View Full Version : 4:3 and 16:9 footage on same dvd studio Help!!!

Cody Hurd
March 27th, 2007, 11:34 AM
I have 4:3 and 16:9 projects that I need to put on dvd. I cant seem to find the proper work flow to do this in dvd studio pro! When I import my assets the on a 4:3 project the 16:9 footage is incorrect and vice versa. I expected this to happen but can anyone lend some helpful advice? Im really stuck here.

Chuck Wall
March 27th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Hi

I author with scenarist and you can't mix the two aspects in the same title. The work around is to use say final cut and setup a timeline as anamorphic. Then place the 4:3 material in the timeline and output with compressor using 60 high widescreen.

It should now work in the dvd studio and still be 4:3 in a 16:9 frame.

Hope this helps

Chuck

Martin Pauly
March 28th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Hmm, on the DVD, the aspect ratio is a property of each track, not a property of the entire title. So unless you want to mix 16:9 and 4:3 footage within a single track, you shouldn't have to do letterboxing or any other tricks.

- Martin

Cody Hurd
March 28th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the replies. I tried using multiple tracks and just changing the aspect ratio per track but I noticed that when I would play them back on cheap dvd players the aspect ratio wouldn't change I ended up just shrinking the 16:9 Stuff to fit a 4:3 area. But there has to be a better way to do that.

Chris Harris
March 28th, 2007, 04:47 PM
The problem with those DVD players is that they probably aren't set up properly for the TV. If you're watching it on a 4:3 TV, the DVD player needs to be set up for 4:3 Letterbox mode, not 16:9, and not 4:3 crop/pan&scan.

Chuck Wall
March 29th, 2007, 09:13 AM
It maybe that scenarist will not allow 4:3 content to be mixed with widescreen content within a VTS. I have tried it and it will not permit the asset to be placed. A disc I am now working on has two video title sets,
one for the main movie and one for trailers/extras. All the content except for two of the trailers are widescreen. I would have had to use another vts
to place the 4:3 clips then add additional system pgc's to play them.

It was easier to make them ws in this case.

Chuck

Paul Wags
April 2nd, 2007, 09:03 AM
Arrrr...guys

Try DVD LAB Pro..cheap as... and as powerfull as scenarist.

Nate Weaver
April 2nd, 2007, 09:51 AM
DVDSP can mix aspects. They just have to be in different tracks. High end DVDs done w/Scenarist do it all the time.

I have had a couple cheap DVD players and never had one have trouble switching display modes for ratios.

Cody Hurd
April 2nd, 2007, 10:17 AM
Well I did a 4:3 Project and just changed the track whenever I had a 16:9 clip that I needed to use. When played on a 4:3 tv the 16:9 clips where cut off on the sides. What was I doing wrong then?

Liam Hall
April 3rd, 2007, 03:39 PM
Well I did a 4:3 Project and just changed the track whenever I had a 16:9 clip that I needed to use. When played on a 4:3 tv the 16:9 clips where cut off on the sides. What was I doing wrong then?

You need to set the 16:9 sequences to 'letterbox' for 4:3 playback.