4:3 and 16:9 footage on same dvd studio Help!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 27th, 2007, 11:34 AM   #1
New Boot

4:3 and 16:9 footage on same dvd studio Help!!!

I have 4:3 and 16:9 projects that I need to put on dvd. I cant seem to find the proper work flow to do this in dvd studio pro! When I import my assets the on a 4:3 project the 16:9 footage is incorrect and vice versa. I expected this to happen but can anyone lend some helpful advice? Im really stuck here.
Cody Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 09:23 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi

I author with scenarist and you can't mix the two aspects in the same title. The work around is to use say final cut and setup a timeline as anamorphic. Then place the 4:3 material in the timeline and output with compressor using 60 high widescreen.

It should now work in the dvd studio and still be 4:3 in a 16:9 frame.

Hope this helps

Chuck
Chuck Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2007, 12:17 PM   #3
Major Player

Hmm, on the DVD, the aspect ratio is a property of each track, not a property of the entire title. So unless you want to mix 16:9 and 4:3 footage within a single track, you shouldn't have to do letterboxing or any other tricks.

- Martin
Old March 28th, 2007, 01:24 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for the replies. I tried using multiple tracks and just changing the aspect ratio per track but I noticed that when I would play them back on cheap dvd players the aspect ratio wouldn't change I ended up just shrinking the 16:9 Stuff to fit a 4:3 area. But there has to be a better way to do that.
Old March 28th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #5
Major Player

The problem with those DVD players is that they probably aren't set up properly for the TV. If you're watching it on a 4:3 TV, the DVD player needs to be set up for 4:3 Letterbox mode, not 16:9, and not 4:3 crop/pan&scan.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 09:13 AM   #6
Regular Crew

It maybe that scenarist will not allow 4:3 content to be mixed with widescreen content within a VTS. I have tried it and it will not permit the asset to be placed. A disc I am now working on has two video title sets,
one for the main movie and one for trailers/extras. All the content except for two of the trailers are widescreen. I would have had to use another vts
to place the 4:3 clips then add additional system pgc's to play them.

It was easier to make them ws in this case.

Chuck
Chuck Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2007, 09:03 AM   #7
Ruler of the DownUnder UnderWorld

Arrrr...guys

Try DVD LAB Pro..cheap as... and as powerfull as scenarist.
Paul Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2007, 09:51 AM   #8
Wrangler

DVDSP can mix aspects. They just have to be in different tracks. High end DVDs done w/Scenarist do it all the time.

I have had a couple cheap DVD players and never had one have trouble switching display modes for ratios.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 10:17 AM   #9
New Boot

Well I did a 4:3 Project and just changed the track whenever I had a 16:9 clip that I needed to use. When played on a 4:3 tv the 16:9 clips where cut off on the sides. What was I doing wrong then?
Old April 3rd, 2007, 03:39 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Hurd View Post
Well I did a 4:3 Project and just changed the track whenever I had a 16:9 clip that I needed to use. When played on a 4:3 tv the 16:9 clips where cut off on the sides. What was I doing wrong then?
You need to set the 16:9 sequences to 'letterbox' for 4:3 playback.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > DVD Authoring