OnLocation; any support in the works? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old April 23rd, 2007, 07:40 AM   #1
Trustee

OnLocation; any support in the works?

I know this is too soon, but it would be a great feature to support PPro3's new OnLocation direct capture to disk with a cineform intermediate. Hmmm, maybe I should just shutup... nah.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 06:16 PM   #2
Regular Crew

OnLocation has been around for a couple of years - called Serious Magic's DVRack with HDV PowerPack!

OnLocation will be pretty intensive on your laptop, so converting the stream to an avi using a 3rd party codec like CF might slow it down even further. When I used DVRack it was for mainly monitoring (and I wish I used it more, but when you're run'n'gunning, you tend to leave the laptop behind), but I did capture occassionally - and then simply use HDLink to convert to CF avi's. Easy.

I'd would be interested in feeding my laptop with the uncompressed SDI from my Sony Z1 and getting OnLocation to monitor and record it!
Old April 23rd, 2007, 08:05 PM   #3
Trustee

Speaking of monitor, it could double as backup media on the fly. I did this for DV with an ordinary labtop, an external firewire drive and Vegas 3.0.

If the digital file captured without corruption or drops, I'd just shelve the tape and edit directly.

I don't think I'd pull an HD-SDI stream. Those shots are usually locked off, or easily addressed with a 50' cable and careful footing or wrangling. I would probably bring a workstation, and then check the file on site for any retakes.

Getting back to the first statement, it would be nice to know if a laptop powerful enough exists to encode a cineform file, and avoid an ingest if possible.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase