shots I did lower the shutter to 1/24. It turned out so well that I put together a holiday greeting and posted it on our company website. Have a peek.
and happy holidays.

www.dejaviewmedia.com
Council Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 08:49 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Bradshaw that was absolutely awesome. I was waiting for some practical lighting to roll in someday, the jvc preformed very well. Can I ask you, what jib did you use, and were there any florescent bulbs in any of the fixtures?
Matt Setnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 09:50 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Looks great- the Christmas tree shot, in particular, was wonderful. What were your settings, etc.? Merry Christmas!
Hayes Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 10:22 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi,

I didn't really like the story too much and the characters were kinda weak. Just seemed like the plot never paid off and it kept going and going. The main character, I believe you call him Jesus, just wasn't very compelling to watch.

All kidding aside. Beautiful footage and I want to have Christmas there. Looks like afuin house to be at. =)
Old December 21st, 2006, 08:13 AM   #5

I just shot a 20 minute performance of a storyteller doing his performance in a friend's livingroom. Lighting was really poor with only two overhead 100 watt incandescents. I shot the footage at 30 fps, 1/60th, f/4, with the gain turned up (12), wb 3200F. I expected the footage to be really grainy. It worked out extremely well, with only a minor WB adjustment. Very, very happy with the performance of my HD110. Oh, and I used the Panamatch color settings.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 09:56 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hey everyone... I'm glad you all liked the video. Here is the lineup of what I used. The camera was set to Paolo's TC3 scene file. Camera was set to 24p
with a shutter set to 1/24 on many shots. This helped get a better exposure, but I also had to be real slow on the boom moves to avoid jerky footage. Otherwise I usually keep it at 1/48. Speaking of boom, I use an EZFX jib on every shot. (www.ezfx.com) it's compact and easy for one person to set up and roll around. For lighting I just used 2 arri 150 watt lights and the practicals around the house. Oh and candles. I pulled out some 1/2 CTO to warm the lighting a bit yoo. That's about it... nothing special. For one person and minimal lighting I was pleased. The JVC HD-100 continues to impress me.
Old December 21st, 2006, 01:38 PM   #7
Major Player

Awesome, really nice footage. However you could have tried no to use the iris fully opened to avoid that purple/green CA. That's a really anoying characteristic of the lens.

Nice family home.
Diogo Athouguia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 01:57 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogo Athouguia
... However you could have tried no to use the iris fully opened to avoid that purple/green CA....
Picky picky.
Chris Rentzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 02:50 PM   #9
Major Player

This is obviously fake!

There is no way anyone's house could possibly be that clean this close to Christmas :)

Great looking stuff - I don't know what I am inspired more to do...go shoot some Christmas footage...or clean my house! Thanks a bunch for posting.
Burk Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 03:11 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burk Webb
This is obviously fake!

There is no way anyone's house could possibly be that clean this close to Christmas :)

Great looking stuff - I don't know what I am inspired more to do...go shoot some Christmas footage...or clean my house! Thanks a bunch for posting.
Yeah, what is up with all these messy houses before Christmas. It seems to be a fad or something.

That footage is just plain cool. I like the opening the most. It would be cool if you could post another similar piece except using the varicam instead :)

I would love to see the difference, lol.
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 03:30 PM   #11
Major Player

I can only dream of a house that organized for Christmas. Inspirational! BTW, love the music, what CD is that from?

Warren
Warren Shultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 03:34 PM   #12
Trustee

Very, very nice Council. Another proof of what you can do with this camera when you have the skills that you have.

Happy Holidays.
Old December 21st, 2006, 11:50 PM   #13
Regular Crew

You guys are too funny. Why do think I whipped out the camera... I've never seen that house look so clean. Actually my mother and her sisters worked tirelessly to pull that off so I thought it would be nice to put together a DVD showcasing their hard work. Diogo, I typically don't shoot with the iris all the way open but I didn't have much choice given the low light situation. Jonathan.. I wanted to shoot with the varicam but at the time didn't have a HD field monitor which makes shooting with the jib impossible. So I stuck with the HD-100. Plus I really wanted to push this camera in low light. And thanks Paolo... for the nice complement and the scene file. Oh yeah the music is from "Celtic Woman... A Christmas Celebration" Everyone have a super Holiday.
Old December 23rd, 2006, 03:39 PM   #14
Major Player

How did you do those titles? Any special software? Who did the animation?
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2006, 05:17 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Council Bradshaw
You guys are too funny. Why do think I whipped out the camera... I've never seen that house look so clean. Actually my mother and her sisters worked tirelessly to pull that off so I thought it would be nice to put together a DVD showcasing their hard work. Diogo, I typically don't shoot with the iris all the way open but I didn't have much choice given the low light situation. Jonathan.. I wanted to shoot with the varicam but at the time didn't have a HD field monitor which makes shooting with the jib impossible. So I stuck with the HD-100. Plus I really wanted to push this camera in low light. And thanks Paolo... for the nice complement and the scene file. Oh yeah the music is from "Celtic Woman... A Christmas Celebration" Everyone have a super Holiday.
No problem, I just think it would be cool to see it with the varicam after seeing it with the hd100.

I was bored today so I am making my own xmas movie now except my version shows the house really messy and then goes to a clean version after I clean it up. Instead of using a jib, I am using a steadycam and dolly to make smooth tracking shots. I have a bunch of "flying" shots that go great with the music and a lot more cut aways as well.

It will be way better then yours when I am done with it. However, I will give you the credit for thinking this up ;)

Happy Holidays!

Last edited by Jonathan Nelson; December 23rd, 2006 at 08:43 PM.
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems