View Full Version : Sony XDCAM EX -- a bunch of pics

Pages : [1] 2 3

Chris Hurd
April 16th, 2007, 02:23 AM
From the Sony press conference; pretty sloppy, quick and dirty -- but better than nothing.

Unregistered users who can't see these images can grab them from www.dvinfo.net/media/nab2007

Chris Hurd
April 16th, 2007, 02:25 AM
some more...

Chris Hurd
April 16th, 2007, 02:27 AM
click thumbnails to see 'em big...

Joe Lawry
April 16th, 2007, 03:22 AM
Cheers Chris, Very very interesting,

and from what we've read here - http://www.dpreview.com/news/0704/07041601sxsmemorycardformat.asp

It looks like there will be a new line of EX camcorders.

Still think it looks very ugly, but oh well, lets wait to see some real specs and video.

Joe

Mark Utley
April 16th, 2007, 03:25 AM
Wow, I'm excited to see more about this.

Peter Jefferson
April 16th, 2007, 04:48 AM
bloody big......

Matt Davis
April 16th, 2007, 06:05 AM
bloody big......

Yes, the earlier pictures and talk of it being V1 sized had me going for a bit.

That push-pull focus ring says that you can manually control it with a proper infinity stop. If so, double-yay.

Now, this may sound unfair, but does anyone else think it's slightly 'unfinished'?

- The rear panel looks a bit lacking in protection (no door over the level knobs
- A power input that's up in the air ready to drape cables in the wrong place
- A nude and exposed FW port (the Z1's got it upturned in a way that keeps stuff out and cables don't get clonked)
- A new sort of battery?
- There's a user assigned button under the lens as well as the shutter and whitebal buttons. Any others?
- There's a TC/Userbit Duration area on the top panel - would there be a button for "bumping the timecode up one roll" even though there's no such things as rolls any more? :)
- The viewfinder looks very chunky, maybe it's required for extra strength as it slides fore and aft; which leads to the question of a quasi shoulder mount option?
- It's as if the layout of the buttons were arranged to sort of match a shoulder-mounted camera, even though remaining a 'sausage on a stick' sort of camera.

The CineAlta logo is definitely saying 'I am NOT an HDV camera'. Good to see things like Shot Transition have made it.

But if it's to be a Z1 with a better lens, a bigger sensor for DoF, XDCAM-HD performance, I think I gotta have one.

Peter Jefferson
April 16th, 2007, 06:52 AM
i certainly hope its not unbalanced like the Z1.. that and the hand grip on the Z1 made it virtually unusable to use by hand for extended periods.Ive got BIG hands, and its still doesnt fit snugly... i found my hand is overtly opened wider than is comfortable..

Marlon Torres
April 16th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Very ugly camera. Hopefully the specs will be nice.

Peter Jefferson
April 16th, 2007, 08:28 AM
wonder if theyll release one without SDI??
that should alleviate pricing issues on the outset.. by having SDI, one can only assume it wil be hitting the 10 to 15k mark (AUD)

Alex Leith
April 16th, 2007, 08:39 AM
I actually think this camera looks quite nice - certainly nicer than the HVX200.

It somehow reminds me of a modern retro take on some of the old 16mm clockwork cameras.

I'm guessing this is a non-working prototype??? Chris?

Chris Hurd
April 16th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Bob Ott of Sony told me that the price is TBD, but will be "under $8,000 USD."

Remember folks this is just a non-working prototype, a mock-up... maybe they're not finished with it yet.

Nate Weaver
April 16th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Very ugly camera. Hopefully the specs will be nice.

If it makes pictures like a 330/350, it will be the most beautiful camera available for the price.

Peter Ferling
April 16th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Ugly yes, and agree looks unfinished, maybe looking for last minute reaction? Yes, my first impression was something V1 in size as well. More comparable to a Canon XH-G1/A1 in size (and maybe weight). Larger sensor, not HDV, and flash memory that can hold an hour's worth of video, (and maybe priced very close to a XHG1?) I think I found my second camera.

Alex Leith
April 16th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Looking at the buttons on the outside it has all the user interface control surfaces exactly as I'd dream the perfect handheld camera. The back end does look a little "chopped off" - but with no tape transport to accomodate, why make it longer just for the sake of it?

I'm interested to see a "release" button near the record trigger...

Marco Dias
April 16th, 2007, 09:19 AM
The back end does look a little "chopped off" - but with no tape transport to accomodate, why make it longer just for the sake of it?.

Make it longer and cover the battery in a vertical direction. The battery looks like it's about to fall off. It's ugly in my opinion.

Brian Standing
April 16th, 2007, 03:10 PM
I'm wondering if this is the final form factor, or a rough prototype. It looks kind of cobbed together from lots of different parts -- including a mix of professional shoulder cams, handicams and Sony consumer and pro offerings. Like it can't quite make up its mind what kind of camera it is.

Sony could save a lot of bulk by getting rid of that built-in (stereo?) FX-1-style microphone, using a HANDYCAM-style operational switch/trigger, and dropping the top-mounted handle a bit. I agree with the comment about the battery mounting. I'd think a traditional vertical mount would be less susceptible to getting jarred loose.

Do we know for certain yet if this is CCD or CMOS? Sony's press releases all talk about the "XD-CAM eX SERIES of cameras." That makes me wonder if this is the "Z1" of the XD-CAM world (using CCDs, perhaps?) and we'll see a slimmed-down CMOS-based "V1" version in the future? (One can hope....)

Richard Zlamany
April 16th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Sweet deal. I like my cams ugly and mean.

I can't wait to say goodbye to tapes.

Thanks for all the pics and news.

Brian Standing
April 16th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Hey.... is that a REMOVABLE lcd screen?

Oh, never mind. I figured it out. Looks like it swings underneath the built-in microphone.

Robert Ducon
April 16th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Looks dandy. Go Sony for *not* making this a "Sony Mega-Memory Stick" format or something.

Cinealta, eh? Hmm.. don't dilute that brand!

How much is this sucker? I wouldn't mind being able to say I owned a "CineAlta" camera ;)

Tyson Persall
April 16th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Ugly? Its just kind of lumpy -compared to what were used to. Its just a slightly new form factor we haven't seen before. The shape might make it handle better - erognomics. Better sony spend the money on a cam producing the resulting picture quality then spend the any $ on making the design look sexy.

Boyd Ostroff
April 16th, 2007, 07:27 PM
bloody big......

The attached photo from Sony's presentation should give you a little better size reference. It's a bit larger than the Z1, but not a lot.

Boyd Ostroff
April 16th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Do we know for certain yet if this is CCD or CMOS?

Seems like they were intentionally being vague on this point...

Boyd Ostroff
April 16th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Regarding price and availability, the exact quotes from the presentation were "by the end of the year" and "under $8,000".

Brian Standing
April 16th, 2007, 07:50 PM
The shape might make it handle better - erognomics. Better sony spend the money on a cam producing the resulting picture quality then spend the any $ on making the design look sexy.

Actually, it's ergonomics I'm concerned about, not looks. I like the Handycam format, but I don't really want to hold a 7-pound camera up in front of my face all day. Without a shoulder brace, even the Z1 gets a bit tiring.

Paulo Teixeira
April 16th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Actually, it's ergonomics I'm concerned about, not looks. I like the Handycam format, but I don't really want to hold a 7-pound camera up in front of my face all day. Without a shoulder brace, even the Z1 gets a bit tiring.
That can’t be the weight, is it? That’s about 2 pounds to heavy. The sweet spot is keeping it at around 5 pounds or less.

Richard Zlamany
April 16th, 2007, 08:37 PM
The pd170 I use when loaded with the WA lens, light, and mics weighs 10 pounds.

IMO these cams work very well with shoulder supports, monopods, and of course tripods. I care nothing for handheld.

I think the large battery in the back will make the cam better balanced than the pd170 with the WA lens, light and mics, so all will be good.

I can't wait until the clients start asking for HD in my area, so I can have a reason to switch from SD to HD.

George David
April 16th, 2007, 08:51 PM
It's the one I've been waiting for. Gorgeous!!! Thanks for the pics.

Vaughan Wood
April 16th, 2007, 09:28 PM
If the 1/2 inch sensors give the low light performance for receptions and concert work that we've been missing since the VX2000 series of cameras, there will be an FX 7 for sale quicker than you can say "Ebay"

This is exciting news!

Cheers Vaughan

Ryan Lester
April 16th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Ditto..........

The only reason i haven't upgraded my PD170 yet was because i'm just not happy with the V1 / Z1.

Plus, i like the option of shoulder mount!

Matt Davis
April 17th, 2007, 02:07 AM
Actually, it's ergonomics I'm concerned about, not looks... Without a shoulder brace, even the Z1 gets a bit tiring.

OTOH, it could be ideal for flying on a Steadicam Pilot! :)

I note from other illustrations -

http://www.dvuser.co.uk/content.php?CID=158 - about 1/4 way down page -

that the LCD slides fore and aft, which would lead me to conclude that a shoulder mount would be an option, or better still 'an excellent third party opportunity'.

I'm getting to like the look - it's a bit like the Aeron chair, form following function and all that, but I really hope Sony rethink the battery position - the whole rear panel in fact.

Currently it looks like the camera's wearing a fanny pack...

Sergio Barbosa
April 17th, 2007, 02:41 AM
This camera was probably thought of as a 3 CMOS camera, on the camera's computer rendition, on the lower right side, you can see: "3CMOS" ...of course, the lens also says it's a Canon, and on the article below the picture, they say it's going to be a Fujinon...
Can't wait to see it at work!

Evan C. King
April 17th, 2007, 03:41 AM
My god this looks like it could be the dream camera for my film, but I'll never get it, I can barely afford a Canon A1 as it is.

Bill Busby
April 17th, 2007, 07:29 AM
My god this looks like it could be the dream camera for my film, but I'll never get it, I can barely afford a Canon A1 as it is.

Evan, never say never.

Bill

Piotr Wozniacki
April 18th, 2007, 04:11 AM
Have you seen this high-rez picture?

http://news.sel.sony.com/en/image_library/b2b/broadcast_production/content_create_edit/high/29749

Evan C. King
April 18th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Evan, never say never.

Bill

You're right Bill, I won't say never. I'm gonna use this for my second feature in '09! Well, I'm gonna try really hard.

Darrell Essex
April 18th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Anyone know if it's a fixed lens?

Darrell
FIRST CINEMA PICTURES

Alex Leith
April 18th, 2007, 03:52 PM
It will have a lens made by Canon or Fujinon (Fujinon being what the mock-up has). The prototype mock-up certainly has a "release" button on the servo handgrip... whether that's a lens release, and whether there would ever be any other lenses available for what certainly looks like a non-standard mount is another matter entirely!

Chris Hurd
April 18th, 2007, 04:00 PM
It is most definitely a fixed-lens camera. The "release" button on the servo handgrip allows it to be rotated through 90 degrees. You can then position the handgrip at any angle that's comfortable for you to use.

Alex Leith
April 18th, 2007, 04:06 PM
It is most definitely a fixed-lens camera. The "release" button on the servo handgrip allows it to be rotated through 90 degrees. You can then position the handgrip at any angle that's comfortable for you to use.

Cool! That's a pretty nifty feature. Personally I'm not bothered about it being a fixed lens camera. I've owned and operated several full-sized Beta SP and DVCAM camcorders over the years, and they all spent 99% of their time with the same lens. Get yourself a redeye adaptor and you're sorted!

Bill Busby
April 18th, 2007, 04:26 PM
The "release" button on the servo handgrip allows it to be rotated through 90 degrees. You can then position the handgrip at any angle that's comfortable for you to use.

Nice! I'm surprised this type of ergonomics hasn't been implemented on other fixed lens cameras in the past. How difficult could it be?

This has been available for quite sometime on many Canon & Fujinon lenses.

Bill

Piotr Wozniacki
April 18th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Nice! I'm surprised this type of ergonomics hasn't been implemented on other fixed lens cameras in the past. How difficult could it be?

Bill

It's not that easy to implement when there is a tape mechanism "inside" the grip, I guess.

Bill Busby
April 18th, 2007, 10:07 PM
It's not that easy to implement when there is a tape mechanism "inside" the grip, I guess.

DOH! Ok, I'm an idiot :D I didn't think about that.

Ryan Lester
April 18th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Is this thing available yet? I want one NOW!

Evan C. King
April 18th, 2007, 11:30 PM

Bill

There was an ugly sony a few years back, an hc1000 or something that had it, but it didn't go over well for the most part.

Bill Busby
April 19th, 2007, 01:30 AM
I vaguely remember that one. I found a pic.

Kris Zimbelman
April 19th, 2007, 09:19 PM
And now... for the amateur question of this thread. I don't suppose this camcorder has optical image stabilization? I know this is supposed to be a professional camcorder, but it is sort of straddling the line and looks a little bit like my VX 2000.

Doug Graham
April 20th, 2007, 12:39 PM
It's a bit larger than the Z1, but not a lot.

Oh dear...I thought the Z1 was ALREADY too big. It's no fun to shoot one handheld; should've been a shoulder-mounted form factor.

Ozzy Alvarez
April 20th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Regarding price and availability, the exact quotes from the presentation were "by the end of the year" and "under $8,000".

We seem concerned about the camera's specs, design, ergonomics, price, availability,etc. I think we need to be a little patient here. Sony just announced the intro of this new XDCAM Ex camcorder. It's obvious Sony is still working on this cam.

We may know it's a new format camcorder which records on a SxS flash card, in various forms of HD and framerates. But, the chipset hasn't finalized. Everyone keeps asking if it's CMOS or CCD, is it a fixed lens or what?? Hell, I've noticed this model doesn't even have a name yet. When Sony released their other new format cams, like their HDV cams, they already had thier names as well, the HDR-FX1, HVR-Z1U, HDR-HC3, etc. I know most XDCams go under the lettering PDW, like PDW-330, but, PDW-what for this cam??

It's obvious Sony is still working on this cam, they don't even have a name for it yet.

Ozzy

Greg Boston
April 20th, 2007, 05:33 PM
We may know it's a new format camcorder which records on a SxS flash card, in various forms of HD and framerates. But, the chipset hasn't finalized. Everyone keeps asking if it's CMOS or CCD, is it a fixed lens or what?? Hell, I've noticed this model doesn't even have a name yet. When Sony released their other new format cams, like their HDV cams, they already had thier names as well, the HDR-FX1, HVR-Z1U, HDR-HC3, etc. I know most XDCams go under the lettering PDW, like PDW-330, but, PDW-what for this cam??

It most likely won't have a PDW designator. It's not a new format, it's the XDCAM format being written onto flash, rather than optical. That's the beauty of it. Owners of XDCAM HD cameras will be able to have a smaller form factor camera that records with the same codec so they won't have to work as hard to intercut between large and small camera anymore. It IS a fixed lens camera. That much is for certain. I had the camera in my hands yesterday and it does power up. I just didn't have anything to record onto.

The rear viewfinder is color and the LCD screen tucks under the handle and swivels out to the left, then rotates into viewing position.

-gb-