View Full Version : HD Editing Mistake Help...

Jonathan Bufkin
January 30th, 2007, 08:10 PM
I'm working on editing some HD 720P 24 FPS footage for a client on FCP. I mistakenly edited my footage in a sequence set to Standard Definition preset. Now I'm 6 hours into editing the project and I really should have setup the timeline for the original HD footage. I could setup a new project with the right settings but is there a way to keep my edits? I would greatly appreciate help with this.

-Jon

Jonathan Nelson
January 30th, 2007, 08:38 PM
There is probably an easier way but would I just copy and paste the clips from the sd sequence into a hd sequence.

The clips will still be in sd but that is because the motion properties of the clips is the same as they were when they were in the sd sequence. All you have to do is reset the motion properties of each clip i.e. motion tab -> basic motion -> scale - %100

Again, I am sure there is another, easier way but this method will work.

Jonathan Bufkin
January 30th, 2007, 09:09 PM
I tried that suggestion but it still looks a little stretched and not quiet the same as the original footage.

Jonathan Nelson
January 30th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Yes, the aspect ratio has to be reset back to 0. Just reset the distort settings. Sorry I did not mention that.

David Knaggs
January 30th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Perhaps you could try this (I haven't tested it but it's worth a shot). Make sure your SD Timeline is active, then go to Sequence -> Settings. Then change the settings to the same as your original 720p24 footage. You didn't say if it was HDV, DVCPRO HD or Uncompressed, but select the Compressor for whatever format it was shot in.

Jonathan Nelson
January 30th, 2007, 09:58 PM
The problem is that once the clips drop into the sequence, fcp modifies each clip's orginal settings to conform to the settings of the sequence.

From my experiences, changing the settings in the sequence only affect newly added clips and the old clips stay unchanged.

But I am a fcp newb so I am guessing there is an easy way around this.

Possibly a setting or method?

Jonathan Bufkin
January 30th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Jonathan you're the man! You saved me 6 hours of work. I did what you said with the scale and distort properties and copied and pasted attributes to the rest of the clips. Works great.

-jon