GL2 Rack Focus at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 5th, 2003, 04:29 PM   #1
Major Player

GL2 Rack Focus

Hello All -

I am trying to figure out how to do the classic Rack Focus Shot. It is the one where the camera shows something in the foreground or background then the focus changes to show the oppisite. Like shooting people through a fence, then when the focus changes the fence is viewable and the people are blury.

Anyway, I know you obviously have to be in manual focus but other than that, I have no clue.

This would help in moving our work one step up so any info would be great!

Thanks

Aaron
Aaron Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2003, 05:56 PM   #2
Wrangler

Just focus on the first object, then manualy focus on the second object. Not easy to do at first without a true manual lens, but eventually you will get the hang of it. Much easier to do if you had a manual lens on an XL1.

Another way to cheat it, is to use the autofocus and let it settle on the second object. Then turn off the autofocus and manually zoom to the first object. When you are ready, hit the PUSH AF button and it should automaticaly focus right back on the first object giving the rack focus effect.
Old April 5th, 2003, 06:05 PM   #3
Major Player

Sounds Good.

Thanks for the help.

- AR
Aaron Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2003, 02:16 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I would second Dylans advice. Ie. using autofocus for the second part of the shot. Tested it several times, and it works fine as long as the second part of the shot will normally be in focus with autofocus.

For example I tried it with shooting a building in the background with a few branches in the foreground. Autofocus will settle on the building, I then go to manual and focus on the close branches. During the shot, I go back to auto, and voila, the building comes into focus.

Hans Henrik
Hans Henrik Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2003, 09:35 AM   #5
Regular Crew

in post, too

in or out of post you may also want to go to aperture control and set it as low as you can if you want a blurred background. Shoot the first object in front and then focus out to the background object. take a look at how it would look if you cut between those two scenes (assuming there is no movement in them) and did a cross dissolve. If your focus shift is not as smooth as you want, a cross dissolve may be an option. It will look like the focus is changing but you may like it more or you may not...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders