DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 30th, 2007, 08:10 PM   #1
Major Player

HD Editing Mistake Help...

I'm working on editing some HD 720P 24 FPS footage for a client on FCP. I mistakenly edited my footage in a sequence set to Standard Definition preset. Now I'm 6 hours into editing the project and I really should have setup the timeline for the original HD footage. I could setup a new project with the right settings but is there a way to keep my edits? I would greatly appreciate help with this.

-Jon
Jonathan Bufkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 08:38 PM   #2
Major Player

There is probably an easier way but would I just copy and paste the clips from the sd sequence into a hd sequence.

The clips will still be in sd but that is because the motion properties of the clips is the same as they were when they were in the sd sequence. All you have to do is reset the motion properties of each clip i.e. motion tab -> basic motion -> scale - %100

Again, I am sure there is another, easier way but this method will work.
Jonathan Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 09:09 PM   #3
Major Player

I tried that suggestion but it still looks a little stretched and not quiet the same as the original footage.
Jonathan Bufkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 09:45 PM   #4
Major Player

Yes, the aspect ratio has to be reset back to 0. Just reset the distort settings. Sorry I did not mention that.
Old January 30th, 2007, 09:49 PM   #5
Major Player

Perhaps you could try this (I haven't tested it but it's worth a shot). Make sure your SD Timeline is active, then go to Sequence -> Settings. Then change the settings to the same as your original 720p24 footage. You didn't say if it was HDV, DVCPRO HD or Uncompressed, but select the Compressor for whatever format it was shot in.
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 09:58 PM   #6
Major Player

The problem is that once the clips drop into the sequence, fcp modifies each clip's orginal settings to conform to the settings of the sequence.

From my experiences, changing the settings in the sequence only affect newly added clips and the old clips stay unchanged.

But I am a fcp newb so I am guessing there is an easy way around this.

Possibly a setting or method?
Old January 30th, 2007, 10:16 PM   #7
Major Player

Jonathan you're the man! You saved me 6 hours of work. I did what you said with the scale and distort properties and copied and pasted attributes to the rest of the clips. Works great.

-jon
Jonathan Bufkin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite