View Full Version : GL2 Rack Focus

Aaron Rosen
April 5th, 2003, 04:29 PM
Hello All -

I am trying to figure out how to do the classic Rack Focus Shot. It is the one where the camera shows something in the foreground or background then the focus changes to show the oppisite. Like shooting people through a fence, then when the focus changes the fence is viewable and the people are blury.

Anyway, I know you obviously have to be in manual focus but other than that, I have no clue.

This would help in moving our work one step up so any info would be great!

Thanks

Aaron

Dylan Couper
April 5th, 2003, 05:56 PM
Just focus on the first object, then manualy focus on the second object. Not easy to do at first without a true manual lens, but eventually you will get the hang of it. Much easier to do if you had a manual lens on an XL1.

Another way to cheat it, is to use the autofocus and let it settle on the second object. Then turn off the autofocus and manually zoom to the first object. When you are ready, hit the PUSH AF button and it should automaticaly focus right back on the first object giving the rack focus effect.

Aaron Rosen
April 5th, 2003, 06:05 PM
Sounds Good.

Thanks for the help.

- AR

Hans Henrik Bang
April 7th, 2003, 02:16 AM
I would second Dylans advice. Ie. using autofocus for the second part of the shot. Tested it several times, and it works fine as long as the second part of the shot will normally be in focus with autofocus.

For example I tried it with shooting a building in the background with a few branches in the foreground. Autofocus will settle on the building, I then go to manual and focus on the close branches. During the shot, I go back to auto, and voila, the building comes into focus.

Hans Henrik

Bud Kuenzli
April 7th, 2003, 09:35 AM
in or out of post you may also want to go to aperture control and set it as low as you can if you want a blurred background. Shoot the first object in front and then focus out to the background object. take a look at how it would look if you cut between those two scenes (assuming there is no movement in them) and did a cross dissolve. If your focus shift is not as smooth as you want, a cross dissolve may be an option. It will look like the focus is changing but you may like it more or you may not...