View Full Version : OnLocation; any support in the works?

Peter Ferling
April 23rd, 2007, 07:40 AM
I know this is too soon, but it would be a great feature to support PPro3's new OnLocation direct capture to disk with a cineform intermediate. Hmmm, maybe I should just shutup... nah.

Douglas Turner
April 23rd, 2007, 06:16 PM
OnLocation has been around for a couple of years - called Serious Magic's DVRack with HDV PowerPack!

OnLocation will be pretty intensive on your laptop, so converting the stream to an avi using a 3rd party codec like CF might slow it down even further. When I used DVRack it was for mainly monitoring (and I wish I used it more, but when you're run'n'gunning, you tend to leave the laptop behind), but I did capture occassionally - and then simply use HDLink to convert to CF avi's. Easy.

I'd would be interested in feeding my laptop with the uncompressed SDI from my Sony Z1 and getting OnLocation to monitor and record it!

Peter Ferling
April 23rd, 2007, 08:05 PM
Speaking of monitor, it could double as backup media on the fly. I did this for DV with an ordinary labtop, an external firewire drive and Vegas 3.0.

If the digital file captured without corruption or drops, I'd just shelve the tape and edit directly.

I don't think I'd pull an HD-SDI stream. Those shots are usually locked off, or easily addressed with a 50' cable and careful footing or wrangling. I would probably bring a workstation, and then check the file on site for any retakes.

Getting back to the first statement, it would be nice to know if a laptop powerful enough exists to encode a cineform file, and avoid an ingest if possible.