View Full Version : Canon XH A1 and Firestore

Pages : [1] 2

Larry Kamerman
December 27th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Having difficulty synching the Firestore and the A1 and hoping someone can help.

I purchased the A1 and the FS 4ProHD and had no problem having the Firestore record m2T files, but have not been able to get it to record a 24F stream in Quicktime, even though the update has already been installed and Quicktime appears in the menu.

Spoke with Focus Enhancements (very nice people) and they had me try a few things none of which worked. At their suggestion, I returned the unit and got another one from a different dealer but the same thing happened.

Does anyone have any suggestions??

Anthony Leong
December 27th, 2006, 09:13 PM
I bought the Focus FS-C for my Canon XH-A1, but my Focus FS-C haven't arrive yet from Tapeworks Texas. Why didn't you try the Focus FS-C? It's made for the Canon.

Larry Kamerman
December 27th, 2006, 09:24 PM
The people I spoke with at Focus told me that the FS4ProHD will work with the Canon - it's essentially the same- but the ProHD has certain options the others don't. And, it did work with the A1. I had no problem when it was set on m2t. Only has a problem when trying to capture in Quicktime mode

Ryan Flesher
December 28th, 2006, 09:03 AM
The word from FE is that the current 2.0 firmware on the FS-C and FS-4ProHD will record only 1080/60i. They are beta testing 2.1 right now that will record 24f and 30f but no dice yet. I called FE and posted here and got the same answer each time, that's why I am holding out until the 2.1 upgrade is available.
Ryan

Matt McEwen
December 28th, 2006, 10:50 AM
QuickTime HDV 1080i/24F and 1080i/30F support will only be available on the FS-C model.
Matt

Larry Kamerman
December 28th, 2006, 11:10 AM
QuickTime HDV 1080i/24F and 1080i/30F support will only be available on the FS-C model.
Matt

Matt, any idea when the update will be released?
Thanx.

Matt McEwen
December 28th, 2006, 11:12 AM
I do not have an accurate date right now, but engineering is working on it. If you are interested in beta testing, please let me know.
Matt

Larry Kamerman
December 28th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Definitely interested in beta testing. Can go downtown today and get the FS-C.

Ryan Flesher
December 28th, 2006, 12:35 PM
I would love to Beta Test. I will buy a FS-C this weekend if I can beta test. If not I will wait for the upgrade.
Let me know Matt.
Ryan

Colin McFadden
December 28th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Matt

Matt - is this really true? That would be very disappointing. I've got three FS4ProHDs that I'm using with Canon XL-H1s, because the FS-C wasn't available at the time I bought the cameras. When the FS-C was showing at the booth at NAB last year, I was told that the only difference was the harddisk size and mounting bracket, and that I wouldn't suffer for not having it.

That'd be a serious bummer.

Jay Rodriguez
January 2nd, 2007, 10:18 AM
Matt

Wait a minute, now I feel totally mislead.

I was told 2 weeks ago that the FS-4 HD was perfectly suitable for the Canon A1, supports QuickTime HDV 1080i/24F and 1080i/30F and is ahipped with the update on it.

What gives here?

Now (as of last week) I have the FS-4 HD, it doesn't record QT but shows the option and I'm being told from other Canon owners that I have the wrong unit.

Matt, what could be done about this?

Please help.

Jay

Matt McEwen
January 2nd, 2007, 12:48 PM
I was told 2 weeks ago that the FS-4 HD was perfectly suitable for the Canon A1, supports QuickTime HDV 1080i/24F and 1080i/30F and is ahipped with the update on it.

Where were you told this? FS-4 HD does not have QuickTime HDV support. 1080i/24F and 30F support is only on FS-C. However, FS-4 HD, FS-4Pro HD, FS-C etc all support 1080i/24F, 30F in the M2T file format. Maybe this is where the confusion stems from.

Matt

Jay Rodriguez
January 2nd, 2007, 02:06 PM
Where were you told this? FS-4 HD does not have QuickTime HDV support. 1080i/24F and 30F support is only on FS-C. However, FS-4 HD, FS-4Pro HD, FS-C etc all support 1080i/24F, 30F in the M2T file format. Maybe this is where the confusion stems from.

I responded to some of this in the other thread.

BUT

My FS-4Pro HD has options for m2t and QuickTime. Why would the QT option be there if it doesn't record in QT. Will it record SD in QT format but not HDV? Is that why it's there?

Colin McFadden
January 2nd, 2007, 02:59 PM
The FS4ProHD with the 2.0 update will record 1080i60 HDV into quicktime MOV files. It will not record 1080f24 into quicktime files, but will record it into m2t files.

It sounds like there is a software update down the line for the FS-C which will allow it to record 1080f24 into Quicktime files, but it's not available yet. It also sounds like that update will not apply to FS4ProHD users.

So, as I gather at this point, for HDV, if you've got a JVC camera you buy a DR-HD100, if you've got a Canon camera you buy an FS-C, and if you've got a Sony camera you buy an FS4ProHD (or a Sony DR60 I guess).

I think the "DTE Compatible Cameras" page on the Focus site should be updated to make it clear that XL-H1 owners shouldn't buy an FS4ProHD, as right now it has checkboxes for FS4ProHd and FS-C. Obviously us XL-H1 owners are going to be missing out on future updates with the FS4ProHD.

Jay Rodriguez
January 2nd, 2007, 04:08 PM
I agree, the site is misleading and inaccurate but the wow factor for me is how the techs at the company as well as sales people at video guys don't even know the difference. I don't blame them, it just sounds like Focus Enhancement doesn't have their information straight and drilled down the line through all departments and retailers.

It's ashame because we're the ones who suffer from it.

My FS is being sent back tomorrow.

Jay Fisk
January 4th, 2007, 01:08 AM
The 2.1 upgrade for the FS-C (which is in beta now), will add the ability to record 1080i/24F/25F/30F as QuickTime HDV files which can be used instantly in FCP.

Looking for beta testers?

Jourdan McClure
January 4th, 2007, 09:50 PM
I too feel as if I have been mislead. since this device was supposed to be an investment now its basically usless is that what I'm hearing Matt? I was told y you guys at FS which are REALLY COOL that it would work no problem and that I would be able to record 1080i 24f in native QT. Now I just got the drive about 3 weeks ago and havent even had time to use it...would I be able to return it or get the FS-C which I wasnt even aware of. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alex Leith
January 6th, 2007, 11:54 AM
The whole thing is nuts! What a way to make more money out of people.

I own Canon and Sony cameras. I take whichever one is the most suitable on the shoot. I want to move over to DTD recording, but now I find out I'll need to pay considerably more for a FS-C AND a FS-4Pro HD, and even then I'm probably not going to get Quicktime HDV compatability in 25p/f which is the mode I shoot in 99% of the time.

One word for Focus Enhancements - SIMPLIFY YOUR PRODUCT LINE!

Paul Chiappini
January 6th, 2007, 03:01 PM
I agee 100%. There should be, at most, only 3 products: DV, HDV and DVCPRO HD and even these could probably be rolled into one unit. I think that sometime this year FE will see some serious competition which will hopefully bring prices way down. I think the prices are artificially high right now.

Jay Fisk
January 6th, 2007, 04:11 PM
I think the prices are artificially high right now.

After yesterday's announcement by of SanDisk's 32GB HD replacement, I'm going to wait on anything with moving parts.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070104-8555.html

The first integrator that makes this technology available in a universal and affordable package (think ONE model) will absolutely rule the market.

Free firmware upgrades for life!

Steve Benner
January 6th, 2007, 06:10 PM
I am going to say that I have been VERY Happy with Focus Enhancements. I did my research, and got the DR-HD100 for my JVC. No problems. Lets not forget that the HD drives all work in .m2t. It is only for .MOV, that Focus gets more specific.

Jourdan McClure
January 8th, 2007, 09:09 PM
steve thanks for the reminder..but for the price we payed for the firestore there should not be any needing to convert m2t to .mov . Its just unfortunate.

Larry Kamerman
January 17th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Matt, any update on the beta testing for version 2.1?

Steve Nunez
January 17th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Jay the confusion might be in that you see "Quicktime" as an option in DV mode- but not in HD mode- see if this is what is confusing you?

I have the same unit and it works with ANY flavor of HDV but produces M2T files that you'll need to transcode for NLE use (which sorta defeats the ease of DTE recorders in a big way)....as for me- I can't wait for the next generation of HD camcorders that will feature hard drives instead of tape!

Jay Rodriguez
January 17th, 2007, 06:38 PM
I think that's what's going on Steve. Sucks though, these units should record 1080i/24f in QT format by default imo.

I'm with you on the internal disks residing internally on the cameras. Can't wait to see that happen!

OH by the way, I found out through the company that they haven't even begun developing 2.1 that the whole beta testing thing was just talk internally. I'm sure someone will challenge this statement but it was emailed to me from a tech in response to my issues.

Doug Tessler
January 17th, 2007, 11:50 PM
I just got the beta yesterday so they are testing it and of course I am too.
Matt is a very nice person who frequents this board.

Doug Tessler

Jay Rodriguez
January 18th, 2007, 09:03 AM
lol, amazing. I can't believe how fragmented the information from that company is.

Matt McEwen
January 24th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Hi Jay...who told you this..."OH by the way, I found out through the company that they haven't even begun developing 2.1 that the whole beta testing thing was just talk internally. I'm sure someone will challenge this statement but it was emailed to me from a tech in response to my issues."

Thanks,
Matt

Matt McEwen
January 24th, 2007, 01:36 PM
...and by the way, Doug is correct, we do have 2.1 in beta test at the moment - has been for a few weeks. We will be looking for more beta testers shortly.

Thanks,

Matt

Larry Kamerman
January 24th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Matt-
the offer still stands . . . would be happy to be one of the testers.

Jay Rodriguez
January 25th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Called the # from the website and spoke to the tech Joe. He laughed and said he never heard of anything like this happening. I suggest you calling yourself as a "user" and see for yourself.

I'm curious though Matt, why are you addressing only this statement from me when I have asked you other questions in other threads that you were in?

Jay Rodriguez
January 25th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Also, I was emailed on Thu, 4 Jan 2007 13:23:46 by the tech support and again it stated the same thing. Here's a copy of the email chain which I will be more then happy to forward to you and/or anyone else:

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Hello Jay,

I am sorry for the confusion. Matt is actually talking about a future upgrade for the FS-C. This upgrade has only been talked about and not even available for beta testing yet. It might not be available for several months down the road (maybe summer).

Our tech support department doesn't hear about these future developments so we are going on present information. We apologize for the confusion.

As of now the FS-4Pro HD will not have this upgrade. However, this may change.

Thanks,
Joe

Sent: Thu 1/4/2007 1:30 PM
To: Support
Subject: FS-4Pro HD

Will the FS-4Pro HD have the same update as the FS-C in regards to QT
1080i/24F recording?

I have been mislead by two people in your tech department as well as
one of your retailers as they said the FS-4Pro HD & the FS-C are the
same units and will have the same updates. Your techs and retailers
have a different answer almost everytime I have called and Matt McEwen
seems to provide a totally different response though these web forums
as well.

I need a final official word from your company before my return policy
expires from your retailer.

Please respond soon.

Many thanks,
Jay

Ryan Flesher
January 25th, 2007, 07:27 PM
I wonder how soem people on this page say they are currently beta testing if it doesn't exist. I doubt Matt would just be 'lying.' I there is probably just a communication problem. Or a big conspiracy!. I sure hope they get it worked out because I am starting a documentary in 2 weeks, shooting 24f. I guess I can always sell the firestore and buy a HV-10 and use it as a capture deck.
Until then I dream of at least being a beta tester.
Ryan

Jay Rodriguez
January 25th, 2007, 08:43 PM
I don't think Matt is being untruthful, I just know first hand that there's clearly so clear "straigh forward" answer to any of this. Numerous phone calls to the company, the vendor that I bought from (videoguys) and Matt have proven this. Plus, I'm not the only one dealing with this wrangled information mess. I feel like a total victim of all of this mess.

Doug Tessler
January 25th, 2007, 09:00 PM
I am a beta tester and so far their are problems as with any software updates and enhancements. Matt is good people and Focus Enhancements is just having growing pains. Look apple is going to update FCP so that it can read m2t files so the whole industry is just trying to catch up . I am just trying to help so that the software upgrade will be available soon.

Sincerely

Doug T

Jay Rodriguez
January 26th, 2007, 04:51 PM
I'm sure Matt is a good dude, I never once thought otherwise.

Where did you see that Apple was going to provide an update to work with m2t files?

Doug Tessler
January 26th, 2007, 05:45 PM
I do consulting for a compsny that works with apple computer , early July to late august FCP will be updated and maybe sooner .

Doug

Matt McEwen
January 31st, 2007, 06:18 PM
Just to clarify, version 2.1 is in beta test and it does add QuickTime 1080i/24F and 25F support to FS-C (and FS-C only).

Jay, sorry if I missed your other questions. Feel free to email me at mmcewen at focusinfo.com. I get on these forums as much as I can, but sometimes I miss a few questions.

We will be looking for more FS-C version 2.1 beta testers soon. Please email if you are interested (you need to own an FS-C).

Thanks,

Matt

John Richard
February 1st, 2007, 02:27 PM
"Just to clarify, version 2.1 is in beta test and it does add QuickTime 1080i/24F and 25F support to FS-C (and FS-C only). "

Just curious Matt as to why the 24f - Quick Time capability will/can not be translated into the FS4-ProHD which was sold as a package with the H1.

Jay Rodriguez
February 2nd, 2007, 09:12 PM
damn, that's so freakin' bad. I can't even begin to say how upset I am because of this. I was clearly told that there's no difference between the FS4-ProHD and the FS-C. Now here I am, a month and 1/2 into owning my FS4-ProHD and you guys are testing exactly what I need but only for the FS-C? LOL, wtf people!

Tom Houston
February 25th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Does the FS-C 60GB model exist at this point? B&H says they are accepting orders now for a future shipment. Is it in stock anywhere?

Larry Kamerman
March 19th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Does anyone know the status of the beta testing for the update for the FSC(that is, the one that will support 24f in QT)?

Tom Houston
March 19th, 2007, 09:30 PM
I spoke to a reliable source and I am being told that the FS-C is ready to go but Canon and Focus can't agree on some parts of the agreement for the C model of the firestore and that is what all of the delay has been. Meanwhile, we wait.

Doug Tessler
March 20th, 2007, 01:43 PM
I have a FS-c 100 for two months now so its available . The only feature that is not enabled is 30f . Other than that it's great.

Doug T

ESPN/ABC

Larry Kamerman
March 20th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Doug, do you mean that your FSC records 24f in Quicktime?

Tom Houston
March 20th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Doug,

$20 says the code your 100GB model is running is different than what Focus and Canon are getting ready to release now.

Tom

Doug Tessler
March 20th, 2007, 09:56 PM
I have the latests software that I got from focus today so you are wrong again !
Doug

version 2.0.0.04092006:
- Native QuickTime HDV DTE format.
- HD TC display and restripe capabilities in Native QuickTime HDV DTE format
- MXF OPatom DV DTE format.
- Added ORGANIZE MXF for MXF OPatom support.
- Added HDV TC TYPE menu functionality for HDV TC playback.
- Improved DV FORMAT QUICKTIME 24P compatibility.
- Improved disk handling.
- Improved HD playback functionality.
- Handle 999 clip limit properly.

Doug Tessler
March 20th, 2007, 10:03 PM
FS-C version 2.1 beta version 2.1.0 04112206

Thank you for participating in the FS-C version 2.1 beta test program. We appreciate your help!

Attached is the first 2.1 beta release version. Please upgrade your unit as per the instructions in the manual. If you need to return to the current shipping version of software, simply load version 2.0 (also attached). Per the beta agreement, do not distribute this software.

New Features
When in HDV record mode and QUICKTIME is the selected format, it is now possible to record 1080i/24F, 25F and 30F streams to disk in QuickTime format.

sincerely

Doug T

Send me a six pack you lose ! lol

Tom Houston
March 21st, 2007, 07:15 AM
Doug,

Let’s get real here. Beta is called Beta for a reason. I means the software is in a phase where bugs are still being worked out and it hasn’t yet reached production status. The code may be complete and ready to go but I'm hearing from reliable sources that there is an "agreement" of some sort that Canon and Focus are still working out and that is the reason the FS-C 60GB model is not shipping right now which is a good thing as I'm not interested in a "patched" FS-C with Beta code. Understand, your Beta code may very well be the final product but I'd rather have it straight from Focus/Canon.

Tom

Harry Bromley-Davenport
March 21st, 2007, 01:26 PM
There seems to be a great deal of confusion about which firestore model does what. And, apparently, the manufacturers themselves are not too reliable about their own specs.

Can some kind and knowledgeable soul inform me what my options are for use with my Canon XLH1?

I also did hear at one stage that these units are kinda noisy - perhaps too noisy for use at close quarters for quiet dialog in filmed drama. Could anyone be so kind as to give me an opinion on this?

Many thanks,

Best

Harry