View Full Version : Making a documentary with the XH A1

Ben Crosbie
June 21st, 2007, 03:57 PM
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I am currently in production of a documentary using the XH A1. I purchased the camera because of what I read on these forums, and have had help from all you guys a few times over the months with issues. Anyway, I'm posting almost daily to a blog with my experiences filming and using the camera, so I thought I'd let people know in case they were interested in it. No ads or anything on the blog (I even give props to dvinfo and link to it) -- just stories and info. I figured it could be helpful to other filmmakers. Check it out at www.eidolonfilms.com

Thanks!

Ben Crosbie
June 21st, 2007, 10:40 PM
I see already a bunch of hits on the blog from this forum, so I just wanted to say thanks for checking it out!

Doug Davis
June 21st, 2007, 11:56 PM
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/324245-REG/Sennheiser_EW112PG2_C_Evolution_G2_100_Series.html

Is this the same lav set up you guys have? I am in the market for a quality lav and receiver....

Ben Crosbie
June 22nd, 2007, 03:27 AM
Hey Doug, yes that is the same set-up we are using. We've only used it a couple times so far (one guy was way to sweaty today to wear it) but so far it has worked great. It sounds good, and we've had no problem with any interference so far.

Although I'd recommend spending $100 more and getting the eng version with the plug in transmitter. I think it can definitely come in handy if you want to go with a wireless boom or handheld mic.

David McGiffert
June 22nd, 2007, 08:14 AM
Doug,

I just shot with that brand yesterday.
It's really quite good. No interference, and when properly
adjusted, it gets good quality sound.

If I have to use a wireless system, I'm happy with this set-up.

David

Ben Crosbie
June 23rd, 2007, 12:40 AM
Just updated with a post that details some of our experiences with the xh a1. It's preliminary, but we will be posting more and more about the camera and audio set up as we use it.

Jack Walker
June 23rd, 2007, 02:25 AM
Just updated with a post that details some of our experiences with the xh a1. It's preliminary, but we will be posting more and more about the camera and audio set up as we use it.
Very good to read you notes. Thank you!

In 4 weeks I leave to do some pieces for a documentary using the XH-A1. Since I haven't even gotten the camera yet, you comments on how you work with it are very helpful.

Ben Crosbie
June 23rd, 2007, 02:51 PM
Glad that our notes helped you out! That's the whole point. Before making this film I was always searching for filmmaker experiences online and found surprisingly few blogs. Hopefully we can continue to help people.