View Full Version : Canon XH A1 and Firestore

Pages : 1 [2]

James Jackson
March 29th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Is the FS-C even available right now? Where is it in stock!?!?

Jay Rodriguez
March 29th, 2007, 07:26 PM
i couldn't find it anywhere about a month ago

Farishad Latjuba
April 14th, 2007, 12:47 PM
QuickTime HDV 1080i/24F and 1080i/30F support will only be available on the FS-C model.
Matt

What about PAL version? 25F on the FS-C model? Or even better, the model that can receive 24F, 25F & 30F.

Nathan Quattrini
April 30th, 2007, 10:22 AM
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&Q=&is=REG&O=productlist&sku=434414

My question is why can`t they do timelapse in HDV? Seems pretty bad to mix DV timelapsed footage with HDV footage if they are for the same project

Colin McFadden
April 30th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Because the HDV video structure, with 15 frames grouped together and inherently interrelated, makes it very hard (computationally) to get a single frame. The Firestore is a "dumb" device - it doesn't do any actual decoding (and reencoding) of the video stream, which would be required to do a time lapse with HDV. They just write data to disk.

So yeah, it's easy in DV where you can extract any frame individually, not so easy in HDV.

Alex Leith
April 30th, 2007, 10:28 AM
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&Q=&is=REG&O=productlist&sku=434414

My question is why can`t they do timelapse in HDV? Seems pretty bad to mix DV timelapsed footage with HDV footage if they are for the same project

Because HDV is an interframe compression codec. Frames are grouped into GOPs (12 frames) which all refer to each other to build a complete moving image. Thus HDV cannot be used for timelapse recording, because you have to record the GOP all at once.

John Richard
May 2nd, 2007, 09:38 AM
From my experience with the XLH1 and FS4ProHD and Edius is that it works great in DV --- but in HDV it is problematic.

The FSC firestore is the model now made specifically for the XLH1 (and presumably the A1 and G1). But I have no experience with the FS-C. I am trying to find someone who has experienced reliable HDV results in all frame rates and in both m2t and QT file formats.

Bottom line, if you are going to make the leap with a Firestore for the Canon, stick with the FS-C.

Wade Hanchey
July 3rd, 2007, 05:48 PM
Bottom line, if you are going to make the leap with a Firestore for the Canon, stick with the FS-C.

What's the advantage of the FS-C over the FS-4 Pro HD model? The only thing I understand is the Quicktime issue with the FS-4. I have the A1 and am using Vegas 7. Do I need the Quicktime format for anything? I see a price difference in the two models and don't want to spend the extra dollars for something I don't need. Vegas can work with QT files. Would there be any advantage to recording in 1080i QT over .m2t files? I've read of an issue with transferring the .m2t files to PC. Is there a similar issue with 1080i QT files or would that be reason enough to get the FS-C if it solves that issue?

John Richard
July 5th, 2007, 12:45 PM
If you ever shoot for editors using Final Cut Pro (a huge group), then supplying files/footage shot in the QTfile format wrapper is an important consideration.

If you are always shooting for yourself, then it may not be an issue for you.

We've never had an FS-C ourselves, only the FS4ProHD. And sad to say they have sat pretty much unused except for occasional standard def DV usage - and even then we chose not to bother much with it unfortunately.

Wade Hanchey
July 5th, 2007, 06:31 PM
John,

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.

David Chia
July 6th, 2007, 02:59 AM
What about PAL version? 25F on the FS-C model? Or even better, the model that can receive 24F, 25F & 30F.

I have upgraded XHA1. It can do PAL and NTSC. So which firestone model does both? I want to be able to do 24f,25f,30f,50i,60i

Buddy Frazer
July 6th, 2007, 06:05 AM
Wade,
I use and FS-4Pro HD with my A1 and Vegas 7 and it works perfectly in Standard Definition.

In HDV there are some issues with the m2t files it creates.
1. The Retro Cache does not work. It creates corrupted files. I am working with Focus Enhancements on the issue, but it is not solved.
2. Since the FS-4 breaks the files about every 8.5 minutes, they do not join together seamlessly. However, Danny Fye has written a .bat file to concatenate them and create a single file with no breaks. (Search this forum for the file.)

Buddy

Wade Hanchey
July 6th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Buddy,

Yes, I've read the sticky in here referencing the work-around by Danny Fye. I'm glad to hear that SD works without a hitch though. Thanks. Sounds like it isn't worth the extra dollars to go with the FS-C.

Eugene Presley
July 9th, 2007, 02:17 AM
I've been working for some weeks now with a Firestore FS4 PRO HD (80gb), in combination with a Canon XH A1. It does work without any problem, either in sd or hd.
I use Final Cut Pro. I do not understand all the bashing of the Firestore at all, as it saved me hours of capturing time, and it's so easy to work with.

The only smaller problem is the firewire cable into the harddisk, I have to check a lot if it's still connected firmly. An angled cable would solve this though.

Buddy Frazer
July 9th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Eugene,
I assume you record the files as QuickTime with the FS-4. Do you use Retro Record successfully?

I use a Windows PC with QuickTime Pro, but can't seem to play the QuickTime HD files created with the FS-4. Do you have any idea why not?

Buddy

Eugene Presley
July 10th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Eugene,
I assume you record the files as QuickTime with the FS-4. Do you use Retro Record successfully?

I use a Windows PC with QuickTime Pro, but can't seem to play the QuickTime HD files created with the FS-4. Do you have any idea why not?

Buddy

Hi Buddy,

I record the files as Quicktime yes. I haven't checked the Retro Record modus yet. It's not that essential for me...

Brian Spatz
July 29th, 2007, 03:20 PM
For those with the FS-C unit, does it give you the ability to record tapes that have been previously recorded? In other words, can I take a tape I shot last week, play it back in the camera and create files inside the unit?

Thanks a ton,

Brian Spatz

Kevin Martorana
August 5th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Okay...just spent 20 minutes reading the entire thread...wow.

We have a H1...

Has anyone successfully used ANY version of the Focus Enhancement Firestore...to record HD, 1080/24f and then bring it into an AVID ADRENALINE ?

Right now we have to use a Convergence Connect box to bring in the footage real time...via HDSDI. Sucks because talking with the camera is difficult AND hard on the H1.

At NAB...AVID guys were running around with a Firestore and H1...we stopped two of them and asked how they were editing the footage....answer:

"uh...we havent' figured that out yet" ! REALLY ????

Any suggestions ?

Thanks !

Jim Stamps
January 8th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Based on the status of this thread, and the lack of info on FE's website regarding firmware v2.1, I thought I would try to revive this conversation.

Is there any update on the FS-C v2.1 update that will add quicktime file support for 1080i 24F? or any other model that will add this capability?

Thanks.

Kellen Dengler
January 9th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Jim, I've been wondering the same thing and the only solution I can find, even after talking with the Focus Enhancements sales rep is the Canon FSC-60/100 Firestore. Since it is made by and for a Canon it will support all Canon codecs and frame rates. They are a little pricey but I think the lack of headache and frustration will make up for that...

Julian Frost
February 25th, 2008, 06:49 PM
A real quick question...

I'm interested in buying the FS-4Pro HD, but am unsure if it supports all the recording modes of the Canon XH-A1.

Thanks.

Kalulu Ngilo
February 25th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Only the FS-C will support all of the A1s format. I believe the FS-4 series supports the 60i/m2t files.

A real quick question...

I'm interested in buying the FS-4Pro HD, but am unsure if it supports all the recording modes of the Canon XH-A1.

Thanks.

Daniel Kucharski
March 24th, 2008, 06:51 AM
i live in the uk where can i pruchase the firestore for canon?

John J. Watkins
March 29th, 2008, 08:38 AM
For those with the FS-C unit, does it give you the ability to record tapes that have been previously recorded? In other words, can I take a tape I shot last week, play it back in the camera and create files inside the unit?

Thanks a ton,

Brian Spatz

I have done this successfully. The only problem is that it ends up being one big file instead of several small ones. I've done it this way in the past because I've had issues with the Firewire connection while recording in the field. So when I can, I just shoot tape only and transfer while driving back to the office (newspaper/website) provided the trip back is longer than the footage I've captured.

Colin McDonald
March 29th, 2008, 12:28 PM
i live in the uk where can i pruchase the firestore for canon?

The UK distributor for Firestore products is
Holdan Limited,
Unit 2 Waterside Business Park,
Hadfield,
Glossop,
SK13 1BE,
United Kingdom
http://www.holdan.co.uk/focus/fs4.htm

I bought a FireStore FS-4 Pro 60 GB with my A1 (I didn't know about the existence of the FS-C).

The Holdan website is a bit vague about whether you can actually buy the FS-C here - the left hand side of the age states:

QUOTE: FireStore FS-4Pro HD / FS-C
The FireStore FS-4Pro HD & FS-C Portable DTE Recorder brings all of the features of the FireStore FS-4Pro to DV and HDV camcorders and editing systems. Using reels, the FS-4Pro HD 60Gb /FS-C 60 Gb makes it easy to categorize clips by placing them in prenamed folders on the disk while you shoot. 90 Minute Battery Supplied. FS-4Pro 80Gb/100Gb/FS-C 100Gb - 180 Minute Battery Supplied.
Supports:
SD - Raw DV, AVI Type 1&2, Matrox & Canopus AVI & QuickTime, P2 MXF(DVCPRO25), Pinnacle AVI, AVID OMF & DV-MXF.
HDV - 720p/1080i (*.m2t) and QT 1080i 50/60
/QUOTE

but the right hand side specifies models and prices:

QUOTE:
Focus FS-4 Portable DTE Recorders are available in two models
The FS-4 HD and the FS-4Pro HD (available in 60/80/100Gb)
Model
FS-4
HD 60Gb

FS-4Pro HD 60Gb

FS-4Pro HD 80Gb

FS-4Pro HD 100Gb

/QUOTE

so I'm still mystified. How about you email them and find out and tell us here?

Stephen Knifton
January 24th, 2009, 11:13 PM
hi .. any update from matt, or anyone on this ?

if i buy a new fs-c tomorrow, will it be capable of shooting 60i, 30f and 24f ?

thanks ... sk

Joy Taylor
January 25th, 2009, 11:37 AM
I had the same question about the FS-C, does it support all recording types the Canon XH can create.

I read that Focus Enhancements filed for bankruptcy in September 2008 and their stock has been worth less than a penny for some time.

I also read they have a new product, the FS-5.

Focus also has a DTE version for the Panny 200, and I believe a JVC version also exists.

I don't know how well a bankrupt company delivers technical support, so if anyone has any experience with FE and their products in the last 3-6 months, let us know.

Thanks for any updates.

Julian Frost
January 25th, 2009, 11:56 AM
The FS-C is the model specifically for Canon cameras. It supports ALL the modes the Canon XH-A1 outputs.

Julian

Bart Kuykens
January 26th, 2009, 08:12 AM
I just received an upgrade(2.1.3) and it seems to work fine! I can record in m2t or QT HD.
Email me for the update, I'll send them asap.

Michael Strycharske
January 28th, 2009, 11:47 AM
I had the same question about the FS-C, does it support all recording types the Canon XH can create.

I read that Focus Enhancements filed for bankruptcy in September 2008 and their stock has been worth less than a penny for some time.

I also read they have a new product, the FS-5.

Focus also has a DTE version for the Panny 200, and I believe a JVC version also exists.

I don't know how well a bankrupt company delivers technical support, so if anyone has any experience with FE and their products in the last 3-6 months, let us know.

Thanks for any updates.

Joy-
I recently purchased an FS-C on eBay. It arrived with a broken firewire connector. I emailed Focus Enhancements Tech Support and after receiving no reply I called their California office. There I spoke to a tech support person who gave me a repair number and told me to ship the system to them. Because it was still within the two-year warranty period, they repaired the unit for free and even shipped it back to me at their expense. The only cost I had was $18 to ship the unit to them - and the eBay seller reimbursed me for that. So, my experience with their tech support while in bankruptcy has been excellent (except for the unanswered email).